OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now debating proprietary vs. open-source!)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The Ubuntu 10.10 thing was in July? Where have I been these past three months?! :blink:

EDIT: Didn't see Orb's post. So I'm not losing my mind after all. :lol:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I believe there's incorrect month here. I remember setting this title like 2 weeks ago. :p

Argh, my apologies, mate! I had accidentally duplicated the 14 Jun 2010 date, so that threw the next five entries off by one. List corrected now. :)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I tried upgrading to Ubuntu 10.10 from 10.04 LTS. I won't make that mistake again:facepalm:After about 3 hours of upgrading, I rebooted my computer and was very dismayed to be greeted with a command prompt. It seems 10.10 and NVidia do not get along very well. I spent the rest of the day rolling back to 10.04 and restoring my backups. A teachable moment, ladies and gentlemen: read those release notes!

Keatah

Reaction score
OS WARS MEGA THREAD (Now with Mac crunchy bits!)

[highlight]The following posts have been moved from "Orbiter on Mac systems?? Does it work?" thread.[/highlight]

I'm getting tired of all the crap that goes on with windows systems, seems like there is too much maintenance to be done like virus scanning and software updating and defragging and the like. So I be looking into getting a Mac, in hopes that the operating system is more "Self-healing" and "auto-maintained".

And perhaps this pic says it best -- http://techhaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/e8o55l1.png

Granted they coiled the Mac's mouse wire perfectly and made the pc's an un-even mess more or less.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
You do realize that all Macs since 2006 have *been* PC's, right?

MikeB

Reaction score
I use Windows XP in a Boot Camp partition on a MacBook Pro. I currently have that partition set at 30 GB, but I've successfully run Orbiter with a partition as small as 10 GB. (I increased the size in order to run some other apps as well.) One of the neat things about Boot Camp is that you can delete a partition and make a new one without rebooting the Mac (but make sure you have a backup of your Mac's boot drive). I experimented with partitions as small as 5 GB.

The downside to running Windows is that it is actually Windows, with all of the security issues. I keep my Orbiter installations on an external drive, so that I can wipe and reinstall Windows without disturbing my favorite Orbiter configurations.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
The downside to running Windows is that it is actually Windows, with all of the security issues. I keep my Orbiter installations on an external drive, so that I can wipe and reinstall Windows without disturbing my favorite Orbiter configurations.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can reinstall windows while keeping your personal data can't you?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
So I be looking into getting a Mac, in hopes that the operating system is more "Self-healing" and "auto-maintained".
Not particularly, no. Macs can get viruses just like PCs, it's just a lot less common. Running a mac without antivirus is still asking for trouble.

And perhaps this pic says it best -- http://techhaze.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/e8o55l1.png

Granted they coiled the Mac's mouse wire perfectly and made the pc's an un-even mess more or less.
Not exactly a fair comparison, given that's showing an all-in-one mac versus a standard desktop PC.

One of the beautiful things about PCs is that you get choices. They make all-in-one PCs, too: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HP_TouchSmart"]HP TouchSmart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

Just run a search for "all-in-one pc" and you'll get plenty of machines made by several different manufacturers.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
you mean with intel chips?

Yes, though it's not just "Intel chips" that make it a PC. For one thing it's certain Intel chips (namely, x86 processors. Not all chips that Intel produces are processors, and not all processors they produce are x86's, though the x86 has been their main product for the last three decades), and for another thing, there's more that goes into making a system a "PC" than just having an x86 processor. Back in the early days of the PC, there were a lot of non-PC-compatible competitors to the PC that used x86 processors.

Tommy

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can reinstall windows while keeping your personal data can't you?

It depends. You can "repair" a Windows install without losing data, but sometimes you simply have to re-format the partition and start over. Since most "store-bought" PC's have everything on one partition, that's a problem.

If you're smart, you will will have re-partitioned your hard drive, with the OS and applications (at least the ones that use the registry since you'll have to re-install them when you re-install the OS anyway) on one partition, and all your data (and app's that don't use the registry, such as Orbiter) on another partition.

This isn't exclusive to Windows, it's good practice no matter what OS you use. Many Linux distro's ( but not all - and the trend seems to be going to the "one partition" model) do this by default during the initial installation, I'm not sure with a Mac.

If you use a dual boot system (I dual boot with Linux) and have Windows primarily for gaming, it may be a good idea to disable the network interface device on the Windows install.

lindemherz

Reaction score
This isn't exclusive to Windows, it's good practice no matter what OS you use. Many Linux distro's ( but not all - and the trend seems to be going to the "one partition" model) do this by default during the initial installation, I'm not sure with a Mac.

