Not open for further replies.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Sorry for the delay guys, my sis graduates this Sat.... so we have all the extras that go with that going on this week. :eek:hthedrama:

So I guess we are at working at developing the required addons to make this project work.

I did basically finish the greenhouses a few days. After a few tweaks and more final textures I'll up a shot of them. Basically the same area as Urwumpe's original design. Though they are circular.

Thanks

would just be important that we can install lights there, since even bright day on Mars is a pretty dim thing.

Would lights from UCGO cargo work?

Are you coding the greenhouses to produce O2/food or are they a static mesh?

Because if you wanted me to code them to produce a Ucgo cargo like my GDI Miner/Ore mill I would be happy to help.

About the Greenhouse/hab module duo might I make a suggestion, can we make the greenhouse produce O2 modules and food modules every so often then the hab module will act exactly like the UCGO ie. consume O2 and food modules (which rate is based on number of UMMUs in hab at the time). The hab will also expel trash modules which we (do what with? Bring it to orbit and deorbit it?)

Anyway, these modules like the hab module, forklift, green house ext needed to get to space somehow so I decided to go like the UCGO style cargos. (as in they deploy into that vessel, but they aren't capable of
carried by DGIV or XR2 because the 'stowed' size is to large.)

So here's my work so far; (some funny images while working on module)

oops.JPG

multi.JPG

Now I am almost done (except for a repaint to get rid of that excess black stuff) The one problem I am having is the CreateAttachment is not working right.

Code:
        ATTACHMENTHANDLE ah3 = CreateAttachment (
            _V(0,1.3,0),//const VECTOR3 &pos,
            _V(0,1,0),//const VECTOR3 &dir,
            _V(0,1,0),//const VECTOR3 &rot,
            "GS",//const char *id,
            1);

I tested everything I knew on the id, still nothing..

picture shows the blinking attachment, wasn't blinking on the mesh. Though I tested it and the attachment still worked, it just doesn't blink. Why is that?
attach.JPG

Also, when I tried to attach it to the bay of a shuttle I get an error when deployed, also a black screen when I try viewing it, also;

inf.JPG

any ideas?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Would lights from UCGO cargo work?

No, I just mean light modules, that are stored in a UCGO box and used for outfitting the inside of the greenhouse, not the flood lights that are included in UCGO

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
No, I just mean light modules, that are stored in a UCGO box and used for outfitting the inside of the greenhouse, not the flood lights that are included in UCGO

Oh I see, sounds great

I am having is the CreateAttachment is not working right.

Code:
        ATTACHMENTHANDLE ah3 = CreateAttachment (
            _V(0,1.3,0),//const VECTOR3 &pos,
            _V(0,1,0),//const VECTOR3 &dir,
            _V(0,0,1),//const VECTOR3 &rot,
            "GS",//const char *id,
            1);
I tested everything I knew on the id, still nothing..

I figured out the problem... if I would read the API ref a little I would of seen that

the dir and rot vectors should both be normalised to length 1, and they should be orthogonal.
-------------------
Since I figured out the attachment problem, I think I can make a 'beta' of SVTU (Small Vehicle Transportation Unit)

Please download and run scenario to test.

With this current methods, using [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4584"]this Ares V [/ame]works great, except the payload creates the SVTU, meaning we cannot set the payload unless the scenario was edited. We could work around it that way I guess, otherwise we would need to make a custom .dll for AresV.

This mesh is the perfect size for a forklift size vessel. I think I will create a larger version of this so that it 'fits' the cargo part of the Ares V, and another that fits the Shuttles bay properly.

Attachments

• SVTU 100603.zip
    523.2 KB · Views: 9

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I have a small question.
Can the mission-specific UCGO boxes be weathered a bit with Martian red soil? They look too shiny and generic right now...
Pretty simple; just a layer of red rusty stuff over the reflective bit (in ear grating layman's terms :p)

Why not, just a texture change, but what if the box is used before even stepping foot on Mars? :tiphat:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I wasn't expecting the ISS to pop out of there. :rofl:

It works great, though. I have a feeling we'll have a big pile of fairings once we get to Mars...

