New Release OGLAClient release 091011

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Artlav with the power this client obviously needs I think its safe to say Min system requirements are atleast ATI HD 3x series and Nvidia 7x series no?

iceman2000mv

Reaction score
I have the same problems, and I'm on Windows XP 32 bit Home edition, with a 512MB ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP.

EDIT: I also get the same bug with mapped shadows as posted above, and also some exhaust flames appear in the wrong places for me.

The GPU is the same on Windows XP Sp3. I'm running it on window mode with 1280/800 resolution and no 4:3. Also tried it with 4:3 but it gives the same result.
The main problem is the offset Selection Mode for the MFD's and the Target window. If you can fix them wold be really great.
And thank you so much for paying attention.
Best regards from Romania.

Disconnect

Reaction score
Artlav, what did you do in the 091011? :D The frame rate improved a lot!

BTW when i load DeltaGlider/Habana Spaceport scenario, the ogla crashes the display driver at loading, but if i load 2009 Edition/Demos/Solar Sail scenario, there is no problem.

And vsync have strange behavior, sometimes when i enable it, it holds 76fps (75hz refresh), but sometimes if i enable it (in same scenario) it holds 38fps.

And for me when i try to set a target or reference in fe orbit mfd, the selector menu is just big red box.

Another bug look at the first seconds whats happen
http://img444.imageshack.us/i/orbiter2009101321200381.mp4/

BTW when will be the space, truly dark? So when we can the ambient light? Cuz the dark side of planets aren't dark enough (exept in video from some angles)

Last edited:

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yeah, the one thing I like about multilight so much, is that it could allow you to finialy allow you to opperate in absolute dark conditions.

But OGLA has ambient light up relatively high.

SpaceNut

Reaction score
Checked it out, and all I can say is wow! Really neat project, nice to see you making some really neat headway. Great Job.

usagi

Reaction score
Awesome! checked it out, looks great. Except i can't run MFD's for some odd reason.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
For me with hd3850 the "high" shadow setting the best. It's strange, but the with high, i get more fps than with low, and medium... the mapped is just unplayable.
Low/med should work better with very high-complexity models, with simple models high could overtake them. Mapped rely on shaders, so it should be much faster on a proper hardware, like hd3850, and reasonably model complexity-independent.

What exactly "is just unplayable" means?

I also get the same bug with mapped shadows as posted above, and also some exhaust flames appear in the wrong places for me.
Mapped shadows bug is a known one, appear on some ATI cards.
Exhaust flames from hover engines on DG (any others?) bug is also known, and is quite mysterious. Both to be fixed.

Artlav with the power this client obviously needs I think its safe to say Min system requirements are atleast ATI HD 3x series and Nvidia 7x series no?
Well, it runs on a celeron laptop with intel graphics, with everything to minimum, so it's a debatable question.

The main problem is the offset Selection Mode for the MFD's and the Target window.
Offset in selection mode is likely lack of documentation, being asked about. Target window is an unknown, to be fixed.

That's not a bug, that's ash atmosphere :)
Well, abruptness is a bug of a sort.

That's not a bug, that's ash atmosphere :)
Well, abruptness is a bug of a sort.

Yeah, the one thing I like about multilight so much, is that it could allow you to finialy allow you to opperate in absolute dark conditions.
But OGLA has ambient light up relatively high.
Yes, it's on 1%. Also, don't mistake planet shine for ambient.
It really should read the value specified in the launch pad though, to be fixed.

can't run MFD's for some odd reason.
What does "can't run MFD's" look like?

Dambuster

Reaction score
Exhaust flames from hover engines on DG (any others?) bug is also known, and is quite mysterious. Both to be fixed.

I also noticed it when firing the OMS on the Space Shuttle.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Runs on a laptop with celeron graphics sounds like bottlenecks waiting to happen. DX7 in my opinion would be far more suitable for such a laptop. At min graphics does OVP not look worse than DX7?

ArchKaine

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post here, so I'll keep it sweet. Making the exhaust textures too big might make it harder to see the ship you're flying when you're zoomed in, so if there's another way to make the exhaust brighter, my personal opinion would be to use that method instead of enlarging the exhaust texture.

My two cents, keep the change :)

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Update 3:
Also included, OGLA SDK and DG code example with lights defined.
Defining lights is quite simple, for example oglcAddLight(vis,OGLA_LIGHT_SPOT,_V(0,-2,10),_V(0,-0.7071,0.7071),_V(1,1,0),45,10e6,400);
call registers a landing spotlight in the DG example.
You can then bind the light to thruster group using oglcBindLightThruster, or animation using oglcBindLightAnim. You can also toggle and tune the light manually.
Suggestions? Ideas?
How about a simple spot-light vessel that can be used to light things up at night like this NASA TV screen grab of Ares 1X rolling out of the VAB?

Attachments

• NASATV_03024.png
    NASATV_03024.png
    180.6 KB · Views: 28

Disconnect

Reaction score
Low/med should work better with very high-complexity models, with simple models high could overtake them. Mapped rely on shaders, so it should be much faster on a proper hardware, like hd3850, and reasonably model complexity-independent.

What exactly "is just unplayable" means?

Unplayable means <15fps. And the funny i have hd3850, and with that the mapped shadows are the slowest.

Ailantd

3d master
Reaction score
Website
www.ailantd.com
Hi all

Artlav, first let me say you are doing a really good job with ogla.

I would like to suggest you about implementing relief mapping as a hi level complement to bumpmaping. It would be really useful to depict a lot of elements in orbiter, as asteroids, planets montains at medim and hight flight, some kind of spacecrafts, clouds and so...

You could see a comparision of differents techniques in this video: bump mapping, parallax mapping and relief mapping:

maby in the future?

Regards.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Update:
The current known bugs list is presented below.
With Orbiter in RC0 (...oh really...), it seems to be high time to break the bug spray and start polishing.
So, if you know about any OGLA (not Orbiter core) bug that is not on the list, please tell about it.

Known bugs/problems/unfinished things:
-ATI VC BSOD bug
-ATI and mapped shadows bug
-Fix visibility of bases thru the planets
-Fix the stars!
-Fix target selection window (core?)
-Fix GDI panels halving (core?)
-Fix exhaust streams inversion
-Fix haze at night
-Fix haze if not Earth
-Add particle streams
-Clean up terrain&microtexturing
-Clean up the new haze
-Fix texture load when needed mode
-Lightweight Lv9+ planet rendering (non-Orulex)
-Orulex terrain seams
-SDK: Render to surface
-SDK: Add glow and bump texture options to OglaSDK
-SDK: Add custom GLSL option to OglaSDK?
-Tune z-buffer
-Tune ambient?
-Make planetary shine angle-dependent (dawn, sunset)
-Smooth night side light/dark transition
-Documentation!

How about a simple spot-light vessel that can be used to light things up at night like this NASA TV screen grab of Ares 1X rolling out of the VAB?
Totally doable with the OglaSDK in it's current state, no?

I would like to suggest you about implementing relief mapping as a hi level complement to bumpmaping.
maby in the future?
The future indeed. Combining shader-driven bump mapping, current OGLA terrain renderer, all the main Orbiter-esque features with acceptable FPS will be a work for many months. I guess there is enough coolness factors implemented for now, and it's already overdue for making it all work nicely.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Totally doable with the OglaSDK in it's current state, no?
True, but me and coding doesn't go so well together. The xenon spotlights they use at KSC are trailer-mounted units. A photo of the trailer units is attached to this post.

Attachments

• KSC_xenon_spotlight_trailers.jpg
    KSC_xenon_spotlight_trailers.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 27