Update [obsolet] OrbiterSound 4.0 - dev thread

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Dan,
some (very minor) things I noticed at the Config Window:
- "ATC" should be written Uppercase everywhere
- the dot after min/max is something one might or might not include. Choice is yours ;)

ATC min. random delay (sec)
ATC max. random delay (sec)
ATC delay X
No ATC when grounded

fort

Reaction score
Some elements of punctuation, some maj/min... but, from my point of view ( 39° 34'N; 87° 40'W ) nothing else. Changes are bolded.
Code:
////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// ORBITER 4.0 (3D) - SOUND CONFIGURATION FOR VESSEL CLASS
// -------------------------------------------------------
//
// IMPORTANT NOTE:
//
// -Line with '//' before are commented (inactive), uncomment and set value if you want to use them.
//
// -Sound configuration filename can be found in "Orbiter/OrbiterSound_Log.txt"[B][COLOR="Blue"]. Y[/COLOR][/B]ou'll
//  have a message "Info: No sound config found for class: XXXXXX". Create and name your file 
//  "XXXXXX.cfg". If you replace sounds[B][COLOR="Blue"],[/COLOR][/B] "XXXXXX" will be also the name of the folder that must
//  contain your wavs[B][COLOR="Blue"]. ie[/COLOR][/B]: "Orbiter/Sound/_CustomVesselsSounds/XXXXXX/".
//
// -This config file have higher priority over programmation and user settings. ie: [B][COLOR="Blue"]y[/COLOR][/B]ou can therefore 
//  overwrite one addon's C++ settings and sounds and also user's settings.
//
// -Make sure to read each section's header[B][COLOR="Blue"]; they[/COLOR][/B] explain all you have to know about parameters.
//
// -If you have any problem (eg: sound not playing) remember to take a look in OrbiterSound's log
//  located in the main Orbiter's director[B][COLOR="Blue"]y ([/COLOR][/B]OrbiterSound_Log.txt)
//
// -Good sound[B][COLOR="Blue"]s[/COLOR][/B] can enhance the visual by 200%, so take time and test, test and test again.
//
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

//DISPLAYDEBUGHELP	=true	// This write many info in the OrbiterSound_Log.txt to help you
				// deve[B][COLOR="Blue"]l[/COLOR][/B]oping your sound addon: [/COLOR][/B]c[/COLOR][/B]amera offset, parameters found etc.
				// A screen display "SOUND DEBUG ON" show to recall to disable this 
				// display before release.

/////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// General option for vessel
// -------------------------
// While som[B][COLOR="Blue"]e s[/COLOR][/B]ettings are very usefull some make sense only 
// into C++ SDK because for example disabling main thrust is 
// used by authors to play manually custom engines (which you cannot do). 
// In anyway here they are all, even the useless might prove their utility in the future.
// Note: -parameters have the same name than in C++ SDK
//	 -Those setting overwrite C++ SDK and user's setting.	

PLAYCOUNTDOWNWHENTAKEOFF	=false	// the countdown of apollo11 when you take off
//PLAYWHENATTITUDEMODECHANGE	=true	// play "rotation" "linear" sound when you change mode
//PLAYGPWS			=true	// the GPWS sound
//PLAYMAINTHRUST		=true	// main thrust sound
//PLAYHOVERTHRUST		=true	// the hover thrust sound
//PLAYRETROTHRUST		=true	// the retro thrust
//PLAYATTITUDETHRUST		=true	// the attitude thrust sound
//PLAYDOCKINGSOUND		=true	// the docking sound and radio
//PLAYRADARBIP			=true	// the radar bip when near another vessel
//PLAYWINDAIRSPEED		=true	// the wind airspeed when atmosphere
//PLAYDOCKLANDCLEARANCE		=true	// the landing clearance you can hear bellow 3000m or near a station
//PLAYLANDINGANDGROUNDSOUND	=true	// Rolling, landing, speedbrake, crash sound
//PLAYCABINAIRCONDITIONING	=true 	// play the air conditionning sound
//PLAYCABINRANDOMAMBIANCE	=true	// play the random pump and rumble sound
//PLAYWINDAMBIANCEWHENLANDED	=true	// play the wind sound when landed
//PLAYRADIOATC			=true	// play the atc radio sound
//DISPLAYTIMER			=false	// display the timer text at the bottom of the screen when you take-off

