OMP hosting by Ren Dhark

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
Dear fellow Orbinauts

I started hosting Orbiter Multiplayer in July 2011 and in fact still plan to continue hosting this great 'long term' project!
Now I would like to step down as the OMP Mission Commander and do one last Mission: The '20th Anniversary OMP Mission' on April 5, 2014 (see Mission Command).
This Mission will be all about having fun, meeting pilots at Wideawake International, do some races, visit ISS or even have a big battle in the sky, all depending on how many pilots will join. As you know - Face's latest OMP client v0.7.4 includes guided missiles :)

If you like to join us on Mission 20, I do recommend a clean OMP installation in a separate folder with the following add-ons:

• ORBITER 2010-P1 v100830 - required
  • OrbiterSound v4.0 - recommended
  • Deltaglider-XR1 v1.11a - recommended
  • XR2 Ravenstar v1.6a - recommended
  • XR5 Vanguard v1.9a - recommended
  • UCGO v3.0 - recommended
  • OMP v0.7.4 - required
See OMP Add-on Test

Future missions:

If you like to define and command any coming up Orbiter Multiplayer Mission, please post your mission requests or idea in the OMP Mission Command. I will assist any new Mission Commanders if needed and update the Mission Command Schedule.
Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions.

I do think OMP could be combined with other project I seen on the forum! Feel free to test it, I can do some adjustments for your special needs. The race track is always set up anyway.

Maintenance:

Attention! OMP server (Website, TS3 and OMP) was down on Thursday 3. April 2014, 22:15 till Friday 4. April, 03.00 UTC for maintenance.

Last edited:

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
OMP without hostname!

OMP will be without a hostname for a while !

Dyn's free hostname program will be ending this Wednesday, May 7th.
Meaning the hostname omp.dyndns-server.com will not be available anymore, simply because I dont pay for services that I already have for free at a other location.
New public Orbiter Multiplayer server is set up! OMP, Website and Teamspeak will be transferred.
Regardless of the unlucky move Dyndns made, I've been planing this for over a year, they just made me move faster.
The new hostname will be published here as soon I finished setting up server hardware at new location.

In the meanwhile you still can use 'old' host and all services at current IP: 178.198.230.209
Note for OMP and Teamspeak clients: Replace omp.dyndns-server.com with above IP.

I plan to be back online with new hostname ~May 31th or earlier.

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
http://www.noip.com/ Why rejigg the hardware? just change DNS provider. Sure the URL will still change, but should be able to get running again much faster.

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
OMP server (Website, TS3 and OMP) was without a hostname again!

Our domain omp.servegame.com (redirected now) is still experiencing outages due to the Microsoft takedown.
Please read the No-IP formal statement on the matter :facepalm:dark matter..
---
Back online with new name: omp.ddns.net

Please change name in OMP Client and TS3 client.

I apologize for this outage. At this point I do not regret setting up my own domain.
Final and long term hostname will be announced here soon! Website needs a update also.

PS: Check the new OMP Challenge

Last edited:

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
Update to Microsoft Takedown – Domains Fully Restored

No-IP :tiphat: announce on July 3, 2014 that ALL of the 23 domains that were seized by Microsoft on June 30 are now back in their control. :thumbup:

Meaning omp.servegame.com is working again as a alias! I keep omp.ddns.net as the main address. No need to change anything at this point.

BTW: If your interested in challenges keep an eye on the new started discussion OMP Challenges & Scenarios and try out two brand new scenarios on OMP.

Last edited:

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
Still up and running...

Public OMP server omp.ddns.net still up and running 24/7 – for years now !

I made up a short Perl script, so Cacti will graph User Online now (started at January 23th). User and Object (Vessel) are collected in a 5 minutes interval by Cacti.
Code:
#!/usr/bin/perl
use strict;
use warnings;
use LWP::UserAgent;
use HTTP::Request::Common qw(GET);

my $ua = LWP::UserAgent->new;
my $host = 'http://localhost:1580';
my $users = 0;
my $objects = 0;
my $data;

# Request object
my $req = GET $host;

# Make the request
my $res = $ua->request($req);

# Check the response
if ($res->is_success) {
    $data = $res->content;
    } else {
    $data = $res->status_line . "\n";
}

# Looking for: "Users</a>:</td><td>0</td>"
if ($data  =~ /Users<\/a>:<\/td><td>(.d*)<\/td>/) { $users = $1 + 0; }
# Add 0 to return numbers only

# Looking for: "Objects</a>:</td><td>32</td>"
if ($data  =~ /Objects<\/a>:<\/td><td>(.*)<\/td>/) { $objects = $1 - 32; }
# Minus 32 static objects (sun, planets & moons), we need user objects only

print "users:$users objects:$objects";
# Print date for Cacti

exit 0;
Its my first Perl script and I'm still not sure if I did it right, is working now, but don't ask me how :lol:
OMP Server Stats

Last edited:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Public OMP server omp.ddns.net still up and running 24/7 – for years now !

I made up a short Perl script, so Cacti will graph User Online now (started at January 23th). User and Object (Vessel) are collected in a 5 minutes interval by Cacti.
http://omp.ddns.net/cacti/graph_view.php?action=tree&tree_id=2&leaf_id=23

Thanks again for your continued efforts to keep that going! :cheers:

We've talked about server interface before, so now that you have knowledge (and needs) in some interface client (Cacti), do you think that something like JSON or XML format would enhance the interaction with the server for you? Or is the plain HTML status response good enough?

RL was a bit busy lately, but I'm looking forward to some more time on my hands in the coming months, so maybe I can get to work more on OMP.

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
That's how I write most of my programs anyway :lol:
It was easier then I expected at first, similar to bash I use most time, but had a hard time with the Perl regular expression.

We've talked about server interface before, so now that you have knowledge (and needs) in some interface client (Cacti), do you think that something like JSON or XML format would enhance the interaction with the server for you? Or is the plain HTML status response good enough?

Plain HTML seems good enough, there is many known ways to extract data from HTML, so thats fine with me and data will be use mostly on websites anyway.

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
Downtime

OMP server was down on Thursday, 5. Feb. 2015, 12:05 - 15:40 (UTC)
Reason: Planed maintenance on power line.

Used downtime to update system and set new OMP MJD to 'now - 12 hours' for better daylight setting.

Last edited:

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
Maintenance

OMP server was down on Wednesday, 1. Apr. 2015, from 10:55 - 15:55 (UTC)
Reason: Maintenance.

Last edited:

Ren Dhark

Reaction score
OMP server was down

OMP server was down for 4 hours and 5 minutes on Wednesday, 27. May 2015, from 22:10 - till Thursday, 28. May 2015, 02:15 (UTC)
Reason: Maintenance on power line again.

Last edited: