OFMM General Discussions Archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bloodworth

Orbinoob
Reaction score
Having watched the success if the OFSS with fascination, I propose that we take a giant leap. Who would be interested in doing an Orbiter Forum Mission To Mars in the same fashion as the OFSS?

Here is the general proposal:

1)Have all necessary modules (and crew) for the mars base on earth. A pilot rotation would then be selected to loft said modules either into orbit (to ISS or possible to the OFSS) or directly to the staging base at Brighton beach using DG class vessels (or shuttles if just to orbit, if to a station then further pilot rotations would then transport them to Brighton)

2) ground crews at Brighton Beach would then transfer cargo and crew to one of two waiting Arrow class transports (which would be slightly modified to allow landing on mars as transporting all the cargo and crew to the ground via dgiv's would take up more fuel than the arrow carries spare).

3) Pilots would then be selected to fly not only the arrows but also the docked dgiv's (separate pilots for each). The second arrow would be used to transport the second phase (rotating) of the base or for use as a rescue vehicle in the event of an emergency (think "mission to mars")

4) the mars landing crew (made of interested parties) would spend 1 year on mars (earth year or martian year?) before returning to earth when replaced by crew from the second ship.

As this is only a preliminary idea, the entire concept and every detail of it are open for discussion. A new era is upon us, let us begin...

Last edited by a moderator:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I would be interested it it. I'm currently building a moonbase in the Copernicus crater (using the HLV mod). So I'm using not-quite-unavailable-tech right now.
I've flown around in the Arrow, but honestly am not that good with all the functions yet. And I consider her to be pretty-far-in-the-future-tech. I'm also still a noob with TransX and IMFD (but I'm getting better).
I'd certainly be available for ferry flights from LEO to Luna.
I'd suggest if missions to LEO are to be on the manifest, then to use the ISS. The OFSS is comprised of a great many pieces/parts, whereas the ISS is one mesh and easier on the resourses.
Or bypass LEO entirely and run straight for the moon, or an Arrow in Lunar orbit.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
If you are going to do this then can I suggest getting all the details worked out before hand?
There is no point in issuing a mission pack then having a long wait for the next one as it will just discourage people so you really want to have everything ready to go up front.

I think it's a great idea and I hope it works out.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Sounds fun! Like Gary said though, work it all out before hand. Get all the missions prepped, tested, and ready to go to keep people interested and avoid lengthy flight delays, especially since it's so far. It'd be a shame to leave a crew stranded on Mars with no foreseeable support heading their way. :thumbup:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I would like to give this a shot as well. If it works out, can I get ground crew?

tex said:
It'd be a shame to leave a crew stranded on Mars with no foreseeable support heading their way. :thumbup:

yeah, don't leave me behind... unless you left me a computer with internet access and Orbiter installed. :rofl:

Columbia42

Reaction score
I'd love to help with an Orbiter Forum Mars Mission however I think it would be much cooler if we used semi-feasible technology such as the Ares V/Ares I rockets and the Mars DRM 5.0 plan that NASA is working on (Cymrych is currently working on an addon of that which will use my Ares V.)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Anyone mind if I start a social group?

Not if you don't mind me joining.

I can only agree, before you start things, have at least one part of the program planned. Not from beginning to end, but maybe plan the whole mars mission in episodes, and start each episode with a complete mission manifest, telling which launch will go where.

If I would be permitted to be visionary: It would be much more fun, if once the episodes start to be played, all players that take part are represented in the scenario as UMMU astronauts, and the current state emailed around, as PBEM. So, any player could have his chance of "landing" on mars.

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
I can only agree, before you start things, have at least one part of the program planned. Not from beginning to end, but maybe plan the whole mars mission in episodes, and start each episode with a complete mission manifest, telling which launch will go where.

True, you can't fly to Mars without planing anything.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
all players that take part are represented in the scenario as UMMU astronauts

woops, sorry Urwumpe, I accidentally ejected you after deorbit burn.. ;)

I'm going to keep my UMMU feet firmly on the planet I spawn at :lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
True, you can't fly to Mars without planing anything.

Exactly, and it is a bit late to start planning the next mission after the previous landed.

Also, it is not yet known, which hardware is going to fly, and how many "astronauts" have to be put into the crew rotation for being commander once. And how the missions should be played... from Earth to mars and back? just from Earth to Mars? Or maybe split the missions into mile stones and let a new player take over right in the middle of it? Mars Missions have long cruise phases which would be just wasted on time warp without anything funny happening.

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

woops, sorry Urwumpe, I accidentally ejected you after deorbit burn.. ;)

I'm going to keep my UMMU feet firmly on the planet I spawn at :lol:

Then, you'll going to be the poor guy who has to light the fuse of the rocket. :thumbup:

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Exactly, and it is a bit late to start planning the next mission after the previous landed.

Also, it is not yet known, which hardware is going to fly, and how many "astronauts" have to be put into the crew rotation for being commander once. And how the missions should be played... from Earth to mars and back? just from Earth to Mars? Or maybe split the missions into mile stones and let a new player take over right in the middle of it? Mars Missions have long cruise phases which would be just wasted on time warp without anything funny happening.

It might be a little late to suggest, but how about having several ships as transports here. Fitting the Arrow would be really nice and all, but with it able to lift so much cargo and UMMU, it would only take two trips before all UMMU and cargo are present at Mars. So how about this, use several DGs, each having a pilot crew ground crew, ext.. and each DG would take off a few ?days? apart from each other, so that more UMMU would be used and needed (more pilots and crew). A single pilot/crew could land on mars, drop the cargo, and turn back for more.

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
More like, drop the cargo, the other crew goes home, stay until the next crew arrives, then go home, wait for your launch, and so on.

Bj

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
Then, you'll going to be the poor guy who has to light the fuse of the rocket. :thumbup:

only if it is an extremely long one.. :thumbup:

If I'm a UMMU I better make a few clones if I'm the one flying.:lol:

:blink: we better put you in the simulator first and get some hours in... ever heard of this awesome simulator called Orbiter? :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.