Projecting Cassini's Mission into the future

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
An interesting presentation here, summing up the up-to day results of Cassini mission and containing proposals on the prolonged duartions and possible mission finalization:

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/opag/march_08_meeting/presentations/spilker.pdf

If you page down to p.19 you'll see a very curious table. It turns out, for instance, that in order to send Cassini out to another Gas Giant, only 5 to 35 m/d delta V is required! (though this scenario is not considered the most plausible).

Chode

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd vote for "Impact main rings" The spacecraft may be destroyed, but the possibility of imaging the rings "up-close" would be a big plus. And, if the spacecraft is not destroyed, you get another pass, and maybe another...

Regards

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
I'd vote for "Impact main rings" The spacecraft may be destroyed, but the possibility of imaging the rings "up-close" would be a big plus. And, if the spacecraft is not destroyed, you get another pass, and maybe another...

Regards

Sounds like a cool idea, but that is probably better left off when Cassini reaches the end of its operational lifetime.

mbartley

Reaction score
escape to Centaur?

What does the "escape to Centaur" end-of-mission option mean? I'm guessing that, like the "escape to gas giant" option, they'd do several moon gravity assists (Titan?) to break out of Saturn orbit, but then where would they go? It says it would be a 3 year flight after leaving Saturn orbit.

As opposed to the flight to Jupiter option which would take 12 years. Too bad they didn't have a proposed departure date for that - I'd like to try that on Orbiter. I have a hard time believing it could be done with 5-35 m/s of delta-V.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Excellent, that makes sense!

N.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I'm now sure they wouldn't. I hadn't heard of the Centaur group, and the only connection I could make was the rocket stage's name. Daft really, but it was a Friday night...

N.

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
As opposed to the flight to Jupiter option which would take 12 years. Too bad they didn't have a proposed departure date for that - I'd like to try that on Orbiter. I have a hard time believing it could be done with 5-35 m/s of delta-V.

Very interesting. I've tried googling for more info about this, but no success so far. If anyone finds any references, please pass 'em on!

I wonder if it's possible to use slings around Titan to get into a Saturn-Jupiter transfer trajectory directly? Or would it be a case of getting into a heliocentric orbit that brings you back to Saturn for a gravity assist, and then on to Jupiter? (12 years doesn't sound like enough time for that).

Or is it a Lagrange Point -> Lagrange Point "Interplanetary Superhighway" type trajectory?

I think it might interesting to set this up in Orbiter and see what the possibilities are (Cassini orbital data are available on JPL Horizons).

Regards,
Brian

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
To me, a Jupiter mission just does not make any sense. It would take twelve years for Cassini to reach it. The spacecraft is already more than ten years old. And besides, that is twelve years that could be spent studying Saturn and its moons. Seems like that would be a better option than spending another twelve years in interplanetary space.

Might be interesting to fly in Orbiter, though.

teago

Reaction score
What does the "escape to Centaur" end-of-mission option mean? I'm guessing that, like the "escape to gas giant" option, they'd do several moon gravity assists (Titan?) to break out of Saturn orbit, but then where would they go? It says it would be a 3 year flight after leaving Saturn orbit.

This sounds like a flytandem challenge.;)