Project Orion MPCV

pclaurent

Daydreamer
Reaction score
Here is my version of Orion+EUS launch scenario and config files, to install on top of SLS2016. Due to the diameter of the EUS, I wasn't able to use the top fairing (with NASA logo). But Orion is now correctly attached to the EUS. See included scenario for instructions.

Attachments

• SLS_2016_Orion_EUS_update.zip
    4.9 KB · Views: 13

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I get this with your set up:
B7sQlpz.jpg

With my setup I get this:
nMBT0IE.jpg

pclaurent

Daydreamer
Reaction score
I wish I could use your model because it is definitely nicer. The question is: what does it look like when Orion+EUS are in orbit? When I tried, Orion was away from the EUS. So the only way I found to get both modules attached was to put Orion CM directly on top of the conic fairing. That explains the other external design...

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh I see. So is there a structure that should be there?
gr7qQSH.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

What if the fairings that go between didn't fall off.
I had them labeled as FAIRING. I that the Orion Nasa labeled as Booster_7. IF you reverse that the nasa Fairing fall off and the other stay. Not sure then if both are boosters to tell them to fall off?

PDF

Addon Developer = Media Render
Reaction score
Website
www.planetarydefensefoundation.com
SLS Support to Gattis & SLS Video

Gattis to have the scenario ready for launch with propellant fuel loaded open the scenario file as text and scroll down to SLS:Multistage2015 where you see PRPLEVEL set it to say

Code:
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000000 1:1.000000 2:1.000000 3:1.000000 4:1.000000 5:1.000000 6:1.000000 7:1.000000

Here is a short video of all the great work going on in Orbiter 2016 and the SLS Orion & Cargo version, thanks guys :)

Orbiter 2016 - SLS Orion & SLS Cargo - Video

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Here is a short video of all the great work going on in Orbiter 2016 and the SLS Orion & Cargo version, thanks guys :)

Good video but... Holy God, why... why that crappy dance/electronic music?

;-)

barrygolden

Reaction score
I still enjoy seeing what could happen. as for the music not sure if George Strait has a song that would work for that.

I wish some one would look at 4th rocks Altair and get it working in 2016 and take Altair 1 and use like an Apollo 5 flight. A test of the SLS and Altair. That would make a good first SLS flight.

Also need help or advice with the skylab 1973 in 2010, just got new computer and the Saturn 5launches but unable to deploy the sun shades or solar wing. I did press the right keys. Also there is a video about skylab on you tube and it shows 2 eva guys can't seem to find them as well

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wish some one would look at 4th rocks Altair and get it working in 2016 and take Altair 1 and use like an Apollo 5 flight. A test of the SLS and Altair. That would make a good first SLS flight.

Also need help or advice with the skylab 1973 in 2010, just got new computer and the Saturn 5launches but unable to deploy the sun shades or solar wing. I did press the right keys. Also there is a video about skylab on you tube and it shows 2 eva guys can't seem to find them as well

Well what doesn't the Altair do? Email me. I might can take a look.

We are working on the fairing issue also

barrygolden

Reaction score
Welcome back. I have been a fan of orbiter for awhile as well and with the retirement of shuttle this could be the next big addon for 2016.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So What if on the SLS we make the Universal Stage Adapter an Interface. I am not sure if it 1 piece or 2 or 4?

That way when the EUS runs out of fuel it will seperate and the Orion will be free?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
picture.php

You mean like this?

I put 3 attachment points to the EUS. The first is on the top of the universal spacecraft adapter, carrying the Orion. The Orion is separated first, using the [J] key.

I guess the spacecraft adapter will be one piece only. It has to carry the weight of the Orion during launch. Splitting it into pieces would weaken the shell.

The two other attachment points are at the spacecraft interface plane, at the bottom of the universal stage adapter. Once the Orion is clear of the EUS, the universal adapter (white cone) can be separated, and after this a secondary payload (here a Cygnus-type mini hab). All these events are activated by the [J] key.

Will check if there are no unwanted side effects. If all is well, I will include this in the next release.

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
picture.php

The new version 14 can be downloaded from the first page.

What's new?
- SLS upper stage defaults to EUS.
- Universal payload adapter allows a secondary payload.
- Deep space habitat is in Moon orbit.
- Solar electric Mars ship is available.
- Scenario files now have preview pics.

The deep space habitat and the solar electric ship are config-file vessels only, to have docking targets for the Orion. These vessels have basic RCS thrusters. The solar electric ship has an (overpowered) ion drive, in case someone wants to try a Mars mission. :)

pclaurent

Daydreamer
Reaction score
Perhaps I've missed something, but it seems to me that the Orange-SLS is not powerful enough to put Orion+EUS in LEO (EM-2 mission). No problem with EM-1 and the lighter ICPS, but EUS seems too heavy for that. If someone has succeeded, is it possible to have a typical launch profile with some values for Alt + inclination during launch? And is there any plan for an autopilot (for lazy people like me ;))?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
... it seems to me that the Orange-SLS is not powerful enough to put Orion+EUS in LEO

This was already a topic a little earlier. The EUS is indeed quite heavy and needs a different ascent profile:

Because of the higher mass of the EUS the inital acceleration is slower. So wait a little longer before tipping over after launch, and aim for a higher orbit, like 300 km.

Just before burnout of the first stage pull up to +30° to build up positve vertical speed (+1000 m/s). This will help to gain speed with the EUS, rather than fighting gravity with this stage when fully fueled.

Have the Surface MFD open and watch for the vertical speed. If it approaches 0, pull the EUS up +30 or +40°, to keep the vertical acceleration around zero.

The Block 1B SLS could indeed stand more powerfull boosters to ease ascent, but I am not sure if this planned.

For an autopilot you could give the Launch MFD a try (but I don't know if it works for multistage launchers).

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For an autopilot you could give the Launch MFD a try (but I don't know if it works for multistage launchers).

Try to use ms2015... it was 3 years of work for the autopilot for multistage launchers, it may solve this