// Replace default sound[B][COLOR="Blue"]s[/COLOR][/B] of vessel
// -------------------------------
// Here you can replace many sounds of the vessel with your own.
//
// IMPORTANT: 	All your custom wav must be placed in "Sound/_CustomVesselsSounds/[VesselclassName] folder.
// 		Example: "Sound/_CustomVesselsSounds/DeltaGlider/" for Deltaglider.cfg. 
//		ELSE THEY WILL NOT LOAD. (create the folder if it doesn't exist)
//		
//		ALL sounds must be PCM (uncompressed) wav 16 bits, OrbiterSound is set to
//		play at 22050hz, so higher frequency is only a waste of place.
//
//		Some sounds frequency are controlled by OrbiterSound, this is the case for 
//		example of the main engine which is played at differents frequency in 
//		internal or external view. Before replacing a sound it's a good idea to 
//		look first the frequency of the default wav. (in "Sound/Vessel")
//
// Note: -parameters have the same name than in C++ SDK
//       -If you don't know what a sound is for[B][COLOR="Blue"]:[/COLOR][/B] launch Orbiter/SoundConfig.exe and click "test" buttons

REPLACE_MAIN_THRUST		= main.wav	// MUST BE STEREO FOR GOOD RESULT IN 3D (and 2d)
REPLACE_HOVER_THRUST		= hover.wav	// MUST BE STEREO FOR GOOD RESULT IN 3D (and 2d)
REPLACE_RETRO_THRUST		= retro.wav	// MUST BE STEREO FOR GOOD RESULT IN 3D (and 2d)
REPLACE_AIR_CONDITIONNING	= aircond.WAV	// MUST BE STEREO FOR GOOD RESULT IN 3D (and 2d)
//REPLACE_RCS_THRUST_ATTACK	=		// MUST BE STEREO FOR LOCALISED RCS IN 3D (see note below)
//REPLACE_RCS_THRUST_SUSTAIN	=		// MUST BE STEREO FOR LOCALISED RCS IN 3D (see note below)
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_1	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_2	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_3	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_4	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_5	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_6	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_7	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_8	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_COCKPIT_AMBIENCE_9	=		// played only mono in 3d.
//REPLACE_MODE_ATTITUDEOFF	=		// mono, radio play "Attitude off" when you change rcs mode
REPLACE_MODE_ROTATION		= rotation.wav // mono, radio play "rotation" when you change rcs mode
REPLACE_MODE_TRANSLATION	= translation.wav// Mono, radio play "translation" when you change rcs mode
//REPLACE_WIND_AIRSPEED		=		// MUST BE STEREO FOR GOOD RESULT IN 3D (and 2d)
//REPLACE_LAND_TOUCHDOWN	=		// Mono wheel ground contact (skreech)
//REPLACE_GROUND_ROLL		=		// MUST BE STEREO FOR GOOD RESULT IN 3D (and 2d)
//REPLACE_WHEELBRAKE		=		// MUST BE STEREO FOR GOOD RESULT IN 3D (and 2d)
//REPLACE_CRASH_SOUND		=		// MUST BE STEREO FOR GOOD RESULT IN 3D (and 2d)
//REPLACE_DOCKING		=		// Mono or stereo the docking sound effect
//REPLACE_UNDOCKING		=		// Mono or stereo the undocking sound effect
//REPLACE_RADIOLANDCLEARANCE	=		// Mono the "your are cleared to land" announce (armed >10000 played <3000)
//REPLACE_RADIO_DOCKING		=		// Mono the docking radio announce
//REPLACE_RADIO_UNDOCKING	=		// Mono the undocking radio announce
//REPLACE_RADAR_APPROACH	=		// Mono, the 2001 Odyssey "bip"
//REPLACE_RADAR_CLOSE		=		// Mono, the 2001 Odyssey close "bip"

//REPLACEALLGPWSSOUND		= true		// Mono, if true you must provide all the 12 GPWS sound in your folder.
						// (ie: -10.wav, to -2500.wav see "/vessel/" folder)

// NOTE ABOUT 3D LOCALISED RCS: (REPLACE_RCS_THRUST_ATTACK & REPLACE_RCS_THRUST_SUSTAIN)
// -----------------------------
// The 3D RCS use 8 sounds (4xstereo) but might fail in ship that have special RCS position, 
// if the result is not good you can force deactivating 3D RCS and revert to 2D RCS by 
// providing mono wav. (either attack, sustain or both, I recommend only attack)

