garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
There is a \\\'plot hole\\\' between choosing the landing site and sending the Lander there, I suggest that an unmanned Mars scout lander be stuck in between those two missions.

there is? The two lander missions are specifically to gather more data whilst the human mission is en route.

---------- Post added at 10:31 ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 ----------

Well, i know spirit died kinda close to some scientific stuffs... its just a secondary objective, and probably wont happen. It would be nice to do though

Not a bad idea and it really depends on the landing site. If it close enough to an existing lander site then it can certainly be a mssion objective.

I thought we we're not using XR5s, XR2s and DGIVs.

As I said in my first post I 've included vessels just for an idea about what the missions will require. It's not final or definitive. If you feel that that XR series shouldn't be used then say so here and people can debate it. After that the missison plan cna be edited accordingly.

Chub777

Reaction score
As I said in my first post I 've included vessels just for an idea about what the missions will require. It's not final or definitive. If you feel that that XR series shouldn't be used then say so here and people can debate it. After that the missison plan cna be edited accordingly.

Well I'm fine with the XR2 and the DGIV but don't you think the XR5 is a tad bit overkill?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Well I'm fine with the XR2 and the DGIV but don't you think the XR5 is a tad bit overkill?

Not for me to say. I'm not flying the missions, you guys are so if you don't want to use the XR-5 you don't use it - thats why this is a discussion thread and not a set in concrete final missions list. :lol:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I really would like to leave a bace base on Mars, as well. If we're landing two XR2s, we should be able to make a nice sized UCGO base.

Also, even though we're not constructing a vessel, I don't think the XR5s are at all necessary. We could just as easily use something less overkill to refuel Cosmos. But since we're not going for hard realism, I guess I don't really don't mind it. And with the size of Cosmos, it might not be overkill. :p

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I really would like to leave a bace base on Mars, as well. If we're landing two XR2s, we should be able to make a nice sized UCGO base.

New rule. If the 'bace' term is used I'll guarentee you a mission glued to the front of a probe thats fired into the sun.

Also, even though we're not constructing a vessel, I don't think the XR5s are at all necessary. We could just as easily use something less overkill to refuel Cosmos. But since we're not going for hard realism, I guess I don't really don't mind it. And with the size of Cosmos, it might not be overkill. :p

Cosmos needs 491,500kg for a full tank. Find me something that can deliver that - or several somethings and we'll use it.

This might be an option [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=242"]Abora-C tanker[/ame]

300,000kg to LEO but a little difficult to handle.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here is my OFMM patch design, made in Inkscape. It is based off the ISA logo (because garyw is heading this project - however, you don't need to fly as ISA; you can use any skin you want). The green line is based off the OrbitMFD path.

ofmmlogo.png

[-deleted section-]

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Alright then, here is the new logo (black and white versions):
ofmmgarylogo02.png

And here are high resolution transparent PNG files for both black, and white. :)
I haven't made any sigs yet, but feel free to make your own. ;)

Back on the topic of the missions, I guess XR5s will do for refueling. If anyone else wants to leave a base or something on Mars, I guess they should chime in.

Last edited:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I made my patch because I love mission patches and I wanted to try designing one.
If you're flying a mission and want a patch, you can send me a PM about what you want (it's like Eli13). Remember that this is optional, and a mission doesn't need to wait for a patch for it to fly.

[-deleted section-]

Last edited:

Wood

Reaction score
I may have missed it, but I think having a Crew Return Vehicle docked to the mothership at all times would be a good idea. Something with a low mass that can be used to perform a direct re-entry back to Earth just in case. Orion, CTV, Dragon, Pollux, Antares, Soyuz etc.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I have a modified XR5 config if anyone's interested. I've found the stock version 'too powerful' and 'too long-legged' for the kind of flying I've been into, so I've 'emasculated' some of the performance values of that spacecraft accordingly for a more realistic operating characteristic.

I'm reluctant to post the code here because it's off-topic, but I'll do it in a heartbeat if asked.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I may have missed it, but I think having a Crew Return Vehicle docked to the mothership at all times would be a good idea. Something with a low mass that can be used to perform a direct re-entry back to Earth just in case. Orion, CTV, Dragon, Pollux, Antares, Soyuz etc.

You haven't because I didn't think of that. not a bad idea.

Dibs on the Sattelite transport!
BTW, what satellite is it?

I had you in mind for this anyway. :lol:

I have a modified XR5 config if anyone's interested. I've found the stock version 'too powerful' and 'too long-legged' for the kind of flying I've been into, so I've 'emasculated' some of the performance values of that spacecraft accordingly for a more realistic operating characteristic.

I'm reluctant to post the code here because it's off-topic, but I'll do it in a heartbeat if asked.

I'm fine with it but it seems that the consensus is against using the XR-5?

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm fine with using the XR5. For refuelling Cosmos it's justified, unless we can quickly develop a fuel payload for Quasar. For things like stack building I consider it too big and unrealistic, but there's not really any good options in this case.
Will Scav's config still allow us to deliver the required fuel payload?

Also, I can put together a communication satellite mesh quickly, if I know what the antennas need to look like.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
I really think we're best avoiding making meshes specifically for this project, from what I can remember OFMM #1 died due to the addons it required being stuck in development

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Fair enough. Although the bigger problem in the first OFMM was that it required many complicated addons. A communications satellite is fairly simple to make, especially if we're not going for realism.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
I'm fine with using the XR5. For refuelling Cosmos it's justified, unless we can quickly develop a fuel payload for Quasar. For things like stack building I consider it too big and unrealistic, but there's not really any good options in this case.

