Humor [No-one's caring?] 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics Games

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It gets covered by snow sometimes ... landing might be a bit rough. :)

German ski jumpers also need to train during the summer... they just land on special mats. Still it is one kind of sport that I would not like to do. :lol: It isn't really flying, rather falling with grace. OK, just what the Space Shuttle does. Maybe not that bad as sport.

MattBaker

Reaction score
You could say Curling is turn based strategy and a lot of people like turn based strategy.:p

I mean, millions watched Carlsen-Anand at the Chess World Championships including me and that can be a pretty long strategy battle, too.

And about ski jumping: Seeing Morgenstern in the last few weeks or Freund yesterday taking a fall, no thanks. I prefer a sport were you can't break your own bones.:lol:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
And about ski jumping: Seeing Morgenstern in the last few weeks or Freund yesterday taking a fall, no thanks. I prefer a sport were you can't break your own bones.:lol:

Actually the risk of injuries is much smaller for Ski jump than for downhill skiing.

(For boogabooga, here is the source:

http://www.zeitschrift-sportmedizin...t.dzsm/content/archiv2001/heft01/a03_0101.pdf )

While you fall quite a distance, you are never further than a few meters away from the hill. It is sure some horrifying perspective.

And then, there is also ski flying, which is one level more extreme, going only centimeters short of 250 meters distance... but it is not olympic.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The first case of doping in Sochi is a German! :uhh:

Not much more solid is known yet, but here are some rumors from the doping team of the German television:

It was a stimulating substance and it seems to be in the ski team, either biathlon or cross-country skiing.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:08 AM ----------

The athlete in question is Evi Sachenbacher-Stehle according to sportschau.de

She already had a doping-related 5 day suspension during the 2006 Winter Olympics, because of an abnormally high red blood cell count.

MattBaker

Reaction score
The athlete in question is Evi Sachenbacher-Stehle according to sportschau.de

She already had a doping-related 5 day suspension during the 2006 Winter Olympics, because of an abnormally high red blood cell count.

Brace yourself! Pechstein-like legal battle is incoming!

Meanwhile Ole Einar Bjoerndalen is the most successful winter Olympian with eight gold medals, four silver and a bronze. Although to be fair three gold medals and a silver one are from team relays, in the individual competitions Daehlie is still the best.

josephfoster

Reaction score
Playing the field: Russian women leaving Russian men on the sidelines in Soch

SOCHI, Russia – There is a new sport sweeping these Winter Olympics, and the Russians aren't faring too well at it. Well, Russian men at least. Russian women are doing just fine.

In between watching <http://sports.yahoo.com/news/injury-gives-evgeni-plushenko-reality-show-the-most-perfect-ending-181747942.html>Evgeni Plushenko get injured and<http://sports.yahoo.com/news/t-j--oshie--the-new-american-hero-190037063.html> Russia get Oshie'd and ice dancers <http://sports.yahoo.com/video/twizzle-092411838.html>twizzle about, Russian women are partaking in an age-old custom: flirting. And according to local women, after looking at what the international scene has to offer, they're saying Russian men don't deserve gold, silver or bronze.

It was Anna who first told me this. An Olympic volunteer, she wore the kind of boredom that can only rest on the face of someone who spends eight hours a day scanning barcodes of journalists' accreditation passes and not getting paid a dime for it.

After a few minutes of idle chatter, I asked her what her favorite memory of the Olympics would be. "The people I met," she said thoughtfully, starting a narrative that began like it came from the "Politically Correct Things That Volunteers Should Say to Nosy Journalists" handbook. But then she flipped the script.

"Actually, the men I met," she added in near-perfect English. "I know what I want now. I want to marry a foreign man."

Companies like A Foreign Affair have know this for years, Kenneth Agee Marketing director for A Foreign Affair say, " Russian women once exposed to American or European men are hooked. The difference in culture make foreign men very appealing to Russian and Ukrainian women." A Foreign Affair operates singles tour to 15 different countries introducing men to foreign women. Their web site boats that an average social events have 20 to 30 men and 100 to 300 women.

America Men 1, Russian Men 0