OFMM Science Goals - Surface: Discussion

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So will the majority of the science equipment touch down unmanned?

Wouldn't be the worst, then you can use the manned landings for bring such useless stuff like food, oxygen and water down to the planet...

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
So will the majority of the science equipment touch down unmanned?

Wouldn't be the worst, then you can use the manned landings for bring such useless stuff like food, oxygen and water down to the planet...

That I don't know. I've not worked out the details but certainly the supplies that are landing on Mars ahead of the teams will be experiments, rations, oxygen, water, etc.

the first XR-2 landing I'd like to make as light as possible to ensure as much power is available as possible so probably just water + temp shelter rather than anything else.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like a good idea. Since we should prevent contamination of Mars, this would mean using waste for this is a bad idea. But maybe we can use a 250 kg tungsten cone as additional payload, this could possibly impact at 2500 m/s, giving it the power of 250 kg TNT, without the risk of spreading life from Earth.

With small engine you can add 1 or 2 km/s. I'm thinking something like this:

impactor.jpg

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
It should be an impactor - ie a FLAT surface. That looks more like an ICBM.

90877main_impactor-3-450-302.jpg

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
:hmm: If it's an airless body, yes. If it has an atmosphere, we would need some sort of aeroshell. I will admit that the conical nose will not last long on entry, as the early ICBM warheads proved. However, a spherical nose in place of the point, and with a forward CG, we could be talking about something useful. However, if it takes too long, drop it and use it on another mission. If all else fails, there's a C4 charge available. Gimme a bit to find it.

EDIT: it's [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5039"]here.[/ame]

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Fair enough, if it's on OH it can be used. We shouldn't hang around in development hell.

I'll leave someone else to figure out how the james cook carries it there.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
The C4 charge is UCGO, and has a 30 second fuse, so unpack and run like hell!

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
It should be fairly simple to attach the impactor to the hull through UCD assuming it's up on OHM in time and we decide to use it

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Either way, we still need to get any UCGO crates we use to Mars somehow. Is this something for the backroom, or for the FAQ?

Back on topic. OK, a flag of the UN would be good. shouldn't be hard to make, if there isn't one yet. Just a texture swap. I think an ISA logo would be best, though. :2cents:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I think an ISA logo would be best, though. :2cents:

Why? ISA isn't involved with OFMM and this project is totally seperate to any and all work I'm doing with ISA.

To simplify things we'll have two flags:

1. UN flag.

2. OFMM flag.

So, if someone can make those and put them on OH they will be the ones used.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
However, a spherical nose in place of the point, and with a forward CG, we could be talking about something useful.

Sorry, but it looks like you are stuck in the 1950s, when ablative heat shields for nuclear warheads had been the state of the art.

The tip of the warhead is still rounded, but from a mesh making point of view, it is a cone. You can make the aft end of a solid metal impactor hollow to move the CoG forward relative to the CoP. But it isn't needed if you spin stabilize the impactor before reentry, the time in the atmosphere is too short for tumbling.

Not much rounded on these:

LGM-30G_Minuteman_III_MIRV.jpg

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ah. I see what you mean. I always thought of the RV from the Titan II. :facepalm:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ah. I see what you mean. I always thought of the RV from the Titan II. :facepalm:

That is old technology. NASA uses it as reference shape because they want to have something left they can recover.

Modern ICBM warheads have extremely low drag, get much more heating as such a blunt shape, but at the same time, don't slow down much before reaching their target and experience such high heating for only a short period of time before impact - the structure of the reentry vessel acts as heat sink and is permitted to get very hot.

It doesn't matter since it is destroyed anyway during the explosion - or in our case, for the impact.

Such a warhead gets the same peak deceleration as your blunt warhead would get during ballistic reentry - but it gets it at very low altitude, sometimes the nuclear warhead explodes even before reaching theoretical peak deceleration.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
OK, then I retract my previous statement. BOMBS AWAY! :lol: If Loru can get it up, I think we can use it, subject to final authorization by Gary.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, then I retract my previous statement. BOMBS AWAY! :lol: If Loru can get it up, I think we can use it, subject to final authorization by Gary.

Loru is at it, I am pretty sure he can make something good of it, it is just a question, if he can get this done before Gary freezes the mission manifest.