Don't forget that I proposed to send an XR-5 to the moon for testing Mars materials. In what I propose there is no brighton beach so you have to get to and from the moon with no or limited refuelnig.

Also, I can put together a communication satellite mesh quickly, if I know what the antennas need to look like.

Go for it. If it's up on Orbit hangar by the time MaverickSawyer goes to pick it up then it MAY be used otherwise I've already got a couple of options in mind.

I really think we're best avoiding making meshes specifically for this, from what I can remember making addons specific to the project is what killed OFMM #1

Exactly right. a 'quick' mesh became a year plus then people got bored and you didn't even have screenshots.

I'll say this for the very last time:

'IF IT IS UP ON ORBIT HANGAR IT MIGHT BE USED'. I.e. if you want to develop something then great. Go for it and upload it THEN mention it here. Don't offer to make a mesh. I won't say this again.

Scav

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I'm fine with it but it seems that the consensus is against using the XR-5?

Seems that way, but I think the reaction was based on a vessel that could get the job done in one mission, which I agree with.

I guess my thinking at the time is that if this code is actually useful, why not use it?

Anyway, I won't be put-out if this isn't used, of course. I just wanted to propose an option. :)

Code:
#--------------------------------------------------------------------------
# XR5 Vanguard Configuration File
#
# Version 1.7
#
# You should edit this file as desired, but you should also back up 
# the original version first in case you want to restore the default settings later.
#
# Any values altered will take effect immediately the next time a scenario is loaded.
#
# D. Beachy, 7.2.2011

[SYSTEM]

# Define the 2D panel resolution that the XR5 should use.
#
#  0 = Autodetect (default)
#  1 = Use 1280-pixel-wide panels
#  2 = Use 1600-pixel-wide panels
#  3 = Use 1920-pixel-wide panels
#
# The default value is 0 (autodetect).
2DPanelWidth=0

#=========================================================================

# Define the default name, age, pulse, mass, rank, and mesh of all crew members.  
# If a scenario does not contain UMmu data for passengers, the values below are used.
#
# NOTE: the values below are only used if scenario file does not contain UMmu data for passengers
# *or* if a new Vanguard is created via the scenario editor or another add-on.
#
# Note that [PASSENGER0] occupies the pilot seat.
#
# 'Mesh' sets the mesh used for EVA astronauts.  WARNING: the EVA meshes in the XR5
# directory created by Greg Burch are *high-polygon* meshes; if they cause a framerate 
# hit for you or you just prefer the standard UMmu EVA meshes, set each mesh to one in the UMmu directory.
# The 'Mesh' setting is a path relative to the top-level Orbiter directory; e.g., C:\Orbiter.  
#
# NOTE: do NOT include the ".msh" extension; it will be added automatically.
# 
# You are also free to use your own EVA mesh here; simply plug in the path your mesh file below
# for any or all of the passengers.  The mesh file may reside anywhere under the Orbiter root directory, 
# but each mesh file must end in ".msh".
#
# NOTE: high-res EVA meshes created by Greg Burch and used with permission; refer to the XR5 Flight Operations Manual for 

details.
#
# Also note that you can "mix and match" different types of astronaut meshes (both high- and medium-polygon, 
# for example).  Each astronaut can use any valid mesh.
#
# Pre-installed MMU meshes are:
#    UMmu\UMmu      (medium-polygon meshes installed with UMMu)
#    UMmu\UMmuMED
#    UMmu\UMmuP
#    UMmu\UMmuSCI
#    UMmu\UMmuSEC
#    UMmu\UMmuTech
#    UMmu\UMmuVIP
#    XR5Vanguard\EVAF1   : Female mesh #1  (high-polygon) (red stripe)
#    XR5Vanguard\EVAF2   : Female mesh #2  (high-polygon) (green stripe)
#    XR5Vanguard\EVAM1   : Male mesh #1    (high-polygon) (blue stripe)
#    XR5Vanguard\EVAM2   : Male mesh #2    (high-polygon) (yellow stripe)
#
# Note that the "Commander" and "Pilot" ranks are used to determine whether the Commander or Pilot 
# is on board if 'RequirePilotForShipControl=true'.
#    

[PASSENGER0]
Name=Michael Samuelle
Age=37
Pulse=65
Mass=78
Rank=Commander
Mesh=XR5Vanguard\EVAM1

# Rest of passengers cropped in the interest of saving file size.
#=========================================================================

[GENERAL]

# This is where some of the important modifications have been made.

# Number of crew members to add to the ship if there is no UMMu data in the scenario file, 
# or if there is no scenario file (for example, when spawning an XR5 via the scenario editor).
# Crew will be added starting at [PASSENGER0].
#
# The default is 18 ( [PASSENGER0] through [PASSENGER17] )
DefaultCrewComplement = 9

# Enable or disable main and hover engine lighting effects.
#
# NOTE: if this effect is enabled, please make sure that "Local light sources" in the Orbiter launchpad's 
# "Visual Effects" tab is enabled as well; otherwise the effect will still be disabled.
#
# 0 = disabled
# 1 = enabled
#
# The default is 1 (enabled).
EnableEngineLightingEffects = 1

# Enable or disable the altitude and vertical speed indicators on the surface mode HUD.
#
# 0 = disabled
# 1 = enabled
#
# The default is 1 (enabled).
ShowAltitudeAndVerticalSpeedOnHUD = 1

