New Orbiter SVN commit (r.71, Oct 14 2017)

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Hm, yes, I can reproduce those step changes along the equator, although curiously not at lat=0, lon=0. Did you notice them anywhere other than for tiles having an edge on the equator? Do they only occur over water, or also over land tiles?

I didn't check in tileedit yet, but I would be surprised if it shows up there. All ocean tiles should have an elevation of 0, and the Earth elevation data have a vertical resolution of 1m, so a step of <1m can't be represented in the data. For now I don't have a strong suspicion, but maybe something is going wrong in the geometric transformation for the tile (in which case it should also occur over land).

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Hm, yes, I can reproduce those step changes along the equator, although curiously not at lat=0, lon=0. Did you notice them anywhere other than for tiles having an edge on the equator? Do they only occur over water, or also over land tiles?

I didn't check in tileedit yet, but I would be surprised if it shows up there. All ocean tiles should have an elevation of 0, and the Earth elevation data have a vertical resolution of 1m, so a step of <1m can't be represented in the data. For now I don't have a strong suspicion, but maybe something is going wrong in the geometric transformation for the tile (in which case it should also occur over land).

I first noticed it in the equator, +/- south of Edwards (about lon: -117º, if I recall correctly), then went to the 0º/0º and in there the mismatch is not only North/South, but also East/West.
Other than that, the only issue I found was in the East US, and that shows up in tileedit. Give me a few minutes to track down the original post (I probably should have created a bug report for it :facepalm:).

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:06 PM ----------

Other than that, the only issue I found was in the East US, and that shows up in tileedit. Give me a few minutes to track down the original post (I probably should have created a bug report for it :facepalm:).

Here it is.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
For easier reproduction: The scenario!
It's a bit better to see with D3D9Client, as the water is animated.
But the step is present also in Inline Graphic Client.

Attachments

• Step in the World.zip
    680 bytes · Views: 2

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
There seems to be a small typo in the "Atmospheric parameter configuration" window: An implementation of the Jacchia71-Gill (J71C) atmospheric model.

Upkeep

Reaction score
I hope someone can help me.

Since updating my Nvidia driver some weeks ago I have been unable to access Orbiter. I am running with driver 411.70, Windows 10 DirectX 12. It appears not to recognise the 3d element of the graphics card and Orbiter crashes immediately. I have used D3D9ClientBeta27-for Rev 73 and I am running the latest Orbiter Beta No 84. I do see my graphics driver in the video section (Nvidia GForce GX770) but not the 3d element. Also the resolution box remains blank. When I launch, it immediately crashes. I have tried regular Orbiter beta, Orbiter NG beta, standard Orbiter 2016 plus NG. All the same. The message I get is as follows:
000000.000:
000000.000: **** Creating simulation session
000000.000: D3D9: [DirectX 9 Initialized]
000000.000: D3D9: 3D-Adapter.............. : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770
000000.000: D3D9: ERROR: pD3D->GetDeviceCaps(Adapter, D3DDEVTYPE_HAL, &caps)
000000.000: D3D9: ERROR: ERROR: Failed to initialize 3D Framework
000000.000: D3D9: ERROR: Invalid Window !! RenderWndProc() called after calling clbkDestroyRenderWindow() uMsg=0xD
000000.000: D3D9: ERROR: Invalid Window !! RenderWndProc() called after calling clbkDestroyRenderWindow() uMsg=0xC

I realise I could try and go back to a much earlier Nvidia driver, but I don't really feel that is a permanent solution going forward as it may give me other problems later on other programmes.

I just wondered if there was any simple way around the problem.

Any help greatly appreciated.
Best wishes

Upkeep.

Upkeep

Reaction score
I assume that no one can help me on the problem posted above. Have I posted this in the wrong place perhaps? Or maybe there is just no solution...other than going back to an old driver...

All the best

Upkeep

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
A failure of GetDeviceCaps seems strange. Maybe an unstable driver? I assume you tried different graphics options (fullscreen, windowed, different colour depths and resolutions) all with the same result?

I haven't seen any other reports with this. Maybe you could try a different driver, either earlier or later? Nvidia seems to suggest version 416.16 as current. Other than that I have no suggestions.

Upkeep

Reaction score
Thank you very much for your response. Yes, I have tried all the different graphics options you suggested but with no success. I am now running with the very latest Nvidia driver which I installed a couple of days ago. This has not helped, sadly. I have also tried clean installs and reinstalls of recent Nvidia drivers, still no success.

As all the recent Nvidia drivers have not helped, I would probably have to go a long way back to find one that works for me (it has been like this for a couple of months or so).

But of course I could download one of these early drivers and try. But I do like to keep up with the latest drivers as other programs could be affected if I don't. However this is an option, of course.

Also, I was thinking of reinstalling Orbiter from scratch to see if that helped, but as the standard 2016 Orbiter and the Beta version don't work for me I doubt that would help much and I would lose all the downloaded scenery.

As an aside I have had a similar problem with the Garmin Training software which won't run for me and I get a message concerning Direct X 9.0 problems. I have DirectX 12 installed of course on Windows 10, but I understand the previous versions of DirectX are also included.

Anyway, I will keep on trying.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Best wishes
Upkeep

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...As an aside I have had a similar problem with the Garmin Training software which won't run for me and I get a message concerning Direct X 9.0 problems. I have DirectX 12 installed of course on Windows 10, but I understand the previous versions of DirectX are also included...
Did you actually install DirectX9 on your system, or do you think that "previous versions of DirectX are also included"?

Upkeep

Reaction score
Thanks very much for the follow up, Ripley.

