That guy
Reaction score

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
It is to a lot of people. I personally do not like it, but at the same time, it is just a picture. It is a balanced decision in my opinion.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Am I missing something ? I don't see anything wrong with the picture...

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It's Columbia burning up during re-entry, it's kind of a picture of 7 people being killed.

Hmm..How do you know this is Columbia..? Looks like a regular picture of a reentry with extra added effects, the plasma on the nose/wings looks about right.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
This is offensive.

Not everyone feels offended. But let me say that everyone is free to express himself. If a serious TV documentary shows how STS-107 possibly reentered, you would most likely continue to watch too. Why would we allow a documentary showing the breakup, and disallow someone showing the same thing but using Orbiter?
So again, as long as we see no gruesome images that would directly offend the family/relatives of the crewmenbers, one is free to express himself.
Anyhow, even this last thing I mentioned should be allowed (in real world, maybe not on this forum), even if people might feel offended about it. In this forum there is also freedom, specifically when it's about Orbiter. We are talking about screenshots from Orbiter here, and there is no rule specifying what screenshot is allowed and what not. As long as it is no personal attack we should tolerate it, even if some people on the world might feel offended about it.

regards,
mcduck

FordPrefect

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
This is offensive.

Why is that? It would be if we would be shown a shuttle coming apart. However, I can't detect anything in that screenie that would suggest this. Just reentry effects, no?
Yes, it is the mesh of Columbia (see vertical tail tip), but I don't see any sign of destruction.

unussapiens

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
nickgrant.id.au
For all you know it could just be how the reentry was supposed to happen, along with some nice visual effects. I see no way in which it is offensive, it could even be considered to be memorial of the 7 astronauts.

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Why is that? It would be if we would be shown a shuttle coming apart. However, I can't detect anything in that screenie that would suggest this. Just reentry effects, no?
Yes, it is the mesh of Columbia (see vertical tail tip), but I don't see any sign of destruction.

I can't see anything anything offensive in that picture, BUT.....

I think it's a bit morbid to put effort into making a picture like this without doing a bit of research into the accident. The structurally interesting bits happened on the left side of the orbiter.

I don't think there's anything wrong with trying to recreate situations that did have a tragic outcome, but it can be done for the wrong reason.

It is important to remember the accidents as well as the successes in space exploration.

PS: If that picture is offensive, the American film industry has one big problem.

Scrooge McDuck

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbitermap.no-ip.org
Okay, let's resume posting screenshots then :)

Orbiter with Google Earth plugin testing:

orbiter_googleplugin02.jpg

*EDIT* I'm not sure why it looks all 'blocky'. The original certainly isn't like that at all.
It looks 'blocky' because the forum (roughly) resizes the image to a fixed width. When you click on any image in the forum, you'll see the orgininal like the direct link you provided.

regards,
mcduck

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Just to tell you about the photo, If you notice really carefuly, its over Alabama..
Far away from were the accident happend.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
STS-51-13.jpg

This one is better. Its Endeavour and Atlantis Launching at the same time. Just an Idea.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
He either edited, which is most likely, or he waited for the perfect angle for the sun on shine on the panels.