# Set distance-to-closest-surface-base indicator on the surface mode HUD altitude threshold.
#
# NOTE: by design, the distance shown is the *surface distance* only: it does not include
#       distance due to altitude.
#
# < 0 = disabled (e.g., -1)
#   0 = always enabled regardless of vessel altitude
# > 0 = altitude threshold below which distance to closest surface base will be shown
#
# The default is 200 (surface base distance shown only when ship is <= 200 km in altitude).
DistanceToBaseOnHUDAltitudeThreshold = 200

# If enabled, either the Commander or Pilot must be 
# on board in order to control the ship; otherwise, the ship's controls will 
# be disabled until either the Commander or Pilot reenter the ship.  The
# Commander and Pilot are determined by the crew member's rank as defined 
# in the PASSENGER sections.
#
# 0 = Any crew member on board can pilot the ship.
# 1 = Only the Commander or Pilot can pilot the ship.
#
# The default is 0, meaning that any crew member on board can pilot the ship.
RequirePilotForShipControl=0

# Main Fuel ISP ("Specific Impulse") setting.  This determines how much 
# main/hover/rcs fuel is burned each second for a given thrust level.
# Higher settings allow longer flights without refueling.  Remember to 
# update the 'LOXLoadout' value later in this file as well so the crew will
# have enough oxygen for the mission!
#
# NOTE: The 'Expert' setting (0) is tuned so that you will need to use your SCRAM engines
# efficiently during ascent to LEO ("Low Earth Orbit").
#
# NOTE: these settings below are calibrated for *minimal payload in the bay*, so if you 
# carry a heavy payload you may have to bump up your fuel setting to the next higher setting.
# The ISP setting for each level is shown in [brackets].
#   0 = Expert    (ISS Only w/expert use of SCRAM engines and expert deorbit/landing)  [13943]
#   1 = Realistic (ISS Only)                [20914]
#   2 = Default   (ISS and Moon)            [25962]
#   3 = Medium    (ISS and Moon w/reserve)  [32981]
#   4 = Medium+   (Moon w/large reserve)    [40000] 
#   5 = Big       (Mars)                    [52922]
#   6 = Huge      (Jupiter+)                [366251]
#   7 = Massive   (Jupiter+ w/full payload) [549377]
#
# The default value is 2 (ISS and Moon).
#
# NOTE: You can override this global setting for a given scenario by setting a value for it in your scenario file; 
#       Refer to the scenario file named "Configuration File Override Example 2.scn" for an example.
MainFuelISP=1

# Fuel burn rate on the mains is less conservative.  I've found the XR5 to be 'too powerful' for my intended
# operations.  This constitutes a more sensible rate.

# SCRAM Fuel ISP ("Specific Impulse") setting.  This determines how much 
# SCRAM fuel is burned each second for a given thrust level.  Higher settings
# allow longer flights without refueling.
#   0 = Realistic 
#   1 = 1.5x normal
#   2 = 3x normal
#   3 = 6x normal
#   4 = 10x normal
#
# The default value is 0 (Realistic).
#
# NOTE: You can override this global setting for a given scenario by setting a value for it in your scenario file; 
#       Refer to the scenario file named "Configuration File Override Example 2.scn" for an example.
SCRAMFuelISP=0

# LOX (Liquid Oxygen) loadout setting.  This determines the maximum duration of a mission without 
# replenishing the LOX tanks.  Times listed assume a full crew; reducing the 
# number of crew members will increase the maximum mission duration accordingly.
#
# Increasing this value will increase the LOX loaded into the ship.  The mass value
# displayed for each setting assumes a LOXConsumptionRate (the parameter following this one)
# of 4 (realistic: 100% of normal).  To reduce the LOX mass required for a long mission,
# leave LOXConsumptionRate set to its default value of -1 (AUTO), or set it it 0 (OFF) or 1 (very low).
#
# Valid options (duration assumes a full crew complement):
#   0 = 7 days          (  234 kg)
#   1 = 14 days         (  468 kg)
#   2 = one month       ( 1019 kg)
#   3 = three months    ( 3053 kg)
#   4 = six months      ( 6102 kg)
#   5 = one year        (12200 kg)
#   6 = two years       (24397 kg)
#   7 = three years     (36594 kg)
#   8 = four years      (48790 kg)
#   9 = five years      (60991 kg)
#
# The default value is 1 (14 days).
LOXLoadout=0

# I went with this because of the reduced maximum crew number.  With that in mind, having LOXLoadout=1 would render
# a maximum mission length of months.

# LOX (Liquid Oxygen) consumption setting.  This determines how much oxygen is consumed
# by the crew for a given length of time.  This setting determines the LOX mass required for a 
# given mission duration; i.e.,
#
#       LOX mass loaded = LOXLoadout x LOXConsumptionRate
#       
# WARNING: setting this value to other than 0 (AUTO) or 1 (very low) may result in a significant mass increase 
# when LOXLoadout is set for a long mission duration (e.g., one year or longer).
#
# For example, with a LOXLoadout of 5 (one year), the actual LOX loaded would be:
#       4 (realistic) = 12200 kg (100% of normal)
#       3 (medium)    =  9150 kg (75% of normal)
#       2 (low)       =  6100 kg (50% of normal)
#       1 (very low)  =  3050 kg (25% of normal)
#       0 (OFF)       =   100 kg (mass is fixed)
#      -1 (AUTO)      =  3053 kg (varies between 100% and 12.5% of normal depending on LOXLoadout.)
#
# Valid options are:
#  -1 = AUTO      (Recommended; varies between 100% and 12.5% of normal depending on LOXLoadout.)
#   0 = NONE      (oxygen consumption DISABLED)
#   1 = very low  (25% of normal)
#   2 = low       (50% of normal)
#   3 = medium    (75% of normal)
#   4 = realistic (100% of normal)
#
# The default value is -1 (AUTO).
#
LOXConsumptionRate=-1

