Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Experimental "solid" collision detection system for Orulex:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/collision_orulex_090128.php

ADD:
Version with tilting support.
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/collision_orulex_090128-tilt.php

ADD2:
Version with UMMU support fixed and no tilting support.
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/collision_orulex_090128-ummu.php

Usage:
Unpack, activate collision-core module.
Compatible with all 2008 and 2009 Orulex versions (0.9.0+).

The module is a meshland derivative made specifically for vessel-ground collision detection for Orulex.

It should provide solid collisions, stability of landed vessels at all time accelerations, state save/load support and minimal UMMU support.

It should also be stable - no jerking of the vessels, no jumping into space at warp speed, just hit&land.

If you're testing it, please write back if it is not so, under what conditions there are bugs, any suggestions you want to share, etc.

Last edited:

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
what's the UMMU support like ?
EDIT1: I have just downloaded it as soon as the Hight Map is down I will go in to orbiter to try it
EDIT2: is this like MeshLand ?
EDIT3: Its working fine :) no impact on FPS but I have not landed properly yet but that's just me landing wrong

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
what's the UMMU support like ?
If you download the fix below (or above) - walking around the mesh with WASD keys (default ones fire RCS's which screws the motion).

Version with UMMU support fixed and no tilting support:
http://orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/collision_orulex_090128-ummu.php

is this like MeshLand ?
It is MeshLand in essence, but instead of "one addon to rule them all" general purpose collision system it is a separateable special-case implementation of it.

I was thinking about making a sort of Universal Collisions SDK, something add-on developers can link to their DLL's to make their vessels landable Shukra-style, or collideable MeshLand centrifuge/hover carrier style.

That is the only way i found to make it work acceptably out of the Orbiter core.

UMMU on the edge of the Brighton Impact Crater:
ummu-brighton-crater.jpg

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I keep getting a CTD on load with the XR2 I will post my log soon let me just try again

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I keep getting a CTD on load with the XR2 I will post my log soon let me just try again
I get it too, the crash happens with XR2 on the Moon in the XR2 vessel module, will investigate.
No crash on Mars.
What happens on your side?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
It just CTD's with no errors

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It just CTD's with no errors
Um, planet? Scenario? Place and time? Conditions? Orulex version? Collision version?
Other sets of answers?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Latest Orulex on earth with the latest collision plugin from the link above.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Ok, planet? Scenario? Place and time? Conditions?
Other sets of answers?
Any combination where it works?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I just told you all the stuff you wanted to know above and it was the 1st XR2 Scenario at the top of the folder.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I just told you all the stuff you wanted to know above and it was the 1st XR2 Scenario at the top of the folder.
More precisely, i was interested if other scenarios work or not and if there is a scenario that work. Like one on Olympus.

Anything in the Orbiter, XR2Ravenstar or Orulex logs?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
ok tried it again and it still crashes and the Orulex and orbiter logs are not created
EDIT1:mars works but what Velocity should I land at ? I just Tried to land and I bounced up about 100 Meters

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Was wondering if development on this is still continuing.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Was wondering if development on this is still continuing.
More or less. Orulex is long-obsolete and there is little interest in imperfect ground collision detection, but the system itself is still being developed along with NASSP and a few toys surface occasionally - look for Asteroids game for example.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
I am trying to get an understanding of how you implemented this - for collision detection do you use bounding sphere detection....like if a body comes in a certain radius of a object you notify the body that it has collided ? Is there also a notification of the amount of reaction force to a colliding body ?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I am trying to get an understanding of how you implemented this - for collision detection do you use bounding sphere detection....like if a body comes in a certain radius of a object you notify the body that it has collided ? Is there also a notification of the amount of reaction force to a colliding body ?
No, each vessel have a set of points defined, which are tested against the polygons of surface base meshes, or Orulex function surface. Then, the results are integrated and constraints are solved to position the vessel according to a collision that occurred, and forces are added.

It's not event driven in this version, the one in Asteroids! is. The vessels positions an velocities are just updated. UMmu's are handled as special cases, always bound to the ground.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
ok I was trying orulex landgen....I got the heightmap for the moon and placed it in right folder etc. Its generating a heightmap for the moon correctly but Brighton beach may have got buried under the heightmap I think.....I started with the Brighton Beach scenario in the Delta Glider Folder - Orulex starts up after the Delta glider is shown near the cylindrical building at Brighton Beach - however the minute pre computation is complete and it starts rendering the polygons, the delta glider is flung out to some altitude above the moon surface and start rotating violently - the camera follows and since the initial camera is looking at the delta glider from Brighton, the glider is hardly visible - also I can see large polygons being drawn around and when I change the camera to Delta glider centred - I can see that the moon surface is beautifully rendered and the crater for Brighton Beach is visible - however the delta glider is out of control - and no amount of leveling or kill rot brings it under control - I would be happy to supply a video if you can tell me how to record the whole startup sequence.