The One and Only (AFAIK)
Today I was browsing the internet and found out that Anim8or was updated with a fairly big update: version 1.0!
And a personal note on the homepage:The latest version Anim8or, v1.0 dated May 29, 2017 is available here: animv100.zip. It is a major upgrade from the previous release v0.98.
This release represents a milestone in the life of Anim8or. The overall look has been updated to ease eyestrain that can result from long modeling sessions, and there are major new modeling and animation tools and workflow enhancements. Some of the highlights are:
- Inverse Kinematics allows rapid animation of rigged characters. You no longer need to position each joint at each key frame, but only need to position the end of a chain of bones and they all move as needed.
- The Topographical Knife is a 3d modeling tool that supports flexible, rapid editing of meshes. You can move points or edges, slit and join faces, add and "dissolve" edges and points, and much move with this versatile tool.
Give a big thanks to Raxx for helping me immensely in the implementation.
- Fast Select allows you to select and model on the fly without changing to the Select tool. This can be disabled for beginners who sometimes find it easier to separate these functions.
- Pressing the Alt key temporarily changes into Arc Rotate mode allowing you to mode fluidly within an model or scene while editing. Similarly the mouse wheel zooms your view around the position of the cursor.
- A new look eases eye strain, and makes models standout from the background. You can also enable anti-aliasing in the working views on most graphics chips which can also help with eye strain. You can increase the width of edge so they don't disappear on higher resolution screens.
- You can assign objects to different layers that you can lock or hide as a group.
- The addition of folders for objects, figures, bones, etc. helps organize large projects into more manageble pieces.
- There are additional improvements and additons throughout Anim8or. These include normal maps, improved face extrusion for corner and right angle edges, scale and rotation that apply to the center of selected parts, and more.
Download can be found here.[SIZE=+2]W[/SIZE]elcome to the home page of Anim8or. Anim8or is a 3D modeling and character animation program that I have written over the past couple of years, not as a commercial endeavor, but because I love 3D graphics, animation, and programming. While it is far from a complete professional level application like 3D Studio MAX or Maya, I believe that it has enough capability to be of use to others.
Anim8or v1.0 is now available with many new features including updated user interface, new modeling tools, inverse kinematics to speed up animation, STL support for 3D printing, and more. Read more about it here v1.0 and download you own copy.
Anim8or has come a long way since the first release v0.1 on July 20, 1999. It's now close enough to what I had originally imagined to be called v1.0. I don't plan on stopping development here but will continue to improve and enhance Anim8or in the future.
The previous major release, Version v0.98, is still available here if you run into any problems with the new release.
R. Steven Glanville
May 19, 2017