# Modifies the default crew oxygen consumpation rate.
#
# For example, a value of 2.5 would mean that the crew would consume oxygen
# at 2.5 times the normal rate.  Note that the crew's normal O2 consumption rate assumes
# that the ship's CO2 scrubbers are 100% efficient so that no oxygen is wasted.  This setting, 
# however, allows you to simulate wasted oxygen that is not reclaimed from CO2 by the scrubbers.
#
# Valid values are between 0.0 and 10.0.  
# The default value is 1.0 (normal consumption rate).
#
LOXConsumptionMultiplier=1.15

# Multiplier modified to agree with the notion that lithium hydroxide scrubbers are not 100% efficient
# and some people are more full of hot air than others.

# Maximum main engine thrust, per engine (x2 for total):
#   0 = 5328 kN (easy)
#   1 = 4262 kN (realistic)
MainEngineThrust=1

# Custom modification of *actual* main engine thrust is done in the 'cheat section'; see below.

# Maximum hover engine thrust, per engine (x2 for total):
#   0 = 4031 kN (easy)
#   1 = 2930 kN (realistic)
HoverEngineThrust=1

# SCRAM Fuel Heating Value (FHV): this is the amount of heat energy generated 
# from burning one kg of propellant.  This affects SCRAM thrust for a given
# fuel flow level.
#   0 = 3.5e8 (easy)
#   1 = 2.0e7 (realistic)
SCRAMfhv=1

# SCRAM Max Fuel Flow Rate (DMF): this is the maximum amount of fuel that can
# be burned in kg/sec; this affects the maximum thrust that the SCRAM engines
# can produce.  Note that this value will be adjusted to compensate for the
# 'SCRAMFuelISP' setting, so the actual maximum flow rate may vary from the 
# numbers below.
#   0 = 3.0 kg/sec (easy)
#   1 = 2.0 kg/sec (realistic)
SCRAMdmf=1

# APU Fuel Burn Rate : this is the rate at which APU fuel is burned in kg/sec.
# The Auxiliary Power Unit (APU) provides hydraulic power to the ship.
#   0 = unlimited : (runs indefinitely)
#   1 = very low  :  20.1 kg/minute (44 lb/minute)  (3.7 hours runtime)
#   2 = low       :  40.3 kg/minute (89 lb/minute)  (110 minutes runtime)
#   3 = moderate  :  60.4 kg/minute (133 lb/minute) (74 minutes runtime)
#   4 = realistic :  90.6 kg/minute (200 lb/minute) (49 minutes runtime)
#   5 = expert    : 135.9 kg/minute (300 lb/minute) (33 minutes runtime)
#
# The default value is 2 (low: 110 minutes runtime).
#
APUFuelBurnRate=4

# This gives enough APU duration for LEO operations; circumlunar operations are still possible if APU is
# handled correctly.

# APU Idle Runtime Callouts : this is the "idle time" threshold in seconds 
# above which a voice callout will sound when the APU is running but without load.
#
# Valid range is 0 seconds (callouts disabled), or between 5 and 600 seconds.
#
# NOTE: if APUFuelBurnRate=0 (unlimited), this value is ignored since callouts 
# will be automatically disabled.
#
# The default value is 60 seconds.
APUIdleRuntimeCallouts=60

# Enable or disable auto-shutdown of the APU when the pilot switches vessel
# focus; this is a safety feature designed to prevent the pilot from
# accidentally leaving the APU on and running out of APU fuel while the
# focus is switched to another vessel.
#
# The default value is 1 (APU auto-shutdown ENABLED)
#
#   0 = APU auto-shutdown disabled
#   1 = APU auto-shutdown enabled (recommended)
APUAutoShutdown=1

# Enable autostart of the APU when the ship's autopilot or automated flight
# control systems need to shift the ship's center of gravity (this is necessary
# during reentry and on landing approach in an atmosphere).  If you are an
# experienced pilot and want to always manage the APU yourself, set this to
# option to 0 (disabled).
#
# The default value is 1 (APU auto-startup ENABLED)
#
#   0 = APU auto-startup for COG-shift disabled
#   1 = APU auto-startup for COG-shift enabled 
APUAutostartForCOGShift=1

# Enable or disable ship damage due to wing stress, hull heating, hard landings,
# crashes, excessive dynamic pressure, and SCRAM engine overheat.
#   0 = damage disabled
#   1 = damage enabled
WingStressDamageEnabled=1
HullHeatingDamageEnabled=1
HardLandingsDamageEnabled=1
CrashDamageEnabled=1
DoorStressDamageEnabled=1
ScramEngineOverheatDamageEnabled=1
EnableDamageWhileDocked=1

# Enable or disable reduction in thrust due to atmospheric pressure.
#   0 = easy (no reduction)
#   1 = realistic (reduction)
EnableATMThrustReduction=1

