Question Quick question about general station building

Reaction score
If I am attempting to build a space station, will there be any long term problems arising from mixing different modules from different addons, such as using Space Station Building Blocks with [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2857"]These modules[/ame] and attaching a SpaceX Dragon or two?

Also, if this is possible without any major issues, is it also possible to allow the station modules to cease to act as individual modules and act as one vessel (or will it actually matter?)

I have searched for literally days without finding an unambiguous answer to this, so a satisfactory answer will be greatly appreciated.

Mrev95

Reaction score
using Space Station Building Blocks with These modules
No compatibility issues afaik, I suggest using a DG-PMA to dock them together.

attaching a SpaceX Dragon or two?
Possible, Dragon has a CBM port.

Also, if this is possible without any major issues, is it also possible to allow the station modules to cease to act as individual modules and act as one vessel (or will it actually matter?)
No way that I know of, without serious mesh and config file editing.

EDIT: Also, welcome to the forums! :hello:

Last edited:
Reaction score
I wasnt necessarily referring to the Dragon per se, but its nice to know that itll dock. Also, with that PMA, wouldnt that essentially allow me to dock most vessels, between the DG sized port and the larger one?

Thanks very much for the PMA suggestion, by the way, as it was one of the final things I was looking for.

And thanks for the welcome. Ive been reading around the forums for a bit, but never felt I had anything to contribute. Now that I am getting further into Orbiter, I am finding that I will probably be here a lot more.

Stupid space and stupid physics, quit being so damn fascinating!

On a related note (and i might need to post this in another forum, if so, no problem), how hard would it be to set up a community server for OMP? I ask because I have a free poweredge 1800 with 3gb ram and dual 3.2 dual-cores. I was going to just set it up for me and a friend, but if there is interest, I would be open to the idea of dedicating the server to orbiter for a group. I have a huge inerest in building a space station, and would like the multiple interaction associated with it.

Would there be interest in this?

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
mixing different modules from different addons

As I am building my own space station and have conducted mass research, my only advice is to be very careful who's add-ons you use. Some dimensions are not compatible with others. Although I haven't tried to mix and match add-ons, from what I read here, some are not compatible at all. Others work great together.

If you're making your own add-on, be sure to do all original work. Almost all of the developers have put warnings in their documents about copying meshes or using their textures.

Many developers in here have, like myself, done many hours of work to make items, realistic or not, fully functional. And they would rather not see their work stolen without express permission. When in doubt ask, or do your own work. Respect in here is key to good experiences.

Personally my work will be free and un-copy protected. But it will be almost completely original, derived from public ideas mostly from NASA, but not from purely original artwork we find in here. And there is some great work here to enjoy. Unlike Goggle sketch-up, when game pieces are shared in here they are not automatically public domain.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Reaction score
As I am building my own space station and have conducted mass research, my only advice is to be very careful who's add-ons you use. Some dimensions are not compatible with others. Although I haven't tried to mix and match add-ons, from what I read here, some are not compatible at all. Others work great together.

If you're making your own add-on, be sure to do all original work. Almost all of the developers have put warnings in their documents about copying meshes or using their textures.

Many developers in here have, like myself, done many hours of work to make items, realistic or not, fully functional. And they would rather not see their work stolen without express permission. When in doubt ask, or do your own work. Respect in here is key to good experiences.

Personally my work will be free and un-copy protected. But it will be almost completely original, derived from public ideas mostly from NASA, but not from purely original artwork we find in here. And there is some great work here to enjoy. Unlike Goggle sketch-up, when game pieces are shared in here they are not automatically public domain.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

At this point, considering the multitude of absolutely superb addons available, I have neither the knowledge nor the desire to add anything, as I do not see any niches that need filling. I wouldnt even know where to begin at this point.

However, if that time does come, rest assured that I would never steal the intellectual property of anyone, as I am of the mind that someone's mind is their greatest tool, and to steal the product of someone's mind and pass it as your own is a far greater crime to me than simply taking a physical trinket.

That said, I do appreciate the warning concerning the incompatibility of some of the additions. I was somewhat under the impression that the docks were of a standard set by orbiter, but in hindsight this would seem to be a limited view, considering the huge variety in essentially every other aspect of this sim.

I do have one more question about the compatibility of some addons versus others. I have used quite a few addons that, after more reading, are actually designed for an earlier version of Orbiter. Now, keep in mind that since I realized this issue, I have been as careful as possible to make sure that the addons that I do install are for my version, and will test addons for previous versions before installing them into my primary build, but perhaps some insight into what makes some of the earlier addons compatible versus others might make my selection process a bit easier. Any information on this would be greatly appreciated, as my testing takes time that I could actually be using to fly missions.

