OHM does not work

reicou

Reaction score
I can't access the Orbiter Hangar mods, I receive the following error:

Unable to access this website www.orbithangar.com has unexpectedly closed the connection.
Try to:

Verify the connection
Verify the proxy and firewall
Run Windows Network Diagnostics
ERR_CONNECTION_CLOSED
I have closed all add blockers, but I still cannot access from Chrome or Firefox

Edit: Its working good now, but I used a VPN extension. Not sure if my internet company or something like that is blocking the website...

Last edited:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I just tried it and it's working for me from here. Is it working for anyone else?

reicou

Reaction score
Yes, now it works for me too, but I had to use a VPN extension. I guess my internet company or something similar is blocking the web, although I don't understand why ...

llarian

Reaction score
reicou, the same thing happens to me occasionally, especially if I am using Chrome. A couple of things to try: 1. Go into Chrome settings and change your proxy settings. 2. Better yet, I just jump over and use Opera. I've never had a problem accessing OHM in Opera.

Pioneer

Reaction score
What happened to the comment sections on OHM? New uploads don't create them here on the forum.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Xyon and IronRain are madly trying to get the new OHM and Orbiter Forum up and running. I think it is at a stage where it is better to push forward rather than fix the issues.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Security is being done by Cloudlare. They disabled some older protocols, that could give you some errors. Are you up-to-date with your OS and browser?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also keep in mind that uploading files is not working currently AFAIK. This means neither updates nor new entries will have files to download. At this stage it is better to not edit old entries, as they may lose the old download link as well. Instead, add a new link-only entry and point to a temporary download place.

Or better yet: just create a development thread and add a link there. OHM is more or less read-only at the moment.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Warning, thread hijack

Ok, well, this is as good as anywhere to give some kind of an idea as to why OHM is in the state it's in, and what is being done about it, because you're quite right - it's hopelessly broken right now, and fixing it hasn't been straightforward. So the story goes like this:

OHM in its current form is the end result of some organic PHP development and is, for the most part, unmaintained. The code is, to be polite, not in-keeping with current best practises and is difficult to maintain as it currently stands. It is, however, just barely functional as things currently stand.

Some time earlier in this year I performed some maintenance on Orbiter Forum itself, moving us up to the latest 3.8.x version of vBulletin and at the same time bringing the underlying linux server up to date with recent developments within Digital Ocean, our cloud hosting provider. This was necessary, partly because the server up until that point was limited to PHP 5.3, which had not been supported for a good while by that point.

This, however, has had a dramatic impact on the functionality of OHM. The site uses a lot of long-deprecated functions, which now result in spurious warnings being kicked out (things like the old-style mysql_connect functions in early versions of PHP). For this reason, and because I was worried about the potential for SQL injection attacks - and it should be noted that OHM operates its own database and also has access to read the forum's user table (this is how the authentication works), so protecting the security of the site is paramount. As a result, I put cloudflare in place in front of both sites, and left the orbithangar site in "I'm under attack" mode permanently while the replacement for OHM is being developed in earnest.

So this causes some issues with connectivity, I am aware, and has resulted in a lot of problems in terms of usage on OHM. This is not ideal, but I find the potential end result of leaving the site unprotected could be far worse for all concerned.

tumblr_pz7s5bsvXe1qj6sk2o2_500.gifv

Since 2017, I have been working on a replacement for the OHM site. It's taken a long time to develop, partly because of my own free time, and partly because it's been something I've wanted to do in the correct way, in a considered and designed fashion, to future-proof the way OHM works to some extent. As of the last few months, I've stepped up development in response to the issues that OHM has faced, and essentially split development into two primary divisions - a REST API, and a frontend which leverages that REST API. I've been primarily working on the API backend, while work on the frontend has mostly been done by IronRain in concert with the development on the API side, and we are approaching the point where we can publish the API and a version of the old frontend which leverages it - this is very close, though I can't say exactly when, so I'll just say "Tuesday", but a Tuesday very soon.

This has been a very long road, and I can only apologise for the state OHM is in at the moment, but hopefully the decisions I've taken make sense in the context I've given. The new site will leverage Digital Ocean's "Spaces" product, which is essentially their version of Amazon's S3 storage (it's even compatible with the same clients), and edge caching should make the experience using the site much more pleasurable - especially for users not in the continental United States where the primary server is located.

All that remains to say is that I am continuing to look at each report of issues with the current site and trying to solve problems where I can, and I really do appreciate you reporting the issues you're facing when you hit them, so I can try to keep things ticking over until the new systems are ready. Thank you so much for your continued patience with the site (and me!).

:cheers:

dr_snekkyl

Reaction score
Hi Xyon. You mentioned you are working on a replacement, how is that going? I noticed OHM has lost a bit of functionality since I last used it a few months back and wondered if that is a result of work being done on it behind the scenes.

As a long time visitor to OHM thanks for all the hard work, looking forward to the replacement! :cheers:

BEEP

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Xyon , I still can't have access to most of my addons. The only ones that are available to me are the very early ones. This situation prevents me from updating and posting new releases. Please take a look on this matter.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Beep