# Enable or disable flight control surface input from the pilot when
# Attitude Hold is engaged; this is designed to prevent pilots from
# "fighting" or "helping" the autopilot while flying in an atmosphere
# and accidentally causing the ship to lose attitude control.
#
#   0 = flight control surfaces disabled with Attitude Hold engaged (default)
#   1 = flight control surfaces enabled with Attitude Hold engaged
#           (recommended for experienced pilots only)
EnableManualFlightControlsForAttitudeHold=0

# Optionally invert the Attitude Hold pitch/AoA arrows (up/down) behavior.
# This affects both the on-screen arrow controls and 
# the NUMPAD-8 / NUMPAD-2 / ALT-NUMPAD-8 / ALT-NUMPAD-2 keys.
#
#   0 = normal (default) : down arrow = increase pitch / up arrow = decrease pitch
#   1 = inverted         : down arrow = decrease pitch / up arrow = increase pitch
InvertAttitudeHoldPitchArrows=0

# Optionally invert the Descent Hold rate arrows (up/down) behavior.
# This affects both the on-screen arrow controls and 
# the NUMPAD-8 / NUMPAD-2 / ALT-NUMPAD-8 / ALT-NUMPAD-2 / CTRL-NUMPAD-8 / CTRL-NUMPAD-2 keys.
#
#   0 = normal (default) : down arrow = increase rate / up arrow = decrease rate
#   1 = inverted         : down arrow = decrease rate / up arrow = increase rate
InvertDescentHoldRateArrows=0

# Sets the master voice callout volume, from 0 (mute) to 255 (maximum).
# 
# The default is 255 (maximum).
AudioCalloutVolume=255

# Set 'You are cleared to land' voice callout altitude in meters; to disable the callout,
# set it to 0.  Valid range is 0 (disabled) to 10000 meters.
#
# The default value is 1500.
ClearedToLandCallout=1500

# Set wav filename of liftoff and landing audio callouts.  These are the voice callouts that
# play when the ship's wheels leave the ground or touch down.  You can substitute your own
# wav file as well if you put your new custom wav file(s) in your C:\Orbiter\Sound\dg-xr1 directory.
# (Note: "Wheels Up" and "Wheels Down" are pilot terms that refer to the time that your main gear lift off the runway
# or touch down on the runway again.)
#
# If you don't like the default callouts you can change or disable them here.
#
# Available pre-installed wav files for LiftoffCallout:
#    Wheels Up.wav  (default)
#    Liftoff.wav
#    Positive Rate.wav
#
# Available pre-installed wav files for TouchdownCallout:
#    Wheels Down.wav  (default)
#    Touchdown.wav
#
# To disable a callout, set value to NONE; e.g.,
#       LiftoffCallout=NONE
LiftoffCallout=Wheels Up.wav
TouchdownCallout=Wheels Down.wav

# Enable or disable the audible sonic boom as the ship crosses Mach 1.
#   0 = sonic boom disabled
#   1 = sonic boom enabled
EnableSonicBoom=1

# Enable or disable specific categories for voice callouts
#
# 0 = callouts for named category disabled
# 1 = callouts for named category enabled (default)
EnableAudioStatusGreeting=1
EnableVelocityCallouts=1
EnableAltitudeCallouts=1
EnableDockingDistanceCallouts=1
EnableInformationCallouts=1
EnableRCSStatusCallouts=1
EnableAFStatusCallouts=1
EnableWarningCallouts=1

# Set MDA (Multi-Display Area), secondary HUD, tertiary HUD, payload, 
# artificial horizon and [all other panel areas] refresh intervals in seconds.
# The smaller the value, the more often the data is rendered.  However, setting 
# a value too low can impact the frame rate, particularly if the frame rate is high.
# Valid range is 0 - 2.0.  If 0, data is updated every frame. Note that you will 
# very likely not be able to perceive anything higher than 60 updates-per-second
# in any case (i.e., an interval below 0.0167).
#
# Default is 0.05 (20 updates-per-second) for all except PanelUpdateInterval and
# ArtificialHorizonUpdateInterval, which default to 0.0167 (60 updates-per-second).
MDAUpdateInterval=0.05
SecondaryHUDUpdateInterval=0.05
TertiaryHUDUpdateInterval=0.05
PayloadScreensUpdateInterval=0.05
ArtificialHorizonUpdateInterval=0.0167
PanelUpdateInterval=0.0167

# Define refueling / LOX (Liquid Oxygen) resupply settings.  
#
# 'AllowGroundResupply' applies to all planets and moons.
# 'AllowDockResupply' applies to all vessels to which you may dock.
# 'AllowEarthOnlyResupply' specifies which tanks (if any) may be resupplied ONLY while landed on Earth.
#
# Valid options are:
#   main = refuel MAIN tanks
#   scram = refuel SCRAM tanks
#   apu = refuel APU tanks
#   lox = replenish LOX tanks
#
# A value may be empty as well, preventing refueling at all; e.g.,
#
#    AllowGroundResupply = 
#
# ...would prevent ground refueling of any tank.
#
# By default, you may resupply main fuel, LOX, and APU fuel while landed or docked anywhere, but you may only 
# resupply SCRAM fuel while landed on Earth.
AllowGroundResupply = main,lox,apu
AllowDockResupply = main,lox,apu
AllowEarthOnlyResupply = scram

# Set internal systems heating rate; this is the rate at which the coolant temperature 
# in the liquid cooling system rises as it cools the ship's internal computer 
# and electronic systems.  The times listed indicate approximate maximum runtimes 
# before the radiator must be deployed to prevent overheating.
#   0 = easy      (~139 minutes)
#   1 = realistic (~63 minutes)
#   2 = OFF (coolant maintains nominal temperature without radiator being deployed)
#
CoolantHeatingRate=1