And thank you as well for the welcome. I am sure you will find me to be a very respectful member of this fine community.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
In my travels it seems the bulk of incompatibility comes directly from add-ons created for very early orbiter versions, not working in the latest version. However there have been other situations where a complex add-on will not work with other simpler add-ons.

Simply reading up in this forum will answer a great deal of your questions, Searching is easy and after you get the hang of how the forum moves along you will be able to decipher what's best to work with.

A good example of a highly compatible add-on is/are Velcro rockets. They seem to work with most payload add-ons. Mostly you just have to see if someone has developed a scenario file, or a project of similar nature to what you want to accomplish.

URWUMPE, is a developer who can answer allot of questions in this arena, but the guys who run the forum are also quite knowledgeable. Don't be afraid to start a new thread to ask the question, but be sure to at least try searching for the answer first. These guys and gals are fairly forgiving if you at least search first.

Once again welcome, and have fun.

Reaction score
In my travels it seems the bulk of incompatibility comes directly from add-ons created for very early orbiter versions, not working in the latest version. However there have been other situations where a complex add-on will not work with other simpler add-ons.

Simply reading up in this forum will answer a great deal of your questions, Searching is easy and after you get the hang of how the forum moves along you will be able to decipher what's best to work with.

A good example of a highly compatible add-on is/are Velcro rockets. They seem to work with most payload add-ons. Mostly you just have to see if someone has developed a scenario file, or a project of similar nature to what you want to accomplish.

URWUMPE, is a developer who can answer allot of questions in this arena, but the guys who run the forum are also quite knowledgeable. Don't be afraid to start a new thread to ask the question, but be sure to at least try searching for the answer first. These guys and gals are fairly forgiving if you at least search first.

Once again welcome, and have fun.

Thanks for the advice and for the welcome.

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
No way that I know of, without serious mesh and config file editing.

This subject interests me greatly. I want my station to come together well as individual modules launched independently and as a whole station that acts as a fully assembled single station.

Which re-emphasizes my question in another thread, is it better to develop the station as an orbiting assembly first, and work backward to create the individual modules that can be assembled in a single game session?(time accelerated)

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
On a related note (and i might need to post this in another forum, if so, no problem), how hard would it be to set up a community server for OMP? I ask because I have a free poweredge 1800 with 3gb ram and dual 3.2 dual-cores. I was going to just set it up for me and a friend, but if there is interest, I would be open to the idea of dedicating the server to orbiter for a group. I have a huge inerest in building a space station, and would like the multiple interaction associated with it.

Would there be interest in this?

I'm afraid Deltawing777 has beaten you to the punch on that:
http://omp.dyndns-server.com

Reaction score
I'm afraid Deltawing777 has beaten you to the punch on that:
http://omp.dyndns-server.com

I saw that, but that was not exactly the type of project that I had in mind. I have actually already posted about the specific project that I would like to undertake, but was told by Face that OMP is simply not at the point that it would support the ideas that I have at current.

Thread link Here

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Oh, sorry. I have seen that thread, but I can't remember names, so I thought you were someone else. Oops.

Reaction score
Oh, sorry. I have seen that thread, but I can't remember names, so I thought you were someone else. Oops.

No problem. I cannot fault someone for doing the something that I have done.

I am now just focusing on finding modules for my space station that are compatible and interesting. I would welcome any suggestions from all of you concerning this. I have looked and looked, but I havent found enough to satisfy me.

Then again, my plan for the station at current is to have a massive station capable of supporting a small community.

Reaction score
Is it possible, through either stock Orbiter or through a modification, to make space station modules dock while grappled with a URMS? I am trying to build the station in orbit with URMS arms, and am finding it difficult to dock modules. Also, if the Scenario editor is the only way to do this, how do you determine what docking port is what number?

Thanks.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Is it possible, through either stock Orbiter or through a modification, to make space station modules dock while grappled with a URMS? I am trying to build the station in orbit with URMS arms, and am finding it difficult to dock modules. Also, if the Scenario editor is the only way to do this, how do you determine what docking port is what number?

Thanks.

I am not certain about the first part of your question, but for the second I use Artlav's excellent
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3437"]Docking_Port_Revealer[/ame]

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not certain about the first part of your question, but for the second I use Artlav's excellent
Docking_Port_Revealer

That is precisely what I was looking for in reference to my second request. I do appreciate it much.

Do you know of any other modules or addons that would enhance the space station building experience? I have now finished phase one of construction, and have found it interesting, and would welcome any suggestions.

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Is it possible, through either stock Orbiter or through a modification, to make space station modules dock while grappled with a URMS? I am trying to build the station in orbit with URMS arms, and am finding it difficult to dock modules.

Thanks.

On thinking about this, if I remember correctly the process to station build with URMS is to maneuver the section close to position, release the section, switch to the section and finish the docking procedure. And remember docking to attached structures causes ...unfortunate... results.

