Orbiter being sold at amazon :-(

Havner

Reaction score
Just wanted to bring it up to you as someone might want to take a legal action against this. Orbiter is being sold at amazon with a claim that this is a GPL software:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Space-Shuttle-Flight-Simulator/dp/B004138ICY/

The seller/publisher is full of software that is not his (some GPL where it might be legal to resell them as long as GPL is followed, in this case it's obviously illegal).

This was brought to my attention by phoronix:
http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=OTAyNg

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This again. :facepalm:

I wish I could say "I can't believe people think they can get away with this," but they can and do. :(

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Hopefully no one has fallen for it yet. I think Martin would be the one to contact, but it is likely that he will see this thread. Truly despicable, what some people do.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would be Martins duty to complain about it, as far as I remember. Sadly, there are no means to also sue the bad guys for any money that they earned in violation of Orbiters license, simply because I doubt Amazon even cares who they are.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also Havner, your quote of the FAQ is correct, but you should also point to the new license, which is way more detailed in what "not charge money" means:

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/terms.php

You agree to comply with the following conditions:

* You will not sell or auction Orbiter or any parts of it, or charge others for use of it (either for profit or merely to recover your media and distribution costs), whether as a stand-alone product, as part of a compilation or anthology, or included in a separate software package, without explicit prior written permission by the licensor.
* You will not remove or alter any copyright or license notices contained in the software and documentation, or remove or alter any identifying elements, including splash screens and logos, or try to hide or reassign in any way the name or origin of the software or any of its components.
* You will not use Orbiter or any parts of it to advertise, promote, present or sell any software or other product without explicit prior written permission by the licensor.

This Butterfly Media has already violated all three. A cease and desist would be possible even against one of the typical post box companies in central London, but that has not the same effect as having an attorney becoming interested in the people behind the company. ;)

Last edited:

Havner

Reaction score
Also Havner, your quote of the FAQ is correct, but you should also point to the new license, which is way more detailed in what "not charge money" means:

http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/terms.php

I suppose you are referring to my post at phoronix? Yeah, I know there is more to it, but it doesn't really matter there. Those guys are mostly interested in GPL anyway :). I just spotted Orbiter while looking through the software this guy is selling. Truth is he should be interested about those terms.

If someone feel it's worth noting Martin about this please do, I haven't found his email on the main site and I'm rather not a member of this community. It's just that Orbiter is on my long TODO list of things I'd like to learn at some point in my life if/when time permits. Shame my first post had to be about such a thing.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Considering some of the other things some people do, is this really despicable? Petty, sure, but not really despicable.

Perhaps despicable wasn't the right word, but let's not start comparing now :thumbup:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Perhaps despicable wasn't the right word, but let's not start comparing now :thumbup:

Of course it is despicable! Essentially, this guy makes the money and we get the complaints.

Keatah

Reaction score
Tell you guys what.. I don't have an Amazon account.. But, someone should write a stellar perfect 100% wham-bang kick-butt review and post it right there. Mentioning it is freeware and available for download at Martin's website. Who cares if it is advertised for sale, as long as it isn't actually sold, then no harm done. And a waste of the seller's time.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Amazon.com's Participation Agreement states this:

B.1.1.1 you represent a warrant to prospective buyers that: (a) you are the true owner of the item or are properly authorised to sell the item by the true owner and are able to transfer good title to the item free from any third party claims, liens or encumbrances; and (b) the listing is accurate, current and complete and is not misleading or otherwise deceptive;

In the absence of a "Report this item" feature like ebay has, I have sent Amazon an email to their customer service address notifying them of this item and its illegitimacy. Seems like they could have made it easier, but, it's done.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Martin always gets them to pull these things down once reported. Thanks for sending them an email Xyon. :thumbup: I'm sure Martin will do the same if Amazon hasn't removed it by then.

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
In the meantime lets all log on to Amazon and post a zillion scathing comments in the reviews box. Link to legitimate Orbiter websites.

Any 'official' process is going to take some time but totally spamming the Amazon.com customer support should work wonders.

What are we waiting for? Fire everything we got!

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
In the meantime lets all log on to Amazon and post a zillion scathing comments in the reviews box. Link to legitimate Orbiter websites.

Any 'official' process is going to take some time but totally spamming the Amazon.com customer support should work wonders.

For one, this would be counterproductive. We are better than that as a community.

For another, Amazon won't let you comment on a product unless you've purchased it.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score

I don't really see the point of this. Amazon has been notified, so the only thing that this would do is put us in a bad light as 'spammers'. It doesn't seem like the product is getting much attention anyway, so the sudden flooding of comments and reviews on it would only help to further their cause by making it more known.

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Add one simple consumer review stating THIS IS A SCAM, highlight the illegal vendor's other ripoffs and direct the handful of people who run into it to the correct (and free) Orbiter download site.

This is not a question if it has a point or not. It's simply the case of an Orbiter Forum user taking initiative.

I don't respect inaction.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Add one simple consumer review stating THIS IS A SCAM, highlight the illegal vendor's other ripoffs and direct the handful of people who run into it to the correct (and free) Orbiter download site.

This is not a question if it has a point or not. It's simply the case of an Orbiter Forum user taking initiative.

I don't respect inaction.
Well, this argument at least still stands:
For another, Amazon won't let you comment on a product unless you've purchased it.

Someone already brought this to light (very decent of you, Havner :tiphat:), and now the proper people have been notified. Not sure what else there is to do... >.>

Carmen A

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
I'm going to assume the standard time for reply and action is going to take at least "a few business days". A decisive response to shut down the illegal vendor may take weeks, considering typical delays for a large organisation.

In the meantime, all it takes is for one of us who is an Amazon consumer (thus able to post reviews) to write a couple of lines in the reviews. How much time does that take? 10 seconds? Don't have to like what I say, just do it.

Yes it may be regarded as a small threat - so, give a small response, while the Amazon copyright brass or whatever does their job. In a "few business weeks". Any customer who is steered away from that "cheap Shuttle simulator" is a victory.