# Enable or disable Orbiter's default auto-refueling behavior when
# touching down on a landing pad.
#
# You should set this value to 1 (Orbiter auto-refueling enabled) only if you
# want Orbiter to automatically and instantly refuel you when you touch down on a landing pad.
#
# If you will only be using the XR5's built-in refueling features, leave
# this value set to its default of 0 (Orbiter auto-refueling disabled).
#
#   0 = Orbiter auto-refueling disabled (recommended)
#   1 = Orbiter auto-refueling enabled
OrbiterAutoRefuelingEnabled=0

# Enable or disable vertical scrolling of the lower instrument panel.  Most users
# should not enable this feature: you only need this if you are running Orbiter
# in a window with a vertical size of less than about 600 pixels: if your window is too 
# short vertically you will not be able to reach the turbopack controls on the lower panel,
# so if that is the case you should set this value to 1.  Note, however, that the Orbiter 
# core will then allow the lower panel to be scrolled until it is completely off-screen, 
# which will result in the Orbiter core rendering an external view "behind" the panel.
# 
# The default value is 0 (vertical scrolling disabled).
#
#   0 = lower 2D panel vertical scrolling disabled (recommended)
#   1 = lower 2D panel vertical scrolling enabled 
Lower2DPanelVerticalScrollingEnabled=0

###########################################################################
# TERTIARY (left-hand side) HUD COLORS section.
#
# The default settings are for a transparent green tertiary HUD.  
# If you prefer a solid background, try these settings:
#
# [Dark blue text on light gray background]
#    TertiaryHUDNormalColor=42, 58, 130        
#    TertiaryHUDBackgroundColor=217, 217, 217

# Tertiary HUD NORMAL FONT and BORDER color in RGB format: red,green,blue (0-255)
#
# Default is medium-green: 26,213,64
TertiaryHUDNormalColor=26,213,64

# Tertiary HUD WARNING FONT color in RGB format: red,green,blue (0-255)
#
# Default is bright red: 243,17,17
TertiaryHUDWarningColor=243,17,17

# Tertiary HUD BACKGROUND color in RGB format: red,green,blue (0-255)
#
# Default is transparent: 255,255,255.  Any other color will result in an opaque background of that color.
TertiaryHUDBackgroundColor=255,255,255

# Enable or disable CHEATCODE settings; globally enables or disables
# processing of any CHEATCODE values set.
#
#   0 = XR CHEATCODEs disabled
#   1 = XR CHEATCODEs enabled (default)
CheatcodesEnabled=1

#
# Defines the color and fields for all five SECONDARY HUD modes
#
# Each mode has fourteen cells: seven rows and two columns.  
# Column L=left, R=right.  Rows are numbered 1-7.
# Each mode has a color set in RGB (Red/Green/Blue) format; each is 0-255.  e.g., 243,17,17
#
# Example:
#    To define the left and right side fields for row #1:
#        row1L={field}, {units}   
#        row1R={field}, {units}
#
#    
# Fields IDs are case-sensitive.
# Valid fields and units are:
#
# FIELD     VALID UNITS     DESCRIPTION
# -----     -----------     ------------------------------------------
# Alt       met/imp         Altitude
# Vel       met/imp/M       Velocity
# StatP     met/imp         Atm Static Pressure
# DynP      met/imp         Atm Dynamic Pressure
# OAT       K/F/C           Outside Air Temperature
# Hdg       -               Heading
# v/s       met/imp         Vertical Speed
# AccX      G/met/imp       Acceleration along X axis
# AccY      G/met/imp       Acceleration along Y axis
# AccZ      G/met/imp       Acceleration along Z axis
# Mass      met/imp         Ship mass
# Ecc       -               Orbit Eccentricity
# Inc       -               Orbit Inclination relative to the equator
# PeT       -               Time to Periapsis
# ApT       -               Time to Apoapsis
# PeA       met/imp         Periapsis Altitude
# ApA       met/imp         Apoapsis Altitude
# PeR       met/imp         Periapsis Radius
# ApR       met/imp         Apoapsis Radius
# Pitch     -               Pitch
# Bank      -               Bank
# Slope     -               Glide Slope 
# Slip      -               Slip Angle
# AOA       -               Angle of Attack
# Long      -               Longitude
# Lat       -               Latitude
# LEng      met/imp         Left Engine/Retro Thrust
# REng      met/imp         Right Engine/Retro Thrust
# MEng      met/imp         Both Main Engines' Thrust
# FHov      met/imp         Forward Hover Engine Thrust
# AHov      met/imp         Aft Hover Engine Thrust
# BHov      met/imp         Both Hover Engines' Thrust
# LScrm     met/imp         Left SCRAM Engine Thrust
# RScrm     met/imp         Right SCRAM Engine Thrust
# BScrm     met/imp         Both SCRAM Engines' Thrust
# rcs_1     met/imp         Forward Lower RCS Thrust
# rcs_2     met/imp         Aft Upper RCS Thrust
# rcs_3     met/imp         Forward Upper RCS Thrust
# rcs_4     met/imp         Aft Lower RCS Thrust
# rcs_5     met/imp         Forward Starboard RCS Thrust
# rcs_6     met/imp         Aft Port RCS Thrust
# rcs_7     met/imp         Forward Port RCS Thrust
# rcs_8     met/imp         Aft Starboard RCS Thrust
# rcs_9     met/imp         Outboard Upper Port RCS Thrust
# rcs_10    met/imp         Outboard Lower Starboard RCS Thrust
# rcs_11    met/imp         Outboard Upper Starboard RCS Thrust
# rcs_12    met/imp         Outboard Lower Port RCS Thrust
# rcs_13    met/imp         Aft RCS Thrust (+Z axis)
# rcs_14    met/imp         Forward RCS Thrust (-Z axis)
# LDtmp     K/F/C           Left SCRAM Diffuser Temp
# LCtmp     K/F/C           Left SCRAM Combustion Chamber Temp
# LEtmp     K/F/C           Left SCRAM Exhaust Temp
# RDtmp     K/F/C           Right SCRAM Diffuser Temp
# RCtmp     K/F/C           Right SCRAM Combustion Chamber Temp
# REtmp     K/F/C           Right SCRAM Exhaust Temp
# Valid units are:
#    met      (metric)     : km/meters/kg, etc.
#    imp      (imperial)   : ft/miles/pounds, etc.
#    G        (gravities)  : related to acceleration
#    M        (Mach)       : related to speed
#    K        (Kelvin)     : temperature
#    F        (Fahrenheit) : temperature
#    C        (Celsiuis)   : temperature
#    -        "N/A"; used for fields where only one unit is valid, such as "degrees" for angles
#
# NOTE: the default background for each HUD is transparent.
# If you prefer a solid background, start with something like this and then experiment from there:
#
# [Dark blue text on light gray background]
#    TextColor=42, 58, 130        
#    BackgroundColor=217, 217, 217

