Plastic models of Nasa spacecraft, who does it, show your stuff

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
Hi, personally I am obsessed with plastic models of all kinds of vehicles, cars, planes, and especially rockets. The only problem is lack of time.

Here is my Revell apollo 11 lunar landing site with all the details.

img1286.jpg

http://www.revell.com/model-kits/licensed/buzz-aldrin-rocket-hero.html

You can see the model I built on that website, I say it turned out pretty good. :yes:

I'm also planning on getting the 1:144 Saturn V Rocket Plastic Model Kit. I just wish there was a Saturn V plastic model with the entire launch tower. Could not find one online. Anyone know if one exists somewhere?

Also if anyone has already built the revell 1:144 Saturn V Rocket, I really want to see. There are no photos anywhere, only drawings. Curious to see what the final model will look like on my shelf.

Last edited:

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi count_volta,

nice model I have to say.:thumbup:
But what kept you from painting the shadow of the LM?
Lack of imagination? Maybe this (attachment) helps ;)

By the way: I did once try "WindowColor" for filling an similar model.
This would give you the oportunity to have a "switchable" shadow.
Although I'm not sure if there's black WindowColor available...

Just my thoughts, while I saw this beautiful model
/Kuddel

Attachments

• shadowed.jpg
    shadowed.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 110

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
Oh actually they already have the outline of the shadows for you to paint. I don't even need imagination, I just paint in a premade outline like I did for everything else in the model.

The thing is, I was afraid I was doing it wrong and that a bad looking LM shadow would make the whole thing look like crap. But your picture shows what it would look like, and it looks pretty realistic. Perhaps I should paint the shadow now. :thumbup:

Last edited:

Juanelm

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I built the 1/96 Saturn V. It's pure awesome.

Last edited:

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
Wow that looks amazing Juanelm. I even searched for it online. More expensive than the one I want to buy, but then its also much bigger.

On second thought I just found some pictures of the 1/144 scale Saturn V and now I'm not sure.

090805Complete002.jpg

090724Almostcomplete002.jpg

Yours actually looks more realistic. Its more expensive but I think its worth it. I will probably buy the 1/96 scale.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Wow that looks amazing Juanelm. I even searched for it online. More expensive than the one I want to buy, but then its also much bigger.
It does. The SM however is incorrect for the Saturn V. It is a Block I SM which can easily be recognized by it's unpainted radiator panels and the lack of EPS radiator panels around the very top of the SM/CM interface.

AFAIK no Block I SMs ever flew on the Saturn V, just Block IIs.

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but what is a block I service module?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi count_volta,

nice model I have to say.:thumbup:
But what kept you from painting the shadow of the LM?
Lack of imagination? Maybe this (attachment) helps ;)

By the way: I did once try "WindowColor" for filling an similar model.
This would give you the oportunity to have a "switchable" shadow.
Although I'm not sure if there's black WindowColor available...

Just my thoughts, while I saw this beautiful model
/Kuddel

Then you need to put the shadows on each rock and crater rim.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance but what is a block I service module?
There were two versions of the Apollo CSM designed and built, called "blocks". Block I was to be an early LEO-only CSM with no docking capabilities, just to try out the CSM manned. The full-up lunar version was Block II. No Block I CSMs were ever flown manned after the Apollo I(AS-204) fire at pad 34.

When the Apollo CSM made its first flight with a crew it was with a Block II CSM. The Skylab and ASTP CSMs were modified Block IIs.

The were many differences between the two Blocks, with the EPS and ECS radiator panels being one of them.

Last edited:

count_volta

Ukranian space nut
Reaction score
Yea I guess we have to compromise with the block 1 thing. Nothing is truly perfect, not even orbiter. After all orbiter is constantly being modified.

Starshipexplorer

Reaction score
Hi Count. Vey nice. I too have a number of spacecraft models.....some real spacecraft...mostly various scifi kits. While most are in their original boxes (cover art)... some are built. Even have an original Aurora 2001 Moonbus... built many moons ago in younger years. It it safely in a box surrounded by styrofoam as I dont have the space to display. Wasnt very good back then building models, it's in fair condition. :)

Last edited:

lennartsmit

Reaction score
I did some models too (Mercury Redstone and Spaceship One).
These were paper models though, available free online.
It's really nice to see those sheets of paper turn into 3D models.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I once had a lovely Titan II - Gemini model I got from the KSC gift shop when I was a little kid back in the 70s. Wish I still had it, but I probably broke it.

Starshipexplorer

Reaction score
Just FYI, saw that Mobius Models is bring out the Moonbus from 2001: A Space Odyssey (April 2010). This kit hasn't been in production for about 40 yrs. :)

Slaintemaith

Old Timer
Reaction score
Here are some pics of the models I've built. I'll soon be working on a 1/72 scale shuttle (with ET and SRBs) that I plan on ultra-detailing.

Starshipexplorer: We have the "Space Clipper" in my store. (I work in a hobby shop)

Attachments

• From Phone 317.jpg
    From Phone 317.jpg
    193.2 KB · Views: 67
  • From Phone 311.jpg
    From Phone 311.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 84
  • From Phone 315.jpg
    From Phone 315.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 65
  • From Phone 312.jpg
    From Phone 312.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Been away from the forum for awhile & just saw this thread. Wish I had some current photos to share, but having built models for the last 47 years, I've build quite a few spacecraft (real & scifi subjects). If you're an experienced modeler interested in building kits of real spacecraft, you owe it to yourself to visit http://realspacemodels.com/.

BTW, they have the corrected Block II CSM for both the 1/144 and 1/96 Saturn V model, as well as manned & unmanned historic spacecraft. Sorry, no DG available...;)

The models are resin, not plastic and require above average experience. Not tremendously difficult to work with, but construction techniques are somewhat different than for plastic kits.

Based on personal experience, their customer service is excellent. Never a bad thing...

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I did some models too (Mercury Redstone and Spaceship One).
These were paper models though, available free online.
It's really nice to see those sheets of paper turn into 3D models.
I made Atlantis as a paper model. Really nice when it's all finished. But then it got squished in a move. That's the disadvantage of paper models. :-(
I plan to redo it and do a Saturn V at some stage too. If I get time...

evilfer

Reaction score
I made Atlantis as a paper model. Really nice when it's all finished. But then it got squished in a move. That's the disadvantage of paper models. :-(
I plan to redo it and do a Saturn V at some stage too. If I get time...

I built a paper hubble, I think it looks very nice in spite of a couple of mistakes on my part. And you're right about paper... my hubble has already needed some 4 "service missions" after completed :lol:. I'd love to find a detailed JWST paper model (I don't have the skills to design it...)