Project Planetary Textures for D3D11

Veterok

Reaction score
Just checked on the server - it is broken there ("Invalid archive blah-blah" when I try to open it). Please delete the current one and re-upload.

The archive was broken on my copy too. Not sure how that happened. I've got a working zip up now.

asmi

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The archive was broken on my copy too. Not sure how that happened. I've got a working zip up now.
Just re-checked - yes, now it's good on the server. Thanks for fixing that up!

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Im getting a 404 error for all three of the Callisto files. Are the links right and are the files there?

Richieb

Reaction score
Thanks for fixing Moon Surface LVL11. Sorry I didnt reply sooner but I was away.

luki1997a

Reaction score
Hi, great job with these textures ;), but can someone post some screenshots? I don't know if threre is a point in leaving my pc on for ~12 hrs to download all of them, if I don't know how does they look. I would be very happy if someone post some screenshots:)

ggrof

Reaction score
Ok....sorry about the stupid question(that certainly was made a lot of times), but...

With D3D11 will be possible make 3D terrains??

Glider

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok....sorry about the stupid question(that certainly was made a lot of times), but...

With D3D11 will be possible make 3D terrains??
This is what possible now:
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

First 2 screenshots - region around Everest mount as it can be seen with L11/13 Earth heightmap (530 Mb). Last one - example of terrain created with ridge noise. So, yes, it will be possible to create terrain by specifing terrain function in planet config or by heightmap file. Currently I'm working on crater noise module that is a must have for atmosphereless planets (there's no module for generating crater heightmaps in noiselib). I'll release it when I'll get craters and diffuse/height/normal microtextures working correctly.

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
This is epic work. No question about it. Thanks for doing this. It is going to add greatly to the Orbiter experience, having terrain to fly over.

Veterok

Reaction score
I'll release it when I'll get craters and diffuse/height/normal microtextures working correctly.

Looks terrific. I haven't checked this thread in a few weeks, I've been busy building a shed during my free time. I tried mosaicing the MRO CTX in ISIS3 into a level 14 map, but it turns working with a few terabytes of RAW image data takes more than 8GB of ram, so I've given up on that for the time being.

I'm looking forward to working on microtextures!

I'm pretty late on this reply, but for the request for screen shots, I don't have any, sorry. But here's a video.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
You are really going to make me spend 300€ on Vista... :lol: :suicide:

errr I meant Windows 7 of course :facepalm:

... selling Vista for 300€... :rofl:

Last edited:

ggrof

Reaction score
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

First 2 screenshots - region around Everest mount as it can be seen with L11/13 Earth heightmap (530 Mb). Last one - example of terrain created with ridge noise. So, yes, it will be possible to create terrain by specifing terrain function in planet config or by heightmap file. Currently I'm working on crater noise module that is a must have for atmosphereless planets (there's no module for generating crater heightmaps in noiselib). I'll release it when I'll get craters and diffuse/height/normal microtextures working correctly.

awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!! great job!!!!!! is like a procedural system, as in space engine, or more like orulex? or anything else?

AmBaIbA

Reaction score
I hope that you can receive the permission to use the Celestia textures, could be great!

Veterok

Reaction score
I hope that you can receive the permission to use the Celestia textures, could be great!
I converted several of the textures that were posted under a creative commons license, the links are on page 2.

Uh... did you already do it or is that just a local map?

I was actually working on colorizing the THEMIS IR (there isn't a visible dataset is there, that would make feel pretty dumb) data using the lower resolution viking color maps, (and filling in the missing data) but wasn't really satisfied with the results. I guess I can give it another shot, I'm a lot further along on that project than the CTX map anyways. :cheers:

The main problem was that the projection on the Viking and Themis data don't quite match up, so combining the two tends to make features a little blurry. But if I don't overlay the viking data and I just use a color lookup table to convert the IR image the familiar coloring patterns on Mars aren't there. Mars doesn't look like Mars.

Last edited:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
picture.php
picture.php
picture.php

Is there collision detection built into this terrain or is it just for show?

Fert

Reaction score
I have experimental area only. Color is added as well (Viking).:cheers:
Collect CTX mosaic probably makes no sense: too long and large.
It makes sense to continue the experiments with Themis and the colors of Viking. I don't see any alternative.
Themis should well lie on the MOLA.
We can make Themis main and add CTX top (how did Google).

Veterok

Reaction score
Well, I thought I'd post a little info on how I'm going about coloring the IR texture.

I'm using ImageMagick command line utilities on a windows machine for all operations.

The THEMIS Daytime IR mosaic has a 100mpp resolution, I'm going to use the lower resolution 230mpp (grayscale) visible spectrum MOC to provide some additional shading.

This is a small section of the THEMIS Day IR mosaic.
Zz3H0.png

This is a matching contrast enhanced tile of the MOC global map.
2aoIj.png

I can combine to the two images using a softlighting composite, this helps to darken some of the brighter areas on the IR image, and adds some features that are invisible in the infrared.
Code:
convert moc.png themis.png -compose softlight -composite themis_moc_sftlit.png
0VKlo.png

Now we colorize the image using grad.bmp as a color lookup table. This is gradient made in Gimp from the color pallet of the viking color map.
Code:
convert themis_moc_sftlit.png grad.bmp -clut colorized.png
-clut matches the intensity levels in the grayscale image, with the matching intensity(and color) from the gradient.
rgb7W.png

This looks pretty good, but there are some important differences when we compare it to the viking tile.
9BVTm.png

We're missing the dark purplish spots, and the crater on the left is far too bright. A few missing dark spots doesn't seem like a big deal until you zoom out, and find that the major light and dark features on the planet no longer stand out.

So, I'll go back and experiment with different composites, blending images, or altering the color look-up table.

ScorpyX

Reaction score
forgive me - I could not resist the mix of this video with music - Play
btw it's pretty amazing project