Request new XR-ship? (with poll)

would you like to see an XR7 o OrbitHangar?

• YES, OF COURSE

Votes: 24 72.7%
  • NO

Votes: 3 9.1%
  • maybe

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • maybe, but another XR, not the one HAL9001 suggested

Votes: 4 12.1%

• Total voters

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Hello folks,

as anounced in the XR-class-fans-group I now make request for a new XR-ship, the XR7 wich should combine the fascinating size of the XR5 with the features and possibilitys (3D-cockpit, maybe working like the standard-DG's or the AR18's one, high speed, high maneuverability, ...).
I know that a XR-ship is a big project, so I did this poll, to see, how many other Orbinauts would also love to see the new XR in Orbiter.
:hailprobe:

Greetings:tiphat:, HAL9001

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would recommend naming it XR51 or XR55, since it is essentially in the same weight class, just a technological evolution.

Also I think we still lack a wingless XR vessel. One that would fit into an XR5 pay would be sweet.

Nazban

Reaction score
i would prefer a working VC for XR-2, or even the XR-7 you propose with a WORKING VC

Carmen A

redneck kitten with pillow :3
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
v149th.yolasite.com
Instead of seeing more ships I would like to see addons created to support said XR fleet because there is still a lot of untapped potential.

Why not replace the XR2's virtual cockpit texture to reskin or at least make the static panel more realistic?

Add RATO pods to the XR5 to send it to orbit easier when it's carrying 600 tons of cargo.

Would we want more "realistic" livery for these spacecraft to depict future suborbital travel?

All these are easy pieces of work and are highly achievable projects. More achievable than dreaming about us becoming dbeachy1 overnight and pulling out 20,000 lines of code from our sleeves, which ain't gonna happen. So I rather respect the authors of these vessels and give them a new life by doing my own (minor) refits to them, just like how life extension programs for real aircraft work.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
All these are easy pieces of work and are highly achievable projects. More achievable than dreaming about us becoming dbeachy1 overnight and pulling out 20,000 lines of code from our sleeves, which ain't gonna happen. So I rather respect the authors of these vessels and give them a new life by doing my own (minor) refits to them, just like how life extension programs for real aircraft work.

I think I know the problem first hand. But still, I never felt some sort of unthankful or annoyed by people having wishes or making suggestions for new projects. 90% of my inspiration comes actually from people throwing a small silly idea to me and let it grow into something that could exist after a few jokes and laughter more. I am pretty sure, most Orbiter add-ons started as a small silly idea. Maybe also Orbiter itself, only martins knows.

Good work is always rewarded with much more work, if people wouldn't want anything from you as add-on developer, you must have failed epically.

Still, your suggestions for improvements are of course valid and make sense, but some of them would be better supported by the XR-framework, instead of third-party hacks that might break on the next update.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
@ CarmenA:
This can be done by normal Add-On-Devs, I thought we maybe could request a new XR to dBeachy, who made all the XR's (as far as I know)

@Urwumpe: maybe a XR2-plus with foldable wings could fit into an XR5.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
@ CarmenA:
This can be done by normal Add-On-Devs, I thought we maybe could request a new XR to dBeachy, who made all the XR's (as far as I know)

DBeachy1 did the coding. Coolhand made the meshes. It was a joint project between the two of them.

Making an XR class vessel isn't a simple task. I know that it took several months with a lot of hours so don't be surprised if they no longer have the time for specific requests.

you might be better off trying to make your own XR spin off.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
@Urwumpe: maybe a XR2-plus with foldable wings could fit into an XR5.

No wings, just a pure, vacuum-only vehicle.

Also, the original design of the Black Dart, the "XR0" study, was actually your folding wing spaceplane that could fit into an XR5... it simply grew three times larger as the design and got a few other changes along the way, but the original drawing and concept is still not used by any add-on.

XR0-Urwumpe-prop-01.png

But that is not what I will do, the Black Dart has turned into the much funnier project, but the 20,000 lines of code sound barrier are already waaaay behind it. And it is almost as large as a XR2 now:

picture.php

Getting 20,000 lines of code is easy, you can get that on just a single weekend, if you manage to keep on riding the wave. The problem is knowing when to stop and find a way out of development hell. Perfection is a pretty bad goal for add-ons.

If anybody wants to make a "deltaglider/XR1 sawed into half", I would appreciate it, and have no problems if anybody wants to use this crappy 25 minute pencil drawing as starting point.

I still need to include support in my XR0 spawn, for making use of a 7,500 lines of code project here...

ARCM-Air-wip0.jpg

Last edited:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
DBeachy1 did the coding. Coolhand made the meshes. It was a joint project between the two of them.