I have DirectX 12 installed. If I try to install DirectX9 it says I have a newer version installed. If I go to the DirectX files in Windows Systems I do see I have a collection of d3dx9.dlls and files, which I understand would handle an DirectX9 applications. This might not be the case of course.

I have assumed everything was down to a Nvidia driver update as the problem happened suddenly, though it could have been after a Windows Update of course. The strange thing is that no one else seems to have the problem.

Hope this clarifies things.

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes Upkeep

Atkara

Reaction score
I have DirectX 12 installed. If I try to install DirectX9 it says I have a newer version installed. If I go to the DirectX files in Windows Systems I do see I have a collection of d3dx9.dlls and files, which I understand would handle an DirectX9 applications. This might not be the case of course.

When you say you tried to install DirectX9, you mean you tried to install DirectX Redist. June 2010 and Win10 didn't accept it? From my brief experience with it (a couple of years ago) it don't recall it having any objections.

Upkeep

Reaction score
Thanks for your interest. I tried to install it via dxwebsetp.exe from the Windows site. Maybe this was the wrong one?
All the best
Upkeep

Atkara

Reaction score
Propably.

Try the link I gave you. It points where the file I'm talking about can be downloaded from, on Microsoft's website. Once downloaded, running it will prompt you to extract it's contents. Write down the suggested folder name, let it extract, then run the dxsetup.exe you'll find there. It'll do the rest.

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
I recall I also had to install DX9 on my - then - new Win10 pc, and I had no problems.
Windows didn't complain about it.

Upkeep

Reaction score
Thanks again for your help. Tried the link and downloaded. It installed OK with no problems, but still left with the same issue with Orbiter. Cannot launch. The same problem. This one has beaten me! I guess I shall have to give up and uninstall. A shame after all these years!

Thanks again for your help.

Best wishes

Upkeep

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Upkeep,
don't give up (so early).

Let's try to narrow down the issue.
The list is what I think you've done / what you're at.
Please check every point and give corrections where I might be wrong or you get different results or have problems.
Some steps/points are just assumptions by me, not all points are "tasks" ;)

[a] OS is Windows 10 (64bit)
Orbiter is installed in a Path that does allow execution. ("C:\Programm Files" might not be OK as of UAC restrictions. Try "Desktop" to see if it runs better there)
[c] You are running Orbiter BETA (from the subversion repository)
[d] You have installed (at least some) Texture packs
[e] You can run Orbiter.exe (inline client) and start a simple scenario
[f] You have downloaded and installed the DirectX 9 runtimes.
[g] You have installed D3D9Client
[h] You should be able to run Orbiter_ng.exe
You have enabled the D3D9Client under the modules tab
[j] You have set up the screen according to your needs/wishes.
[k] You can now start a scenario

Upkeep

Reaction score
How kind of you to offer to help! Thank you.

To answer the points

[a] OS is Windows 10 (64bit) - Yes. That is correct
Orbiter is installed in a Path that does allow execution. ("C:\Programm Files" might not be OK as of UAC restrictions. Try "Desktop" to see if it runs better there) Both Orbiter and Orbiter beta are installed on a separate hard drive - my E drive, with shortcuts on the desktop
[c] You are running Orbiter BETA (from the subversion repository) Yes and the standard Orbiter 2016
[d] You have installed (at least some) Texture packs: Yes, Moon and Mars and some Earth tiles.
[e] You can run Orbiter.exe (inline client) and start a simple scenario: No. I can open the menu but in Video it just shows RGB Emulation. When I launch Orbiter it crashes.
[f] You have downloaded and installed the DirectX 9 runtimes. Yes, and these are installed
[g] You have installed D3D9Client: Yes. For Orbiter Beta - D3D9ClientBeta27-forRev73 and for Orbiter 2016 - D3D9Client2016-R3b
[h] You should be able to run Orbiter_ng.exe No. Menu opens OK but on Launch Orbiter command or any scenario it crashes
You have enabled the D3D9Client under the modules tab: Yes
[j] You have set up the screen according to your needs/wishes. Yes. Though the resolution box in the Video section is blank. When I run the NG version (Orbiter Beta and Orbiter 2016) it shows my Nvidia driver by name but nothing else. For the ordinary orbiter. exe it just shows RGB Emulation (both Beta and 2016)
[k] You can now start a scenario: No crashes as soon as I press Launch Orbiter or try a scenario. Same with both versions of Orbiter and same with Orbiter.exe and Orbiter.NG.

Hope this helps to throw some light on the problem.

Many thanks again for your help.

Best wishes

Upkeep

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for your detailed feedback :thumbup:

It seems that Orbiter can't figure out your graphics hardware....hmm
Could you try the following:
Check the "Always enumerate devices" box under "Video" tab (meaning: it should be "checked").
Then close the launchpad dialog and open it again. Sometimes that helped to detect the graphics card.
Do this with Orbiter.exe first, although Orbiter_NG.exe should perform the same tasks, but first the inline client has to work, so we'll stick to that issue first.

If that doesn't change anything, I am currently out of ideas, but maybe someone else had similar issues with a graphics adapter.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
There should be an option on the menu, when you right click the orbiter.exe file, saying "Run with graphics processor", where you can choose between the Intel integrated GPU and the NVIDIA GPU. If it runs in the Intel and not in the NVIDIA, then it could be some configuration change in the NVIDIA control panel... or it fried... :shifty:

Upkeep

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. In fact, I do not have a choice of graphics, just Nvidia. I have tried with the default Nvidia settings in Control Panel, and the Nvidia Graphics Card works fine with other applications.

Thanks anyway for your help.
Best wishes

Upkeep.