Humor [No-one's caring?] 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well it's strange that someone who haven't seen snow till the age of 16 would have to write this opening post for the Winter Olympics Games..... but oh well. The Opening Ceremony is coming up in less than an hour! :cheers:

Anyone here interested in watching skiing, figure skating, speed skating, ice hockey et al.? :tiphat: :hello:

(well I know that there are many issues related to this, but please put them down in the cavern...... ;))

dehat42

Reaction score
Some might be interested in the women's figure skating... :10sign:

Those who enjoy auto racing might want to watch the speed skating, bobsled, luge, or skeleton.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In the U.S., we have to wait until it's night (because the broadcasters think it wouldn't seem like a grand event if it were aired in the daytime).

I only watch the Olympics for the ceremonies. Don't really care that much about the sports. Looking forward to any space-themed segment of the opening ceremony.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I will soon turn on TV and enjoy it with a big cup of tea...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I like all the speed events; speed skating, bobsled, luge, skeleton (now I think that would be a rush!), also digging the biathlon, and the ski jump (normal hill and large hill-I think of all of them I would choose to do this if I could, I mean, check it out, they FLY!)

Almost forgot the downhill skiing (moguls look fun but I can't ski very well).

Curling? Seriously? I think I might if it were an alcohol-based event. But there would have to be some standard (everyone drinking the same brand/proof vodka or something).

Back to the ski jump. Anyone remember the opening ceremony from Lillehammer? The dude makes a run down the hill (with the torch) Freakin' Epic.

(Summer fav moment) The Barcelona flaming arrow cauldron lighting event. That was pretty awesome too. Honorable mention to the flaming Olympic rings from the Los Angeles Coliseum.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In the U.S., we have to wait until it's night (because the broadcasters think it wouldn't seem like a grand event if it were aired in the daytime).

I only watch the Olympics for the ceremonies. Don't really care that much about the sports. Looking forward to any space-themed segment of the opening ceremony.

'cough' DVR 'cough'

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Uhmm... just arrived here... (I think I prefer the Lock On/DCS version)

2014-2-7_16-57-15-136.jpg

Beautiful landscape down there, that's my reason to (maybe) watch it.
Besides that, I like everything that looks easy or involves flying :p. Bobsled for example. I mean it's just like driving on rails. How hard can that be? :lol:

But I just can't stand it when people moan that we didn't get enough medals at the end :rolleyes:

MattBaker

Reaction score
I like to watch it in the background while working, playing a few games, just reddit a bit.

And to be honest: No national anthem can give you the feeling of that one. No single one.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Uhmm... just arrived here... (I think I prefer the Lock On/DCS version)

Hmm... do I do some Biathlon with the A-10C today?

EDIT: Damn, no olympic park found... need a map.

Last edited:

dehat42

Reaction score
No DVR, because I have no cable.

I do, however, have a Roku.

That is mainly how I watch launches and dockings.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
They showed the space race with Gagarin early in the opening ceremony and Valentina Tereshkova was one of the Olympic flag-bearers.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They completely destroyed Daft Punk's The Game Has Changed. Dunno if error or intentional, but the mix between this and the various other classical pieces were a no-no for me.
The light show with all the figures and the different sports were great tho.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
And I miss another Olympic ceremony for the 3rd time in a row....*sigh.*

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
IMHO, if the results can't be measured, scored, or objectively quantified, then I don't think it is a true sport. If you are relying on the opinion of judges to select a "winner", then what you are doing is probably a performing art and not a sport. :10sign:

It's similar to how I feel about science vs. philosophy, actually.

Also, I'm a bit cynical about the sports in which materials/aerodynamic engineers have determined the outcome more or less months ahead of time. I like to call it aerodoping. (Actually, I find the whole skiing thing rather elitist anyway.)

Finally, I'm tired of no-names from obscure sports popping up every four years to sell me fast food at every commercial.

For these reasons, I just can't get into the Winter Olympics.
:rant:

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
You live in the U.S., it will air later tonight on NBC.
Dope. I thought they would've aired it despite this though. Then again, these networks want viewers and numbers...so I get it.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My favorite sport is curling

Melvin

Reaction score
Women's Curling does have some of the hottest participants in the games. :thumbup:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I just hope the Olympic park has enough condoms and the participants are having a pleasant evening :thumbup: