Finally on orbit!
orbiter_2014-02-23_22-26-07-03.jpg

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Recreation of a famous picture with new cloud textures and a few atmospheric rendering tweaks I'm currently playing with:

picture.php

thepenguin

Flying Penguin
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What is that?

Looks like a Blimp.....

That's no Blimp, it's a space station!

And no, that wasn't just for the star wars reference, it is actually a monster-sized space station. (Though I now notice the resemblance to a blimp)

50 metre radius at the center, 400 metres long.

EDIT: By the way, martins, awesome photo!

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Recreation of a famous picture with new cloud textures and a few atmospheric rendering tweaks I'm currently playing with...
I opened it full screen and I wondered why it didn't rotate while dragging it with the mouse...

:cheers:

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
You can only tell it's rendered when you notice 16 segments in the top-left quadrant. :lol:

Ah yes, good point. Maybe I'll have to revisit my HorizonManager class. Doesn't make much sense to be stingy on the number of horizon segments when the surfaces are now rendered to insane resolutions :thumbup:

Although there is _a lot_ of other stuff broken at the moment in more urgent need of repair after all the latest feature expansions, so this may be pushed back a bit ...

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Another little tweak, this time to the cloud rendering: I'm oversaturating the cloud diffuse intensity, to avoid them turning brown and feeble towards morning and evening, and make them overall look more substantial.

picture.php

picture.php

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Additionally to the clouds, I like the higher specularity and lower diffusion on that picture, too. :thumbup:

Koloss

Weyland-Yutani Corp.
Donator
Reaction score
The cake is a lie... or to say it in GLaDOS' words:

GLaDOS said:
Look at you soaring through the air majestically...like an eagle. Piloting a blimp.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Another little tweak, this time to the cloud rendering: I'm oversaturating the cloud diffuse intensity, to avoid them turning brown and feeble towards morning and evening, and make them overall look more substantial.

picture.php

picture.php

I usually tend to be rather blind towards subtle graphics things, but that is really nice to see. The Earth is finally a blue marble, not aquamarine!

:hailprobe:

Reaction score

Looks very nice. Does the tweaking with cloud rendering include a fix for cloud seams sometimes visible in LEO?

Thanks! W.E.

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
High Altitude Atmospheric Flight Test Incident

An autopilot software bug (i.e. my antivirus started and froze Orbiter for several seconds :lol:) causes a sudden and extreme g-excess on beginning a descent to Vandenberg AFB, badly damaging the port-side wing of an XR2 Ravenstar class vehicle. The port aileron is completely ripped away. RCS bursts are needed to augment the surviving control surfaces.

9723301_orig.png

A little differential thrust is needed on the final descent to the runway, alongside some tweaking with the ship's variable centre of mass system.
1121991_orig.png

After a surprisingly soft landing (4 m/s vertical speed), rollout is completed safely.

2182311_orig.png

The Shuttle Carrier 747 is called to retrieve the ravaged spaceplane and bring it back to Edwards AFB for complete repair.

6454532_orig.png

Arrival at Edwards AFB. While skilled engineers work on the physical damage, software engineers will be working flat out to kill the offending bug in the autopilot code. Later reports recommended the upgrading of the system's RAM chips, although a secondary cause was mentioned to be the YouTube videos playing in the background.

6200474_orig.png

Addons:

[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3887"]XR2 Ravenstar 1.0[/ame]
[ame="http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6007"]Orbiter stock bases upgrade[/ame]
Shuttle Fleet Aircraft

Last edited:

LunaM

Reaction score
Earth from Moon by Apollo
attachment.php

Attachments

• ApolloOrbiter.jpg
    ApolloOrbiter.jpg
    119.3 KB · Views: 309

spacman

Reaction score
MIR SPACE STATION

QUICK LOOK AT MIR

Attachments

• MIR THE BEGINNING.JPG
    MIR THE BEGINNING.JPG
    117.3 KB · Views: 59
  • THE MIDDLE.JPG
    THE MIDDLE.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 54
  • THE END.JPG
    THE END.JPG
    103.9 KB · Views: 59

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
WARNING: large images (about 4MB each)

According to their properties, they are 200-900 KB and only 1024x575px (but although their extensions are .jpg, they are PNG files). :shrug:

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
According to their properties, they are 200-900 KB and only 1024x575px (but although their extensions are .jpg, they are PNG files). :shrug:

:huh:
o13lnfogqo4f3646g.jpg

This case reminds me of when Windows Vista told me that the System32 folder weighed more than 0 bytes:facepalm:.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Does the tweaking with cloud rendering include a fix for cloud seams sometimes visible in LEO?
If you are talking about the seams between individual tiles, they will be reduced simply due to the fact that cloud textures now support higher resolution (they now use the same LOD quadtree mechanism as the surface textures), so any tile edge artefacts will be pushed to higher spatial frequencies.

However, there are also visible seams present in the source cloud map (from the Blue Marble/Visible Earth project). This is simply due to the fact that the cloud maps were acquired over several days, so individual areas are taken at different times, and don't always fit. The highest resolution maps also don't have polar coverage, which I needed to substitute from the lower-resolution versions.

I tried to manually edit the most obvious seams, but there probably also are some left.

Note that sometimes things that look like seams are simply the effect of underlying surface formations (mountain ranges, coast lines). Since in Orbiter the cloud animation consists of simply rotating the entire cloud layer, the clouds usually don't match with the topology below, so they can sometimes look odd (sharp cutoff edge in the middle of the ocean, etc.)