// 3d sound position
// -------------------------------
// By default the 3d positions of the sounds are calculated[B][COLOR="Blue"];[/COLOR][/B] for example the main engine position 
// is an average of all main thrusters and the two sounds (stereo) are offseted left and right
// for a better result.
//
// But the calculation might be [B][COLOR="Blue"]in[/COLOR][/B]acurate[B][COLOR="Blue"];[/COLOR][/B] so you can fix here the position.
//
// Some other sounds position are calculated in "Pseudo random position"[B][COLOR="Blue"]. T[/COLOR][/B]his mean 
// vessel's class name is used to generate a logic random position wich is always the same. 
// [B][COLOR="Blue"]E[/COLOR][/B]xample: the position of the radio sound will always be the same for a vessel type[B][COLOR="Blue"]
// ([/COLOR][/B] the radio instrument don't move in reality but it might be different for another vessel type)
//
// The ambien[B][COLOR="Blue"]t s[/COLOR][/B]ound[B][COLOR="Blue"]s[/COLOR][/B] are also automatically spread in "pseudo random position" around defaut camera[B][COLOR="Blue"] 
// ([/COLOR][/B]pump and switch don't move also)
//
// Sound position are in X,Y,Z LOCAL VESSEL COORDINATE (internal cockpit sound must take in account
// the camera offset position[B][COLOR="Blue"];[/COLOR][/B] see debug parameter in top of this config file to get its value).
//

//3dMainThrustPos	={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// left/right channel (in case of stereo)
//3dHoverThrustPos	={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// left/right channel (stereo, in this case front/rear offset give better results)
//3dRetroThrustPos	={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// left/right channel (in case of stereo)
3dRcsFrontRearPos	={0,0,10}{0,0,-7}// Front rear RCS position, the sound must be stereo ! (see note below)
//3dRcsLeftRightPos	={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// Left right RCS position, the sound must be stereo ! (see note below)
//3dAircondPos		={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// left/right channel (in case of stereo)
//3dCockpitAmbience1Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dCockpitAmbience2Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dCockpitAmbience3Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dCockpitAmbience4Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dCockpitAmbience5Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dCockpitAmbience6Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dCockpitAmbience7Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dCockpitAmbience8Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dCockpitAmbience9Pos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dWindAirspeedPos	={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// left/right channel (in case of stereo)
//3dLandTouchDownPos	={0,0,0}	// mono
//3dGroundRollPos	={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// left/right channel (in case of stereo)
//3dWheelBrakePos	={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// left/right channel (in case of stereo)
//3dCrashSound		={0,0,0}{0,0,0}	// left/right channel (in case of stereo)
//3dRadioPos		={0,0,0}	// Set pos for all radio sound: Rcs mode,clearance, dock/undock,radar, ATC chatter.
//3dGPWSPos		={0,0,0}	// Set pos for all GPWS sound.

// NOTE ABOUT DOCK/UNDOCK:
// -----------------------
// Dock/undock sound effects are at the exact docks position calculated during 
// dock/undock (up to 9 dock). A manual setting would have been to complicated, 
// so sorry you cannot set the dock/undock position.

// NOTE ABOUT 3D RCS:
// ------------------
// The automatic guess of RCS's position might fail because the exhaust thruster position 
// is not available in SDK and the logic position is often not at the exhaust point.
// You can try to position them manually in this case.
//
// 4 independant sound for RCS correctly positionned was possible at the expense of volume 
// and dynamic[B][COLOR="Blue"] (w[/COLOR][/B]ithout volume reduction they overlap and give bad harmonics). If you don't
// like this effect for your ship ([B][COLOR="Blue"]or if[/COLOR][/B] RCS are not standard cross positionned) you can deactivate
// it by replacing stereo wav by mono. See [B][COLOR="Blue"]a[/COLOR][/B]bove[B][COLOR="Blue"]:[/COLOR][/B] "NOTE ABOUT 3D POSITIONED RCS".

Last edited:

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Am I missing the point here!!!!

Dan is under no obligation to write this software, much less to share it and any bug fixes that he undertakes are his choice. Surely it is for us, as users of his add-ons, we can be grateful or we can not be grateful but we never have the option to belittle what he has done. IF I had paid for his services, put his kids through school or pulled him from a burning building then I might have a call on his knowledge. As it is I have done none of these and I think nether has many others (who shall remain nameless).

