API Question Numerical constraints for VC Active areas?

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
So I have another bug for which I am trying to track down the cause. I think I may have found culprit but I need confirmation.

Is there a maximum value that can be processed by the "switch (id)" functions in clbkVCRedrawEvent and clbkVCMouseEvent?

As you know, Apollo Space craft had lots of buttons and switches, To keep track of them all and register them in the VC I've been using a simple 4 digit numerical code. The first switch on panel 2 is "0201" the second is "0202" and so on. This has worked well for me so far but now I'm on panel 12 (the LEM had a total of 14) and I'm getting odd errors where clicking on one switch activates another. I've investigated I suspect that my numbering system may have hit some sort of upper boundry that is causing allocation errors.

Note: I am aware the the index system works in base 8 and have already checked to make sure that my code contains no invalid values.

My suspiscion comes from the fact that rearranging the index order causes the probelem to effect different switches.

(Defining panel 12 before panel 1 causes panel 12 to function normally and panel 1 to act up and vice versa)

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
There shouldn't be a limit on the range of IDs for panel areas. Any non-negative integers should be ok (although of course there is always a possibility of a bug in the orbiter code). What kind of error do you get?

Maybe one of the other "big-panel" project developers (NASSP?) could comment?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

We had some strangeness related to the overhead panel O5 in SSU, but I am still not sure what caused it and if this phenomena still exists there. Namely, clicks on this panel went to a different panel area. I remember investigating if the click went to the other panel because it is on the opposing side of the cockpit and defined earlier.But still, I would need to check this again first, I sorted this problem at a lower priority then.

Tschachim

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
nassp.sf.net

Project Apollo - NASSP has no interactive VC, just a static one. The 2D panels have about 1000 areas, no problem or limit here.

Cheers
Tschachim

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
There shouldn't be a limit on the range of IDs for panel areas. Any non-negative integers should be ok (although of course there is always a possibility of a bug in the orbiter code). What kind of error do you get?

No real error, just odd situations where in clicking on switch # "1412" activates switch # "1407" instead.

We had some strangeness related to the overhead panel O5 in SSU, but I am still not sure what caused it and if this phenomena still exists there. Namely, clicks on this panel went to a different panel area. I remember investigating if the click went to the other panel because it is on the opposing side of the cockpit and defined earlier.But still, I would need to check this again first, I sorted this problem at a lower priority then.

This is pretty much where I'm at.