Plastic models of Nasa spacecraft, who does it, show your stuff

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I built a paper hubble, I think it looks very nice in spite of a couple of mistakes on my part. And you're right about paper... my hubble has already needed some 4 "service missions" after completed :lol:. I'd love to find a detailed JWST paper model (I don't have the skills to design it...)
Was something wrong with the mirror? :lol:

Ark

Reaction score
Was something wrong with the mirror? :lol:

He used the wrong paper, so the only image it returned was:

dilbert.jpg

Krikkit

Reaction score
Speaking of models, this one is on display at KSC.

Can you spot the problem with it?

DSC01858.jpg

Frankly I think they just got lazy, pulled the third stage off a Saturn V model and glued it on top.

ijuin

Reaction score
A LM on a Saturn IB? It would never reach orbit with that extra weight! :D

Turbinator

Reaction score
I have this in the box, but have not started to build it yet. Never built a model before this either.
I don't plan on painting it.

attachment.php

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A LM on a Saturn IB? It would never reach orbit with that extra weight! :D

Sure it would. It did. The first flight of the LM was launched on a IB. Of course, there were no legs on the LM , nor a CSM, or crew but it did fly.

BTW, just picked up the Dragon models "Lunar Landing" kit: http://www.dragon-models.com/html/11002poster.htm

1/72 scale. Detail is incredible. Correct Block II CSM. No cockpit detail represented (which I find a bit odd, but you really wouldn't see it in the completed model anyway). Still in all, it's the best version I've ever seen released in styrene plastic.

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Been away from the forum for awhile & just saw this thread. Wish I had some current photos to share, but having built models for the last 47 years, I've build quite a few spacecraft (real & scifi subjects). If you're an experienced modeler interested in building kits of real spacecraft, you owe it to yourself to visit http://realspacemodels.com/.

BTW, they have the corrected Block II CSM for both the 1/144 and 1/96 Saturn V model, as well as manned & unmanned historic spacecraft. Sorry, no DG available...;)

The models are resin, not plastic and require above average experience. Not tremendously difficult to work with, but construction techniques are somewhat different than for plastic kits.

Based on personal experience, their customer service is excellent. Never a
bad thing...

I bought the 1/144 Apollo conversion kit from Realspace Models and was very pleased with it. I just had to update my old Airfix Saturn V kit from Block I to the correct Block II.

If you want to really see a master artist's work, check out this unbelievable work on this Lunar Module...

http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/LEM-24/Descent%20stage/index.htm

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That is a spectacular build. I hadn't seen it since he'd completed the descent stage.

If you haven't yet, take a look at his photos from this past July:
http://spacemodels.nuxit.net/LEM-24/Completed model/index.htm

4 and a half years is a long time on one model though (everything is scratch built except the Dargon Astronauts). Sadly I lack that kind of patience. But kudos to Vincent.

Slaintemaith

Old Timer
Reaction score
Not bad for Gas Station Toys. The shuttle is the Columbia, by the way, since the leading edges of the wings are marked black. Pity they didn't label it.

---------- Post added at 06:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 PM ----------

Oh. Check out this guy's build of Discovery...

http://www.astrazoic.com/Space-Shuttle-Discovery.html

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Here's the old Monogram 1/48 LM-5 Eagle. Built this one some 30 yrs ago. It got knocked around over the years, and most pieces fell off, but I saved them all in a jar and it later got boxed up and forgotten. After hearing the sad news of Neil's passing, I decided to take the time to get this model back into proper condition.

MG 148 LM.jpg

1/24 Gemini:

View attachment 12646

The old Airfix 1/144 Saturn V kit. The national insignia are misaligned, but I built this way back in 1983. Maybe someday I'll repaint those areas. Would be easier than filling the seams on a new one. (RealSpace Models' resin spacecraft section recently added.)

AFX144SATV1.jpg

AFX144SATV2.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I recently bought the 1:100 kits of the LM and the CSM, planning to assemble them during the winter months.

TitanII

Reaction score
Are they the Heller or Revell kits? I've built several of each but now that Dragon has released their 1/72 scale kit with proper Block II CSMs, they're at the top of my "to do" pile.

They all build up into nice display pieces and don't take up too much space on the shelf.

Please post photos when you're done!

mode1bravo

El Hombre Nuclear
Reaction score
Regarding simulating the kapton foil on the LM descent stage, I used aluminum foil. I've seen that people have experimented with various chocolate wrappers to get that gold and orange metallic like effect. Would make a fun research project anyway.