While I understand he may wish some feedback to improve / modify some code, I do not see an absolute requirement to heed any of this. I will also put forward the case that some add on software can be so ubiquitous that a whole sub industry of add ons are spawned from or grow out of it. Modifications or improvements become very eagerly awaited. None of this still creates an absolute requirement to solve other peoples problems.

I would also accept that some of the authors would include an add on or 2 on their CV. Why not and good luck to you. Not everything you do has to be 100% selfless, be proud of your skill.

I, for one, have used and am grateful for his add ons. I have downloaded a number of add ons which require his add ons to work, for which I am again grateful. Some add ons do not do exactlly as I would like them to do but that in no way makes me ungrateful or even feel hard done by.

I have 2 choices, use them or don't use them. There are are a few variations on this like provideing feedback as I am unable to suggest modifications to the code, or offering encouragement. There is no 3rd option. There is no excuse for being rude. None . Not one. No way

P.S. Thanks Dan and all the others out there that give of their time, thanks

Gr_Chris_pilot

DGIV Captain
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Just let him finish all these amazing addons.... All his work is gonna make our orbiter experience even better for one more time! So please stop asking, criticizing etc. The only thing we have to do and he wants us to do is to help him if i am not wrong.... thats it :thumbup: Get ready for the download button :lol:

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
So please stop asking, criticizing etc.

Well I have no problems with requests , I always wonder myself what it's the ratio work time/benefit/usability/risk and my
reply is the result of those self questions. Sometime it's temporary (I do not have time, or reserve this for the future) sometime
it's definitive because I know I can do that/will not be used/will introduce risk/take too much time/ add very little or it's simply
not possible.

The "unfair" part is that sometime I simply don't like the idea which don't meet what I want to do with the addon, one have
to live with that ;) (But more often it's a dev time/benefit problem or/and overrated feature)

But many requests have been included years after years in all my addons.

I do not have problem also with criticizing as long as they are fair, made politely and are on topic. Something that look wrong should
be pointed because with so much work I loose sometime the whole picture or some details. The one we speak about was not a criticize
but a childish and unfair comment.

The only reward we have as freeware authors are feedbacks, so keep posting remarks, comments, requests, feedback, thanks,
also fair criticizing help me a lot to improve my skill or my addons.

While we are here, a note about ATC and IA: Those are typically huge project that add very little unless you spend
thousand hours of dev on them. At the end you have off topic or repetitive ATC voice, some rare random
vehicle flyby or vessel driving unrealisticly everywhere. That make this toy candy ridiculously out of price for the result.
The fact that Orbiter doesn't offer any easy and proof way to manipulate third party vessels doesn't help also.
I know the subjects I tried hard with the (RIP) Symphony project.

Some elements of punctuation, some maj/min... but, from my point of view ( 39° 34'N; 87° 40'W ) nothing else. Changes are bolded.

Wow, I can't believe I mad so "few" errors. (It's true a file help is not a Shakespeare poem)
Much thanks, I'll update also the first post with your correction so another one doesn't loose his time correcting the same errors.

---------- Post added 10-02-12 at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-01-12 at 11:48 PM ----------

BTW: It would be nice to have feedback from addons authors about the vessel sound config file, after all it's you that will use it. ;)
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=384776&postcount=42

The goal was to make it easy and simple to use while offering almost full customisation of a vessel's sound set.
I do not offer every parameters as volume/distance/sound cone because it would overcomplicate OrbiterSound
and config file for no real add. As it is yet it should be sufficient for 95% of case. I use it for my addons but as
I know how it work internally maybe I miss confusing things for you.

After release it will be to late.

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well I have no problems with requests , I always wonder myself what it's the ratio work time/benefit/usability/risk and my
reply is the result of those self questions. Sometime it's temporary (I do not have time, or reserve this for the future) sometime
it's definitive because I know I can do that/will not be used/will introduce risk/take too much time/ add very little or it's simply
not possible.

The "unfair" part is that sometime I simply don't like the idea which don't meet what I want to do with the addon, one have
to live with that ;) (But more often it's a dev time/benefit problem or/and overrated feature)

But many requests have been included years after years in all my addons.

