Project Orion MPCV

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francisdrakex.deviantart.com
picture.php

The new update '13' is on the front page.

Changes:
A simple Exploration Upper Stage (EUS) for the orange SLS is now available. It has an attachment point and a docking port up front. Currently this is only to carry the Orion, no fairings for other payloads yet.
(The scenario keyword ICPS can be used to force the smaller upper stage.)

The Orion's solar panels show a deep blue colour, as in the pictures on the tests.

New touchdown points for the chutes, as in the example above.

Last edited:

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
picture.php

The Orion docked to the Deep Space Habitat (DSH) in Lunar orbit.

I wonder if the makers of the ISS 3.2 can still be contacted? I wrote a message to Thorton, but he seems absent since long. I made this DSH from modules of the ISS 3.2 and would like to get their permission to include it with the Orion MPCV as a docking target in lunar space.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have offered to help to make the gateway. I think you could make it from several add-on now.

barrygolden

Reaction score
I to think a lot of the Gateway station might already be done. You could use the harmony node or 2 of them to create the core along with the cupola on top with the SSRMS There would need to be a platform to store external cargo like the ELC's and 4 docking ports The part not done is the inflatable hab ring. keeping in mind this needs to fold up so it could be launched on one SLS launch

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
It looks like there are various DSH concepts, depending on a staying duration of 180 or 500 days. The simple ones have a Unity or MPLM module plus a utility module with solar arrays. Others combine more ISS-type modules, some include inflatable modules.

Some guesses, any of them may be wrong:
- The DSH will not be built before the end of the ISS (2026). There may be a 10 years gap between these two vessels.
- The habitat modules will be of ISS-derived design, so their shape will be familiar. Extra radiation protection may be added to the interior for operation outside of the van Allen belt.
- Given the current political situation the Russians may go their own way, so maybe no Russian modules will be included.
- The DSH shall be versatile and can be relocated. The inital push will be by an EUS towards high Earth orbit, EML1-point or lunar orbit. A solar electric space tug may be added as a test bed for later Mars missions.

barrygolden

Reaction score
franisdrake I'm planning to start flying the MPCV with my own Space program and wondering if you could add the logos to the Orion on the Delta 4 shroud as they are on the SLS. I'm using the delta 4 for test and ISS flights and the SLS for deep space operations

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
As far as I remember, during the EFT-1 test the Orion fairing panels were pure white. Some logos were shown on the second stage.
For the SLS the artists concepts show the NASA meatball on the Orion fairing, while the American flag is painted on the second stage. I can try this:
---
picture.php

Pls note, only the NASA meatball is on the Orion fairing.
The USA flag is on the upper stage of the launcher.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I mean at the Gateway Station. The small module with the solar array.
I don't think I've seen it at the 'Hangar. Is it custom? Or available?

francisdrake

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
The Gateway Station / Deep Space Habitat is playaround thing I made. Unfortunately I cannot publish it. Reason is, it is built from modules of the ISS 3.2. Re-publishing as another addon is not allowed. I tried to contact the author of the ISS 3.2 to get this permission, but could not reach him.
If someone could point me to a contact info for him I would be grateful.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I understand. I thought it sort of looked like Kibo, but wasn't sure, I've got ISS 3.2 (plus Donamy's awesome ISS A-Z). I'll dig into it a bit more and see what I can see.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Exploration_Gateway_Platform

I think the only thing that isn't already around is the utility module. It'd be neat to have a series of scenarios to build Gateway, then boost it to lunar orbit.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Exploration_Gateway_Platform

I think the only thing that isn't already around is the utility module. It'd be neat to have a series of scenarios to build Gateway, then boost it to lunar orbit.
Ok. What does it look like? I wonder if they all work in 2016 though?

barrygolden

Reaction score
your right the EFT 1 mission their were no logos on the shroud or SM covers. This is an up date to use the Delta 4 for ISS operations and resupply. The logos really look great on the SLS.

The gateway station is planned to be a single SLS launch. the inflatable donut shape hab is also being looked at for a Moon base so if built this might kill two birds with one stone.

The SLS and MPCV addons are really good but they both need missions to do such as Gateway, JWST, Hubble repair, ISS resupply, lunar exploration and a base, and the asteroid operations. Later a flight to Mars.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ok. What does it look like? I wonder if they all work in 2016 though?

800px-ExplorationGatewayPlatform_components.jpg

Most everything is SC3/4 or config based.

I figure a Proton flight for the Zvezda, few trips with the SLS and MPCV for rest. Then one flight to boost it to L1?

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The sc3/4 stuff should work I know there some config that don't.

I mean what does the Utility module look like?