Actually only the XR2 was Coolhand's mesh. The XR5 mesh was made by Russel Hicks, and the XR1 was adapted from the stock DG mesh by Don Gallagher.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I can make a 3D-model (not compatible with Orbiter, no mesh-file, but I could upload it as a SolidWorks-building group, the parts used in it and the bitmaps used for texturing so someone could convert it), some ideas, some datas and a meshless Spacecraft3-file. Yes tomorrow I could upload an "idea-pack" with models (not mesh-converted), pictures, data, ideas... Coding, special features, crashability, AP, Boardcomputer, Cargo-support, working 3d cockpit... can't be done by me.
No idea if someone will have the time for this, but since they once had the time to make a XR2 and a XR5 it's maybe possible.
(I can construct cool spaceships - coding is my problem).

greetings:tiphat:, HAL9001

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Anyone could, with sufficient coding and modelling skill, create a spaceplane for Orbiter of some complexity. However to make an XR vessel, you pretty much need to be dbeachy1 - he has the codebase, he owns the intellectual property which is the framework for the XR vessels themselves. It's no coincidence that the three vessels in the fleet function in a very uniform, similar way, despite their different flight characteristics - it's a result of good programming.

Making a vessel for Orbiter along the lines of the XR series would be possible, sure, but the XRs are commercial-grade addons, and replicating that kind of quality is hard.

But no, you can't make an actual XR vessel without dbeachy1 really, anything you could produce would be a close copy at best.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A very realistic one would be interesting, something like a Space Shuttle II, maybe a little lighter and smaller than the original.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
All you need to make addons for Orbiter is an original idea and a little skill. The rest you can really pick up along the way, I find. Collaborating with like-minded members of this forum can often bring about fantastic results.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
The XR5 mesh was made by Russel Hicks, and the XR1 was adapted from the stock DG mesh by Don Gallagher.

And never should their names be forgotten, kinda sad the amount of people who think its just Dougs work, or think that i built all three models.

Remember folks, both appeal and immersion are just as much down to the model & textures as the code, and don't let anyone tell you otherwise, because if that were true, XR2 would be no more popular than many other addons and we'd all be flying around with elite style wireframes or perhaps just studying pages of numbers.

As for future models, i have no idea about Dougs plans, it's probably been about 12 months since we talked about anything at all besides a little forum business.

As far as i know we're still going ahead with the XR2 mk2.

(Also presented as possible "XR's", a spaceplane which fits in the XR2's cargo bay. "XR0" And an advanced interplanetary spaceplane for extra comfort on those long haul flights.)

Does this mean that Doug has to work on these ideas, work with anyone elses models, or indeed ever code again for orbiter, no... And he's made as much of a contribution as anyone to the orbiter experience, You should all be really grateful for what he does for you.

He wont say this stuff himself, but i will;)

I know he often attempts to improve the code and fix reported problems, i doubt he's ever stopped working on them.

Just as i haven't stopped working on the XR2 since its launch with the mk2s extensive model and texture overhaul, its really a very different ship, and Doug is just as lucky to have worked with me on the XR2 as we all are for having his coding skills and support.

Heck, the orbiter community is just lucky full stop, from the day that orbiter was conceived, for whatever reason, it brings people together.

Anyway, With our combined skills, the mk2 XR2 will blow the XR2 mk1 straight into the sun with a blast of its mighty engines... And if we did not work together again, whoever models and paints the next xr will have a tough act to follow.

We're both busy people, i'm working hard all the time to keep food on the table and the lights on... At the end of the day, no matter how much time you think went into the XR2, quadruple it and you'll have some idea.;) Same with the Xr1 and XR5 i'm sure.

Which makes all the kind support we have all recieved over the years all the more special, and the nitpicking surely all the more irritating.

At the end of the day, just appreciate what you have already, for it's only there at the whim of the multiverse and nothing in this life is guaranteed, especially not freeware game addons.

Here's to Orbiter, it's addon makers, to everyone who enjoys this universe and its creations, and to Orbiters creator for without him, none of us would be here. And lets not forget the probe. :hailprobe::cheers:

Attachments

• XR0_23.jpg
    XR0_23.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 46
  • heavy_02b.jpg
    heavy_02b.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 44
  • mk2_phase2_13.jpg
    mk2_phase2_13.jpg
    293.1 KB · Views: 44

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
All you need to make addons for Orbiter is an original idea and a little skill. The rest you can really pick up along the way, I find. Collaborating with like-minded members of this forum can often bring about fantastic results.

I have ideas enough - but no skill at making Add-Ons.

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
that's really not what I planned - I only wanted to suggest a request.
but that doesn't mean it'd be bad - I also didn't plan to become an orbinaut when I first times heared about Orbiter