[SECONDARYHUD-1]
# The default settings for this mode are useful for REENTRY
# RED text on TRANSPARENT background
TextColor=26,213,64
BackgroundColor=255,255,255

row1L=Alt met
row1R=Alt imp

row2L=AccY G
row2R=AccZ G

row3L=Vel imp
row3R=Vel M

row4L=Mass imp
row4R=Mass met

row5L=Hdg -
row5R=Slope -

row6L=AOA -
row6R=Pitch -

row7L=v/s met
row7R=v/s imp

[SECONDARYHUD-2]
# The default settings for this mode are useful for ASCENT TO ORBIT
# YELLOW text on TRANSPARENT background
TextColor=26,213,64

row1L=Alt met
row1R=Alt imp

row2L=DynP imp
row2R=StatP imp

row3L=PeA met
row3R=v/s met

row4L=ApA met
row4R=v/s imp

row5L=ApT -
row5R=Vel imp

row6L=MEng imp
row6R=BScrm imp

row7L=Mass imp
row7R=BHov imp

[SECONDARYHUD-3]
# The default settings for this mode are useful for ATMOSPHERIC FLIGHT/LANDING
# DARK BLUE text on LIGHT GRAY background
# To make this transparent like the other HUD modes, change BackgroundColor to 255,255,255 
# and then change the TextColor to something else.
TextColor=26,213,64

row1L=Alt imp
row1R=Alt met

row2L=StatP -
row2R=DynP -

row3L=Mass imp
row3R=Hdg -

row4L=v/s imp
row4R=v/s met

row5L=Vel imp
row5R=Vel M

row6L=AOA -
row6R=Slope -

row7L=Long -
row7R=Lat -

[SECONDARYHUD-4]
# The default settings for this mode are useful for DOCKING
# BLUE text on TRANSPARENT background
TextColor=26,213,64

row1L=rcs1 imp
row1R=rcs2 imp

row2L=rcs3 imp
row2R=rcs4 imp

row3L=rcs5 imp
row3R=rcs6 imp

row4L=rcs7 imp
row4R=rcs8 imp

row5L=rcs9 imp
row5R=rcs10 imp

row6L=rcs11 imp
row6R=rcs12 imp

row7L=rcs13 imp
row7R=rcs14 imp

[SECONDARYHUD-5]
# The default settings for this mode are useful for ON-ORBIT OPS
# GREEN text on TRANSPARENT background
TextColor=26,213,64

row1L=Alt met
row1R=Alt imp

row2L=Ecc -
row2R=Inc -

row3L=PeT -
row3R=ApT -

row4L=PeA met
row4R=PeA imp

row5L=ApA met
row5R=ApA imp

row6L=Vel imp
row6R=Vel met

row7L=Mass imp
row7R=Mass met

#
# Define CHEATCODE values that allow certain ship values to be set directly,
# override any default values or other values specified earlier in this file.
#
# WARNING: THESE VALUES ARE *NOT* RANGE-CHECKED IN ANY WAY!  
# This means that you can likely cause a CTD ("Crash To Desktop") by 
# setting them incorrectly.  (However, your Orbiter installation will
# not be affected -- at worst you will have to change the setting and 
# restart Orbiter.)
#
# Also note that you may need to disable one or more damage checks if 
# you significantly increase the ship's mass; otherwise you may collapse 
# the landing gear or overheat the hull too easily.
#
# To set a value and enable the cheatcode, simply *uncomment* it by 
# deleting the '#' character on the beginning of the line.
#

[CHEATCODES]

# Empty mass in kg
#EmptyMass=266400

# Fixed Cargo mass in kg
#
# WARNING: if this is enabled the actual mass of any payload in the bay
#          is ignored!
#
# 1/4 cargo:  108000
# 1/2 cargo:  216000
# Full cargo: 432000
#CargoMass=432000