I do not have problem also with criticizing as long as they are fair, made politely and are on topic. Something that look wrong should
be pointed because with so much work I loose sometime the whole picture or some details. The one we speak about was not a criticize
but a childish and unfair comment.

The only reward we have as freeware authors are feedbacks, so keep posting remarks, comments, requests, feedback, thanks,
also fair criticizing help me a lot to improve my skill or my addons.

While we are here, a note about ATC and IA: Those are typically huge project that add very little unless you spend
thousand hours of dev on them. At the end you have off topic or repetitive ATC voice, some rare random
vehicle flyby or vessel driving unrealisticly everywhere. That make this toy candy ridiculously out of price for the result.
The fact that Orbiter doesn't offer any easy and proof way to manipulate third party vessels doesn't help also.
I know the subjects I tried hard with the (RIP) Symphony project.

Wow, I can't believe I mad so "few" errors. (It's true a file help is not a Shakespeare poem)
Much thanks, I'll update also the first post with your correction so another one doesn't loose his time correcting the same errors.

---------- Post added 10-02-12 at 12:21 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-01-12 at 11:48 PM ----------

BTW: It would be nice to have feedback from addons authors about the vessel sound config file, after all it's you that will use it. ;)
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=384776&postcount=42

The goal was to make it easy and simple to use while offering almost full customisation of a vessel's sound set.
I do not offer every parameters as volume/distance/sound cone because it would overcomplicate OrbiterSound
and config file for no real add. As it is yet it should be sufficient for 95% of case. I use it for my addons but as
I know how it work internally maybe I miss confusing things for you.

After release it will be to late.

It generally sounds quite good, although Im not sure whether the RCS position sounds will work as planned, given Orbiters odd ways of dealing with coordinate axes. Does the config have override priority over the Dll or vice versa?

One other thing, could you include a virtual numpad-like plugin control for UMMU? For those of us running Orbiter on laptops, it would be really great to have something like this [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4473"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4473[/ame]
to use for EVA's (the plugin above doesnt get recognized by UMMU, so our astronaut doent go anywhere :lol:)

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
It generally sounds quite good, although Im not sure whether the RCS position sounds will work as planned, given Orbiters odd ways of dealing with coordinate axes.

Yep the automatic guess is an approximation that seem to work somewhat.
The deltaglider, ShuttleA and Atlantis requested anyway a "front/rear" position to make them precise because
the logical pos was out of exhaust real pos. (So one parameter in config)

In ShuttleA it fail with back/forward RCS because they are unlike many other vessel centered.
In atlantis the left/right fail because you have two set of them in front/rear/ instead of one at the middle.
I'm not sure it's worse anyway than 2d sound. From the VC you hear them coming from rear (as they somewhat should)

Does the config have override priority over the Dll or vice versa?

From the doc: (is it clear?)

Code:
[COLOR="Red"][B]Important to know:[/B][/COLOR] Configuration files have top priority over programming, 
This was done so a vessel's sound is not engraved in marble. 
The vessel's config also has top priority over SoundConfig options, 
allowing you to make per-vessel options. (You may like aircond or ATC 
in one and not in others)

One other thing, could you include a virtual numpad-like plugin control for UMMU?

Sorry, UMMu is complete yet and I must start to finish all things which is still a lot of work. The worse addon is the one that nobody can use because it's
not out ;)

BTW: this is the information you get in the log when you set the "Debug" flag in config.
Might be usefull.

Code:
Focus changed attempting to load vessel wave

----------------------------------------------
     SOUND DEBUG DISPLAY SET IN CONFIG: DeltaGlider
     Camera cockpit offset: {0.0,1.5,6.8}

PLAYCOUNTDOWNWHENTAKEOFF	'found, value: false'
     REPLACE_MAIN_THRUST	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\main.wav'
     REPLACE_HOVER_THRUST	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\hover.wav'
     REPLACE_RETRO_THRUST	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\retro.wav'
     REPLACE_AIR_CONDITIONNING	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\aircond.WAV'
     REPLACE_MODE_ROTATION	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\rotation.wav'
     REPLACE_MODE_TRANSLATION	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\translation.wav'
     3dRcsFrontRearPos	'found: Left:(x=0.00 y=0.00 z=10.00) Right:(x=0.00 y=0.00 z=-7.00)'

