New Star Wars movies confirmed (NO SPOILERS!)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't remember how the Thrawn trilogy ends, but any attempt to make the actual Episodes 7 through 9 has to end with the war over, the Empire defeated, and a new golden age for the Republic, similar to the end of Lord of the Rings. Also, the Sith and the Jedi both should pass into history as legends, just like Merlin and Arthur, just like the elves leaving Middle Earth, etc.

Ark

Reaction score
I can't remember how the Thrawn trilogy ends, but any attempt to make the actual Episodes 7 through 9 has to end with the war over, the Empire defeated, and a new golden age for the Republic, similar to the end of Lord of the Rings.

How much of the EU have you read? There is no golden age, stuff just gets worse. :lol:

Hell, New Jedi Order unapologetically took a bulldozer to half the Star Wars galaxy, and half the cast list too. If they were real, the characters would probably wind up nostalgic for the easy old Empire days.

Hopefully Disney doesn't retcon and try to override twenty-five years of EU worldbuilding. They should celebrate all the great stuff that's in there and treat it as canon, not try to wipe it out like Lucas and the prequels.

Ignore the main cast and just give me three movies about Rouge Squadron. :lol:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Hell, ignore the first 6 movies, just stick with the EU, its more consistent than Lucas' scribbling.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They could always go the Star Trek route and have an Old Han Solo dive through a blackhole to the time of Episode III and create a totally new timeline where the Death Star is built by the Republic against the separatists with Sidious gaining control and turning the Republic into the Empire, but the Jedi see it coming so it's only by the daring rescue of aslfhiasgBLASLBLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *cough* ok, well, they probably won't do this, but it's still one possibility.

Ark

Reaction score
They could always go the Star Trek route and have an Old Han Solo dive through a blackhole to the time of Episode III and create a totally new timeline where the Death Star is built by the Republic against the separatists with Sidious gaining control and turning the Republic into the Empire, but the Jedi see it coming so it's only by the daring rescue of aslfhiasgBLASLBLA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *cough* ok, well, they probably won't do this, but it's still one possibility.

Now, I've never seriously contemplated suicide before, but if that happens...

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Hearing speculation that anyone from Joss Whedon to Percy Jackson might come direct.

Percy Jackson with Star Wars would be.. an incredible mix, but I doubt it with the Hobbit going on.

Hearing some saying Alfonso Cuarón or Guillermo del Toro.

Will probably be a well known Sci-Fi director. Anyone who takes this job must understand the huge, and I mean huge, burden they have to get Star Wars right. This franchise is the biggest in history, if they nail it - the profit will be insane high.

werdna

Astroarchitect
Reaction score
If Disney releases all three original films unedited from their original theatrical versions in a simple, 3 disk blu-ray box set in the highest quality possible... that's the only thing good that could happen.

If they finally do the originals justice, then it's worth it as far as I'm concerned. Even if the sequel trilogy is complete garbage (i.e., almost as bad as the prequels EDIT: the English language lacks the words needed to describe how terrible they were), at least the originals will be there. Who knows? Maybe 7, 8, and 9 will be decent movies, but it won't be the same (and we all know it).

What I really don't get is this: From a business perspective, it's a really good idea- I guarantee it will become sold out before you can blink. Maybe asking/petitioning Disney will work. They own Lucasfilm now, right? Does Lucas still own the original films?????????

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Anything that comes out will probably be better than Phantom Menace.

Look at it that way ;)

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Hopefully Disney doesn't retcon and try to override twenty-five years of EU worldbuilding. They should celebrate all the great stuff that's in there and treat it as canon, not try to wipe it out like Lucas and the prequels.

Hopefully they don't try to retcon *all* of it. On the other hand, The EU jumped the shark big time with NJO, and if the postquels retconned NJO and everything after it out of existence, it would be worth it even if the postquels were as bad as the prequels (or at least Episodes 2 and 3, Episode 1 wasn't that bad, IMHO).

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Or they could just do a reboot of the whole darn thing.

Let's face it. Star Wars as we know it worked best back then. There isn't much you can actually do with the existing material in comparison to the freedom a reboot gives.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I whipped this up
45999_10151229337468850_1239841588_n.jpg

Ark

Reaction score
Hopefully they don't try to retcon *all* of it. On the other hand, The EU jumped the shark big time with NJO, and if the postquels retconned NJO and everything after it out of existence, it would be worth it even if the postquels were as bad as the prequels (or at least Episodes 2 and 3, Episode 1 wasn't that bad, IMHO).

They shouldn't even need to go all the way up to NJO, there's enough material in the 20 years after ROTJ to make a lifetime's worth of movies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, I think that it can't get much worse than the prequels. StarWars was never an innovation in terms of story (ANH is really simply "The hidden fortress" in space), but at least well done. I would have higher expectations of Indiana Jones.

Lucas wanted to get Lucasarts handled over to a new owner before he gets too old to do that properly, thats all, and he made 4 billion USD with it. I can see far worse deals.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To say it in a phrase coined by the Star Wars movies...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

3) Lucas will probably not direct, no idea who, though I heard someone on twitter speculate that it might be the guy who directed The Avengers.

Wait, what's this? a new hope for the galaxy?

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Anyone remember the Animal Planet TV show, the Future Is Wild?

thefutureiswild1.jpg

This is kinda like that, except it isn't about gigantic CGI elephant-tortoises, it's about Star Wars and Disney.

Welcome to the future. The Future Is Weird.

APDAF

Reaction score
Great I need new pants and shorts. :thumbup:

Dr_Thomas

Reaction score
If Disney releases all three original films unedited from their original theatrical versions in a simple, 3 disk blu-ray box set in the highest quality possible... that's the only thing good that could happen.

If they finally do the originals justice, then it's worth it as far as I'm concerned. Even if the sequel trilogy is complete garbage (i.e., almost as bad as the prequels EDIT: the English language lacks the words needed to describe how terrible they were), at least the originals will be there. Who knows? Maybe 7, 8, and 9 will be decent movies, but it won't be the same (and we all know it).

What I really don't get is this: From a business perspective, it's a really good idea- I guarantee it will become sold out before you can blink. Maybe asking/petitioning Disney will work. They own Lucasfilm now, right? Does Lucas still own the original films?????????

I really don't understand why people dislike the enhanced versions. The story wasn't changed and in my opinion the expanded views of the cities and it's people added to the overall atmosphere. What's the big with seeing views of the cloud city out windows where there were once plain walls or forest were there were walls. I really just don't understand the hate towards Lucas for the enhanced versions.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Whatever people say about the I,II and III episodes, I found revenge of the sith awesome.