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I wasn't expecting the ISS to pop out of there. :rofl:

It works great, though. I have a feeling we'll have a big pile of fairings once we get to Mars...

Good point. I think I can make it so the fairings will auto-delete after like 6 minutes or something.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay, that sounds great.

I've been experimenting with different weights for the NERVA2-based vessel, and I've noticed that we seem extremely limited mass-wise if we want to get to Mars in an acceptable timeframe. It looks like there will be some mission planning worthy of NASA itself down the road.

Of course, I could be wrong. It could be that IMFD can get there in like two weeks with a thousand-ton payload and I'm just doing something terribly wrong (I plan and execute everything manually.) :shrug:

Voyager

Reaction score
For OFMM, I am still really confused by how we are supposed to get there. Also perhaps, could I be launch manager? I have thought of how the future flight schedule could work. Also why not use the XR5 with the UCGO mod to hold the cargo.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
The Transits to Mars will be accomplished via a stack concept vessel which will be built in LEO. As far as the XR5 and UCGO, we will not be using the XR-5 because the mission will be primarily restricted to current or near future technology. We will be making use of certain UCGO modules, but most of those need some modification to make them suitable for our needs. We may make use of the Arrow at some point and (I believe) the DGIV's (for lack of a better reusable lander) but the XR-5 is at least a century off (if not more) technologically.

Voyager

Reaction score
Anyway... Perhaps we should make a social group for this?

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I assume we're sticking with the 060929 release of Orbiter? The new release may be, well, newer, but a CTD in the middle of a mission would be an enormous pain, and I'd like to avoid that if possible.
There would be benefits to using the new map and HUD, though.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
I personally think we should switch to Orbiter 2010, because of cleaner HUDs, not to mention graphics. It shouldnt take long to track down the addons needed for this mission and throw them into 2010.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would say, we do it in 2010. We have no add-ons yet, that require a painful update to 2010

Voyager

Reaction score
Perhaps we could use kulch's space refueling things so we do not run out of fuel that long. Also perhaps why don't we launch a small station into LMO to act as a transfer station. Also, can I be launch manager since no one has talked about it yet?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also, can I be launch manager since no one has talked about it yet?

You can currently apply for the job as lunch manager.

Seriously, I am a strong opponent of "title orgies", that means assigning well-sounding impressive titles to people who have no function at the time and maybe won't even do the intended function later. I have seen many VSAs die, while the few remaining people spend more time inventing new positions and titles for them, than for flying.

Aside of BJ,who already has a meaningful position as program manager, in which he does the best he can so far, if you would want to be Launch Manager, how are we going to entitle Izack or Pablo then? Demigods?

Until a few posts ago, you had been completely ignorant of the real work done in this project, and now you ask again to get any title in this project? We must be stupid.

If we are ever giving anybody here a title, I want the title to be worth it. Not just abused characters, but a responsible position in a project, that deserves respect from both the other participants in the project, and the poor idiot who got the job.

Voyager

Reaction score
Perhaps, how about we have seconday positions for each job and the people have to report to the people above them. For example, I would be the one of the lowest Launch Managers, while Izack and Pablo are above me.
But from my idea about using kulch's refueller's that could work to refuel the interplanetary vessel when fuel is running low and it needs to be refuelled.

fireballs619

Occam's Taser
Donator
Reaction score
Urwumpe is right. At *most*, we only need 4 or 5 titles in this. Project Manager, and the ones we worked out a while ago (I can't remember them exactly, something along the lines of ground crew manager and the like:)). If everyone gets a 'position', the people that are qualified and should get management become meaningless. People have to settle on being pilots or ground crew, and forget about what made up leadership position they have.

Voyager

Reaction score
Alright, I will be both pilot and ground crew. Best job I could manage is transferring vessels to orbit, and deorbiting them. Also placing where the cargos go. Also what will be after this OFMJ (Orbiter Forum Mission to Jupiter), if so I call command over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.