As for a good toolbox for station building-- Hmm. I'm not at my home computer but let me see if I can remember some things I use.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3058"]Attachment[/ame]

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5177"]Spacecraft3 to DLL&C++ converter 110509[/ame] This one is still in development, but it might be useful for converting the Station Building Blocks from spacecraft3 to an independent dll. I haven't tried it yet, so let me know if it helps!

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5182"]Spotlight 2[/ame] This one really makes "night" construction fun. Really adds to the atmosphere, so to speak...

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3509"]UMMUFA v.2.0[/ame]

I'm sure there are more. What launcher are you using, and are you aiming for near future, present, or full on sci-fi?

Last edited:
Reaction score
On thinking about this, if I remember correctly the process to station build with URMS is to maneuver the section close to position, release the section, switch to the section and finish the docking procedure. And remember docking to attached structures causes ...unfortunate... results.

As for a good toolbox for station building-- Hmm. I'm not at my home computer but let me see if I can remember some things I use.

Attachment

Spacecraft3 to DLL&C++ converter 110509 This one is still in development, but it might be useful for converting the Station Building Blocks from spacecraft3 to an independent dll. I haven't tried it yet, so let me know if it helps!

Spotlight 2 This one really makes "night" construction fun. Really adds to the atmosphere, so to speak...

I'm sure there are more. What launcher are you using, and are you aiming for near future, present, or full on sci-fi?

I know exactly what you are referring to concerning the docking mishaps. before using the docking port identifier, it was a game of pick a port and hope for the best.

As for vehicles, I am using the XR series vehicles, and the Delta IV rocket. I am looking for a UMMU capable capsule that can be launched with my Delta, so as to have a lifeboat docked to the station at all times, in addition to the standard XR1 or XR2 crew transport. I prefer it this way simply because I find the multiple payload capability of this Delta IV to be EXTREMELY useful for launching a multitude of different things. I will be using the XR5 for most if not all of the transport of major station modules, and will be launching all of my missions from Wideawake International, as I find the facilities there to be superb. I currently have phase one of the station in a 350x350 orbit at an inclination of 29.40 degrees.

I welcome any suggestions you may have concerning any aspect of my plan, and any criticism you may have, as well.

EDIT:

I also have a question concerning [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5215"]this[/ame]. I have interest in including it in my station, but wonder if the station would react correctly. Also, would it be possible to use several of them to allow orbital corrections and possibly as attitude correction as well. My biggest concern is that the station will not function as a single unit, and that there will be problems using it to boost orbit, if needed.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:56 AM ----------

I have just done a bit of testing and found that the Antares spacecraft works great as a rescue vehicle. I have found that using it atop my Delta IV essentially makes it a 3 stage vehicle if using the SR or LR version, and a normal 2 stage vehicle with the 2nd stage as the propulsion module for the RV version. I realize that this is not exactly how the vehicles were intended to be used, but it works great for my purposes, as the Delta IV allows great flexibility and now allows for possible manned missions.

Last edited:

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
Just a quick note to add this to the must haves. It allows you to have UMMU capability with any vessel in a scenario, as long as it has a docking port. Very handy.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3509"]UMMUFA v.2.0[/ame]

Reaction score
Just a quick note to add this to the must haves. It allows you to have UMMU capability with any vessel in a scenario, as long as it has a docking port. Very handy.

UMMUFA v.2.0

I appreciate that and thank you for the contribution. I have already downloaded it, but have found that most of the vehicles I wish to use already have UMMU capability. I do keep it in mind in the case of a vehicle that catches my eye but does not have the capability.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
This subject interests me greatly. I want my station to come together well as individual modules launched independently and as a whole station that acts as a fully assembled single station.

Which re-emphasizes my question in another thread, is it better to develop the station as an orbiting assembly first, and work backward to create the individual modules that can be assembled in a single game session?(time accelerated)

I've been working on a similar issue for my Base Improvement/Orbiter Colonization project.

So far I have found it best to start with individual modules and then assemble them into a complete station. This requires a good deal of planning before hand but pays off in ease of modeling/coding.

As for the issue of having the complete station function as a single unit, I've been breaking mine into sections and loading a custom mesh for each "phase" of construction.

Phase 1: Modules "A" "B" and "C" spawn seperately. Once they are docked in the proper configuration A, B, and C are deleted and "Station Phase 1" is spawned in thier place.

Phase 2: Modules "D" "E" and "F" spawn along with "Station Phase 1". Once they are docked in the proper configuration they too are deleted and "Station Phase 2" is spawned.

Rinse and repeat till the station is complete.

Right now I have to do this through the Scenario editor but I'm working on a script to make it automatic. The limitation is that this does not allow much flexability as it only works as long as the modules are docked in a particular configuration/order.