As a general rule, Macs allow you to repartition your hard disk anytime you want as long as you have free space, and most Mac apps (those that don't deal directly with the hardware, are OS maintenance and utilities, or interact with other software) are just drag and drop folders.

And if push comes to shove, we always have Time Machine (think of it like Windows Restore on steroids), which makes totally restoring a system (or transferring your entire system to another Mac) a matter of just plugging in your TM drive, dropping the Installer DVD in, and going for a walk for a couple of hours. As long as you don't have any virus, of course.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Not exactly a fair comparison, given that's showing an all-in-one mac versus a standard desktop PC.

One of the beautiful things about PCs is that you get choices. They make all-in-one PCs, too: HP TouchSmart - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just run a search for "all-in-one pc" and you'll get plenty of machines made by several different manufacturers.

Not to mention that nowadays laptop sales exceed desktop sales, so that comparison isn't really even representative of the modern Mac or PC.

---------- Post added at 02:03 ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 ----------

It depends. You can "repair" a Windows install without losing data, but sometimes you simply have to re-format the partition and start over. Since most "store-bought" PC's have everything on one partition, that's a problem.

If you're smart, you will will have re-partitioned your hard drive, with the OS and applications (at least the ones that use the registry since you'll have to re-install them when you re-install the OS anyway) on one partition, and all your data (and app's that don't use the registry, such as Orbiter) on another partition.

Even with that, a virus can still potentially infect apps or damage data on your data drive.

One problem with the "Separate / and /home partitions" model, given the way Linux does things is that you have to guess how much space you'll need for root when you set things up, otherwise you end up needing to repartition to grow the / partition, since anything installed through the package management system ends up in /. I still find it superior to having a single partition, but it is a problem.

As a general rule, Macs allow you to repartition your hard disk anytime you want as long as you have free space,

Linux pretty much does the same with software that ships with popular distributions, and I'm pretty sure that such partition editing software exists for Windows, even if it doesn't come included. The one limitation, which I'm pretty sure has to apply to Macs as well, is that you can't edit the partition that an OS is running off of while it's running, since you can't access a partition while it's being edited. You either have to run your partition editor from an OS booted off of removable media (CD, flashdrive, etc.), or one booted off a partition you aren't editing.

and most Mac apps (those that don't deal directly with the hardware, are OS maintenance and utilities, or interact with other software) are just drag and drop folders.

I'm not sure what you mean by this...

And if push comes to shove, we always have Time Machine (think of it like Windows Restore on steroids), which makes totally restoring a system (or transferring your entire system to another Mac) a matter of just plugging in your TM drive, dropping the Installer DVD in, and going for a walk for a couple of hours. As long as you don't have any virus, of course.

I must admit that that is a nice feature.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Since most "store-bought" PC's have everything on one partition, that's a problem.
As a general rule, Macs allow you to repartition your hard disk anytime you want as long as you have free space...
Not really a problem, and that's not a feature specific to Macs--Windows 7 can shrink the partition it's on and make a new one, as long as you have the free space.

Wally

Reaction score
Not particularly, no. Macs can get viruses just like PCs, it's just a lot less common. Running a mac without antivirus is still asking for trouble.

I beg to differ. Yes, Mac OS X can get malware if you really want to, but not just like PC. And running antivirus on Mac OS X is really a joke. No one really needs it.

Dambuster

Reaction score
My simple reasons for liking Macs:
  • the OS and the computer are made by the same company. None of that "oops, this bit of hardware won't work with your computer/software/whatever" stuff. Also, this cuts out all that irritating BS about who you go to when you have a problem.
  • They're reliable. The only problems I've ever had with Macs have been my fault.
  • They're quite intuitive, and I like the Terminal thingey.
  • When installing a programme, I don't have to worry about dragging X file to Y folder and A file to A folder and B file to A folder and A, B and C files to Z folder. I just drag the application (which is usually nicely named with the name of the application to the Applications folder, and double click it.
  • If worse comes to worst, I can always install Windows on it anyway.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The only true operating system is Atari TOS (Not IBM TOS, what was the predecessor of IBM DOS, which has nothing to do with MS DOS).

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What's a Mac? :)
I ever seen one in exhibitions and for sale at ludicrous cost.

It's basically Unix, right? Do Wine run there, or does it take a different translator to make the all-pervasive Windows apps to run?

The only true operating system is Atari TOS
TOS=True OS?

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
I know that this has been perhaps said many times before in this thread, but one thing really baffles me. How come, that even on this forum, which has some kind of reputation of being full of intelligent people, we need to fight over who(se) OS is better? I like Windows, because I've always used it. Does it bother you, Mac users, or Linux users? Come on, think a little and you'll see that this entire conflict is useless.