Total of 8 parameters found and set.
     END OF SOUND DEBUG DISPLAY

Info: Sound config found for class: DeltaGlider. 8 parameters set.
Focus changed load vessel wave - OK

SOUND DEBUG DISPLAY - DUMPING SOUND POSITION

Radio sounds             	calculated mono(-0.10,1.17,7.28) 
     Main Thrust              	calculated left(-2.50,0.00,-7.70) right(2.50,0.00,-7.70) 
     Hover Thrust (front/rear)	calculated left(0.00,0.00,3.33) right(0.00,0.00,-3.33) 
     Retro Thrust             	calculated left(-2.50,-0.24,5.60) right(2.50,-0.24,5.60) 
     RCS attack (front/rear)  	by config left(0.00,0.00,10.00) right(0.00,0.00,-7.00) 
     RCS attack (left/right)  	calculated left(-6.00,0.00,0.00) right(6.00,0.00,0.00) 
     RCS sustain (front/rear) 	by config left(0.00,0.00,10.00) right(0.00,0.00,-7.00) 
     RCS sustain (left/right) 	calculated left(-6.00,0.00,0.00) right(6.00,0.00,0.00) 
     Aircond                  	calculated left(-2.00,1.97,8.78) right(2.00,1.97,8.78) 
     Wind airspeed            	calculated left(-3.33,1.47,5.00) right(3.33,1.47,5.00) 
     Land touchdown           	calculated mono(0.00,-1.53,0.00) 
     Ground roll              	calculated left(-2.00,-1.53,0.00) right(2.00,-1.53,0.00) 
     Wheelbrake               	calculated left(-2.00,-1.53,0.00) right(2.00,-1.53,0.00) 
     Crash                    	calculated left(-4.00,0.00,0.00) right(4.00,0.00,0.00) 
     Ambience1                	calculated mono(-2.00,1.97,8.78) 
     Ambience2                	calculated mono(1.20,0.97,4.78) 
     Ambience3                	calculated mono(1.90,1.97,4.78) 
     Ambience4                	calculated mono(0.90,1.97,4.78) 
     Ambience5                	calculated mono(-1.80,1.97,4.78) 
     Ambience6                	calculated mono(-1.70,1.97,8.78) 
     Ambience7                	calculated mono(1.20,1.97,4.78) 
     Ambience8                	calculated mono(0.90,1.97,8.78) 
     Ambience9                	calculated mono(-1.80,0.97,8.78) 
     GPWS radio               	calculated mono(-0.20,1.17,7.28) 

END OF SOUND DEBUG DISPLAY - DUMPING SOUND POSITION

SOUND DEBUG DISPLAY - 3D MONO/STEREO STATE

Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\main.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\hover.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\retro.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'sound\vessel\attfire40stereo.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'sound\vessel\attfire40stereo.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'sound\vessel\attsustain40stereo1.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'sound\vessel\attsustain40stereo2.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds\DeltaGlider\aircond.WAV'
     Stereo file converted to mono for 3D:	'sound\vessel\RcsattmodeOff.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'sound\vessel\airspeed.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'sound\vessel\roll.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'sound\vessel\docking.wav'
     Stereo split in two channels for 3D:	'sound\vessel\Undocking.wav'

END OF SOUND DEBUG DISPLAY - 3D MONO/STEREO STATE

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
DEV NEWS
----------

Would a programmer (or apprentice) be kind enough to review the new
vessel SDK example and SDK header ?
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/DeleteOrbiterSoundAlphaDoc/VESSELSOUND_SDK.zip

Is it clear ? simple ?

If maybe someone could help for correction ?
(Better a programmer so he doesn't mess the code)

Much thanks

Dan

If I can, I will take a look at it later tonight. I found the UMMU docs to be excellent, but UCGO was messy because it appeared to be done differently in the SDK example as opposed to the PDF.

