Possible Orbiter Space Flight Academy

wllmpeek

Reaction score
I wonder if there already exists a website or repositiry that teaches spaceflight skills then tests the students on their knowledge by having them undertake progressive missions, awarding medals or certifications and which upon final completion awards them their official Orbinaut Wings? If not, we need one...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
If not, we need one...

How did we ever get along fine without all that fruit salad? :rolleyes:

The only medal I ever wanted is a Purple Heart for accidential lithobraking.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There were some Virtual Space Agencies that had something similar to what you mention. But running a multi-member VSA is a lot of headache, there's always something in the way (time, exams, spouse, kid, etc).

Most VSAs like that fail. Some miserably. It can be done, but it takes a ton of work on all members involved.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
ISA ... I would say.

Gary's? Isn't that a pure private endeavour? Far away from the mentioned multi-member thing, right?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Gary's? Isn't that a pure private endeavour? Far away from the mentioned multi-member thing, right?

AFAIR, he also allowed others to take part, though its really mostly a one man show. But it was way more organized than the VSAs that started large.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
AFAIR, he also allowed others to take part, though its really mostly a one man show. But it was way more organized than the VSAs that started large.

He once wanted to open it up, but never did that. Or maybe he just told me so to elegantly dodge my application :lol: .

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
He once wanted to open it up, but never did that. Or maybe he just told me so to elegantly dodge my application :lol: .

Or just that. Maybe that is the Berlin style way of handling applications. :lol:

Majid

Reaction score
I would love to have a community-centric platform like that, where people can learn and share the spaceflight experience. I am developing something here:
http://orbiter.online/register.html
http://orbiter.online/orbiteronline.zip
(requires Dan Steph's UCGO + Perlude bases, along with VS 2013 C++ runtime components. All the instructions should be on the dashboard)

But the work is slow due to school plus real life. What's done now:

1. Rudimentary multiplayer with player synchronization
2. Base synchronization
3. Player balance is updated online whenever a user's base is used/visited.
4. UCGO air traffic present on all bases (uses LOD, so not terrible on performance)

I want to add challenge modes soon so players can submit challenges, participate, rate each other, etc. Any ideas would be welcome.

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
(requires Dan Steph's UCGO + Perlude bases, along with VS 2013 C++ runtime components. All the instructions should be on the dashboard)

Would be nice to see what it is about without having to register.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The Iron Hill guys had a good run, AFAIR they wrapped up their mission set.

Phantom Mfg is going strong, but I've not posted anything recently (because they frown upon me hooking my laptop into the network here at work, cybersecurity empire and all...)

My slowdowns are usually due to either work (mostly) or slow development process (meshes and textures)

Majid

Reaction score
Would be nice to see what it is about without having to register.

Agreed. I need to complete the front page.. :lol: I attached 2 screenies.

Attachments

• Orbiter Online- Base.png
    Orbiter Online- Base.png
    131.5 KB · Views: 28
  • Orbiter Online- Dash.jpg
    Orbiter Online- Dash.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 26

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com

Yes it is. ISA has exactly one member, me, and it's been dormant for the past 18 months. I only just fired up orbiter again last week. I've also moved the site to http://isa-legacy.gdwnet.com/ as it needs a total overhaul.

ISA doesn't award wings or anything like that. It doesn't train. It's just for my amusement.

But the work is slow due to school plus real life.

School should be a major part of your real life.

thammond

Reaction score
I was a member of SimNASA a long time ago. A really great format and probably the most successful VSA. Was really bummed when it wen't down.

I have read a lot of posts about VSA's, and come to the conclusion that for a VSA to be successful, flexibility would be the key.

Flexibility on the management side so it would be easy too manage and easy to transfer management in case existing management could not or would not want to manage anymore.

Flexibility from the astronaut side so anyone could fly a mission and get credit for it. And also that member astronauts could come and go whenever they want.

One idea would be to let anyone create there own mission(s). They could be as easy or complex as anyone could dream up. That would make the management side easier as the burden of creating missions wouldn't be on them. Perhaps that would gather interest from more astronauts also because they could select or create a mission that is of interest to them and one they are capable of performing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
what i find somewhat entertaining and very useful is watching others show their skills on a site like livestream. It also has a bit of delay meaning that what you are watching on live stream/twitch whatever are a bit delayed and the actions you see have already happened just like real space comms ;)

EDIT: as i post this there is a livestream happening now with the italians http://original.livestream.com/orbiterlivemissions
think ill pop in and say hi

Last edited:

Brad

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Running a successful VSA is a lot of work and money. It takes more than one person to run it, and that is what made SimNASA so successful. The problem is - finding and retaining the talented people who take spaceflight simulation serious while at the same time making it fun, entertaining, and enjoyable for the masses.

I suspect just like the VA, the VSA is a thing of the past unless there is a serious multiplayer component in it - in addition the stuff I listed above.