Orbiter being sold at amazon :-(

Havner

Reaction score
Looking at that picture, it seems that he's not just busting Orbiter's GPL either:

Orbiter is not GPL. If it were it _might_ be actually legal what this guy is doing.

BTW, what's wrong with this banner? This webpage looks like a host to an Orbiter add-on.

Last edited:

Havner

Reaction score
That banner says that World Of 2001 is for non-commercial purposes only.

Ah, you're referring to the fact the this addon screenshot is on amazon as well. Didn't get the context, sorry, initially though that this addon is infringing something.

Havner

Reaction score
Legal and just are rarely the same thing.

I'm perfectly aware of that. Selling GPL software is legal as long as you comply with GPL. It might not be fair depending on how you actually do that and if you support the creators. I deliberately used 'legal' in that sentence.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Havner

Reaction score
Seems this item has been pulled down from Amazon. It's still listed but it's unavailable.

Initially it was 9.99£, then 10.99£ (like if the first reseller pulled it down), now there is nothing. No items available and somehow I doubt it has been sold.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Now, aside from the clear violation of Orbiter's license, I wonder how well the GPL is being complied with as regards the GPL'ed programs they're selling. Namely, are they making the source available? When you open up the package and install the software, are they leaving the license documents intact, or are they trying to pass it off as their own by distributing the software under a non-GPL compatible license that assigns rights to them?

Tycho

Reaction score
I'm just disappointed that some low-life had to lower themselves to do something like this, it's a shame. It's good to hear that it has been spotted quickly, something like this is indeed an issue with free software.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Out of all the software they are selling on amazon, I am still to see a single legitimate program, it is all free software renamed, packaged and sold to some poor unsuspecting people.

There isn't a report seller button on Amazon is there?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Out of all the software they are selling on amazon, I am still to see a single legitimate program, it is all free software renamed, packaged and sold to some poor unsuspecting people.

Actually, I bought quite a few games at amazone (older ones that weren't in retail anymore). That's before there was Exsilia, Gog and all that fancy stuff, though, but sometimes you just want a box.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ahhhh... the formulation "they... at amazone" seemed to suggest that he hasn't found a single piece of legit software sold all over amazone. It makes a lot more sense now.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Thanks for bringing this issue to my attention. Here's a brief update:

• I have contacted the individual sellers, and they have removed their listings, pending a discussion with "their supplier".
  • I have contacted amazon to remove the product page itself, and they have refused because there is currently no active listing.