# Maximum range that payload a module may be grappled in meters 
# while in orbit and while landed.
#PayloadGrappleRangeOrbit=22.0
#PayloadGrappleRangeLanded=400.0

# Maximum allowed delta-V payload a module may be grappled in meters/second.
#PayloadGrappleMaxDeltaV=0.5

# Main fuel tank capacity in kg
#MainTankCapacity=230880.0

# SCRAM fuel tank capacity in kg
#ScramTankCapacity=55500.0

# RCS fuel tank capacity in kg
#RCSTankCapacity=13220.0

# APU fuel tank capacity in kg
#APUTankCapacity=4440.0

# Main fuel ISP (specific impulse).  This determines how much 
# main/hover/rcs fuel is burned each second for a given thrust level.
#
# This value overrides the 'MainFuelISP' setting in the [GENERAL] section.
#MainFuelISP=40000.0

# Maximum main engine thrust in newtons, PER ENGINE (x2 for total)
#
# This value is meant to mimic Pratt & Whitney's CECE engines @ 45Klb of
# thrust per side.
MaxMainThrust=4003e3

# Maximum hover engine thrust in newtons, PER ENGINE (x2 for total)
# 
# Note: internally the three engines are controlled as two separate 
# engines: fore and aft.
#
# This value is meant to mimic P&W's CECE engines as well.
MaxHoverThrust=2002e3

# Maximum retro engine thrust in newtons, PER ENGINE (x2 for total)
#MaxRetroThrust=905.76e3

# Maximum RCS Jet thrust in newtons; this affects all 14 jets
#MaxRCSThrust=55.50e3

# SCRAM Fuel Heating Value (FHV).  The higher the FHV, the more thrust 
# is produced from one kg of propellant.  Alter this value if you want to
# adjust the maximum SCRAM engine thrust.
#
# Note: the FHV for Hydrogen is 1.42e8 J/kg (joules per kg).  
#ScramFHV=3.5e8

# Maximum wheelbrake force in newtons
#MaxWheelbrakeForce=2.22e6

# Wheel friction coefficient (and resistance) when rolling on the ground; 
# also affects braking performance.
#WheelSurfaceFrictionCoeff=0.025

# ATTITUDE HOLD: Maximum AOA/pitch and bank that can be held when the other 
# axis is set to a non-zero target; the default is 60 degrees.
# This must be evenly divisible by 5!
#
# WARNING: increasing this value could cause the autopilot to get confused
# under certain conditions.
#MaxAttitudeHoldNormal=60

# ATTITUDE HOLD: Absolute bank limit; this is the limit when the pitch/AOA 
# target is set to zero degrees.
# This must be evenly divisible by 5!
#
#MaxAttitudeHoldAbsoluteBank=75

# ATTITUDE HOLD: Absolute pitch/AOA ; used when the other axis
# is set to a zero target.
# This must be evenly divisible by 2.5!
#
#MaxAttitudeHoldAbsolutePitchOrAOA=87.5

# END OF FILE

Whoa. :ninja:'ed while I was running this post out:

With this config, I've used slots 16 through 20 as fuel for the XR5 itself up to 30KM altitude @ Mach +/-3.0. This has put me in an excellent position for a SCRAM ascent to orbit. That's assuming a near dry payload bay; with payload I've added in the next row up in the back and had no difficulties getting it into orbit OR doing trans-lunar course mods. Getting back, of course, has been a study in aerocapture back to LEO.

With that in mind, I think this config will do the trick.

Last edited:

Cras

Spring of Life!
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
In my opinion, the DGIV and the XR-5 are too magical. The XR-2, with some work on the config file, can be made to resemble more of a in reach orbiter. And in that set up, it is never used as SSTO, but launched on a vehicle into LEO. I however do tend to use the XR-2's Mains for TLI and planetary ejection, so that could be a debate.

I have always resisted the XR-5 myself. As incredibly useful as it can be with the huge-mongus lift capability, and its huge-mongus payload bay, it is just requires a bit too much suspsension of disbelief.

With that being said, the configuration of the XR-2 should be decided early on so we know what exactly can be asked of this vehicle. I tend to set it up that it requires payload tanks for default fuel loads. This means a main tank that is cut down in size, and no on board SCRAM fuel. All SCRAM fuel needs to be in a payload tank. This eliminates the ability to bring along UCGOs if wanting to use a SCRAM assisted launch. A direct to orbit launch vehicle obviously could be done with no bay tanks, but getting to the Moon requires some work.

For what its worth, in my VSA timeline, I have to launch the UCGOs and extra main fuel to the moon on a Jarvis, and then lithobrake them on the moon. Then land the XR-2 at the UCGO's landing site, then build the base. Not an easy thing to do, since all those fancy tools that rely on a preset base cannot be used. The UCGO vehicle is still a vehicle, and the only thing you can use is the Xpndr for distance, and Attitude MFD to get an idea of orientation to the vehicle.

If you go this route, I can post my velcro launchers for both a direct XR-2 launch to LEO or the velcro SCRAM assisted launch system.
Just some food for thought.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think there is a slew of comm sats included in one of the soyuz addons.

Correction, it's the Proton rev 2.2, in the commercial section.
Also there's these... [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3275"]Commercial Satellites: Part One: The BOEING 702[/ame]
with an additional 2 downloads by the same author (istochnikov).

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I was thinking of using the SkyLinkSat from Kulch. Run it up to orbit, and release it, and it takes care of itself. However, I have not tested it's autopilot in orbits other than Earth. Something to look into...