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
DEV NEWS

Doc corrected by Mike and is almost final:
http://orbiter.dansteph.com/DeleteOrbiterSoundAlphaDoc/

Not only it validate W3C as previously but now it also show without errors in IE8.
alandon.gif

I miss the SDK correction (or/and check), I'll clean all the configurations
file (with my multiple test some may be outdated, the deltaglider.cfg is the
one that is 100% up to date, I must check that other comply)

Then beta release (public, I need a lot of check on various configs)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
DEV NEWS

Doc corrected by Mike and is almost final:

Not only it validate W3C as previously but now it also show without errors in IE8.
alandon.gif

I miss the SDK correction (or/and check), I'll clean all the configurations
file (with my multiple test some may be outdated, the deltaglider.cfg is the
one that is 100% up to date, I must check that other comply)

Then beta release (public, I need a lot of check on various configs)

Im taking a look at the SDK... now. My battery may die soon, so Ill probably be a few hours till I check in again

---------- Post added at 06:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:37 PM ----------

Okay first round of edits, to the text files in the SDK directory

HERE IS THE ORBITERSOUND 4.0 SDK
--------------------------------

THE SDK FILES THAT YOU MUST ADD TO YOUR
PROJECT ARE FROM THE SHUTTLEPB_PROJECT:
OrbiterSoundSDK40.h
OrbiterSoundSDK40.lib

This SDK allow you to add sound to a vessel project.
It's very simple to add; see shuttlepb sources example.

To see the example working launch the scenario:
"_OrbiterSound 4.0 demo/C++ SDK demo"

All the documentation for the SDK functions are in the OrbiterSoundSDK40.h file

Got the infamous LINK2001 error with your compiler?
---------------------------------------------------

Example :

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol __ftol2_sse
error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol _sprintf_s

The library was compiled with VC++2005 (8.0 version), you should have VC++ library up to date otherwise
you’ll have such errors. Fortunately there is a FREE version of Visual C++ Express that can compile your
addon with this new lib. Upgrading to VC++ 2005 or express is a good thing anyway.
If your version is up to date and you have link errors then it may be your compile settings, again see the
« MFDSound_Example » if it compiles fine then compare the settings from your project with the
example settings

Please click link below to install Visual C++ express to compile Orbiter addons if you don’t have it :
http://www.orbiterwiki.org/wiki/Free_Compiler_Setup

and here you’ll find another usefull link about how to setup everything with VC++ express http://www.codeproject.com/useritems/FreeVS2005Win32.asp

Have fun and make great addons

Dan
http://Orbiter.Dansteph.com

and

IMPORTANT NOTE:
---------------
It is HIGHLY recommended that you move your vessel's sound folder to "Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds".
(See the readme in "Sound\_CustomVesselsSounds" folder for the correct path and change your
C++ code to give this new path). This change is because the configuration file uses this folder and because it helps to
keep the root directory clean.

This will not impact users that still use OrbiterSound 3.5 except in that sound will still be in 2d even if you use the new 3d functions.

==========================================================
STEP 1 file copying and cleaning
Copy the "OrbiterSoundSDK40.h" and "OrbiterSoundSDK40.lib" from the folder "Sound/OrbiterSound_SDK/shuttlepb_project"
into your Orbiter project's folder, delete the old "OrbiterSoundSDK**.h"and "OrbiterSoundSDK**.lib" files, and change all your project to include

#include "OrbiterSoundSDK40.h"

Take care also that your project must link to the current Orbiter SDK (2010 SP1).

STEP 2 in you project
I have definitively removed the version number from all functions (eg: "PlayVesselWave3" has become "PlayVesselWave")
simply user "search/replace" to modify all your functions name. (the parameters don't change)

Done!

I you want to integrate the new 3d sound into your project, see the "OrbiterSoundSDK40.h" file for news functions and explainations.

I would appreciate a check on this by another programmer & Dan. Ive only tried to rephrase what I think Dan is trying to communicate, so some concepts may not translate properly

Time willing, I will dive into the actual SDK files tonight :tiphat:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Time willing, I will dive into the actual SDK files tonight

Great much thanks ! :cheers:

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

DEV NEWS

New advanced configuration file that allow you to change some internal factors: (in progress)

Sound/cfg/Editable_Advanced_Configuration.cfg
Code:
//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Advanced OrbiterSound configuration
// you should not mess with this unless you know what you 
// do. Try at your own risk and watch the OrbiterSound_log.txt.

PrimaryBufferFrequency	= 22050 // (default 22050) 	11025, 22050 or 44100 
PrimaryBufferBitRate	= 16 	// (default 16)		8, 16, 24 or 32
DooplerFactor		= 1  	// (default 1) 		3d only, 0.10 (very low doppler) to 8 (huge doppler)
VaccumAttenuationFactor = 1	// (default 1)		0.10 (very low attenuation) to 4 (huge attenuation)
SoundDistanceFactor	= 1	// (default 1)		3D only, 0.10 (closer) to 4 (further)

Setting appear in the new log:
Code:
OrbiterSound 4.0 build Oct 06 2012 00:38:04  Log Started

Advanced OrbiterSound settings:		(cfg/Editable_Advanced_Configuration.cfg)
Primary buffer		22050hz 16bits  (default 22050/16)
DooplerFactor		1.00		(default 1.00)
VaccumAttenuationFactor 1.00		(default 1.00)
SoundDistanceFactor	1.00		(default 1.00)

Passed initModule - Ok
Passed ExitModule - Ok

OrbiterSound 4.0 is now in private Alpha testing, first serious bugs solved it appear to run
well even on quadraphonic system. Symlink doesn't cause problem and it run also on
Orbiter beta DX11 & DX9

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Great much thanks ! :cheers:

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 PM ----------

DEV NEWS

New advanced configuration file that allow you to change some internal factors: (in progress)

Sound/cfg/Editable_Advanced_Configuration.cfg
Code:

PrimaryBufferFrequency	= 22050 // (default 22050) 	11025, 22050 or 44100 
PrimaryBufferBitRate	= 16 	// (default 16)		8, 16, 24 or 32
DooplerFactor		= 1  	// (default 1) 		3d only, 0.10 (very low doppler) to 8 (huge doppler)
VaccumAttenuationFactor = 1	// (default 1)		0.10 (very low attenuation) to 4 (huge attenuation)
SoundDistanceFactor	= 1	// (default 1)		3D only, 0.10 (closer) to 4 (further)

Setting appear in the new log:
Code:
OrbiterSound 4.0 build Oct 06 2012 00:38:04  Log Started

Advanced OrbiterSound settings:		(cfg/Editable_Advanced_Configuration.cfg)
Primary buffer		22050hz 16bits  (default 22050/16)
DooplerFactor		1.00		(default 1.00)
VaccumAttenuationFactor 1.00		(default 1.00)
SoundDistanceFactor	1.00		(default 1.00)

Passed initModule - Ok
Passed ExitModule - Ok

OrbiterSound 4.0 is now in private Alpha testing, first serious bugs solved it appear to run
well even on quadraphonic system. Symlink doesn't cause problem and it run also on
Orbiter beta DX11 & DX9

Thats Doppler Factor, I believe. ;)

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
working on the SDK right now. Should be able to post my revised version by the end of the night, hopefully. If not Ill have it up tommorow :cool:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
DEV NEWS

OrbiterSound 4.0 is coming up nicely, the private beta test is going well actually. (I just solved a major bug so I'm happy)

About advanced configuration (see above) here are the new value that you can set:

Code:

PrimaryBufferFrequency		= 22050 // (default 22050) 	11025, 22050 or 44100 
PrimaryBufferBitRate		= 16 	// (default 16)		8, 16, 24 or 32
DopplerFactor			= 1  	// (default 1) 		3d only, 0.10 (very low doppler) to 8 (huge doppler)
VaccumAttenuationFactor 	= 1	// (default 1)		0.10 (very low attenuation) to 4 (huge attenuation)
SoundDistanceFactor		= 1	// (default 1)		3D only, 0.10 (closer) to 4 (further)
MaxSoundProcessPerSecond	= 60    // (default 60)		from 60 to 1000 (recommended for 3D directSound= 60)
WriteInLogAllLoadedSound	= false // (default false)	If true write in OrbiterSound_log.txt all the waves loaded.
PlayWhenOrbiterInBackground	= true // (default false)	Put "true" if you want that sound continue to play even 
								if you switches focus to another application.

The doc is corrected and up to date at this time.

Last edited:

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Wow. 50 wind sounds per planet?! 150 sounds for the Arrow?! That's rather huge upgrade for version 4! That'll sound way more awesome! :thumbup:

Note that only one wind sound is played at a time, but it is choosen randomly in a list of up to 50 wav. (Is the doc confusing about this?)

The future 4.5 version of OrbiterSound may include 2 layer wind sound (high/low altitude) and ground zone sound but for this version I'll stop here.

Dan

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
Dan already speaks about upgrading the upgrade!!
That's better than Christmas!!

Edit: a little translation nitpick: I'd change "engraved in marble" with "written in the stone".
It sounds more "English" to me. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Last edited: