New Orbiter SVN commit (r.71, Oct 14 2017)

Eduard

Reaction score
Bug: Having the "Remote Vessel Control" enabled causes CTD when launching Orbiter rev. 55.

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Request: HSI Variable Approach Angle

Would it be possible to modify the HSI MFD to support a variable approach angle?

For example, the Shuttle Atlantis approach angle is 20 degrees. The PAPI at KSC is set at 20 degrees but the HSI shows a much lower angle.

Thanks.

jarmonik

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
users.kymp.net
I also want to keep the interface between Orbiter file requests and the zip file server module reasonably abstract, so that the zip server could eventually be replaced by a network server for remote tileset access, although that's a bit further down the line.
That sounds like a good idea. Also, in the current implementation it would be helpful if the path to a planetary textures could be specified. Users tend to have multiple installations of Orbiter, I got three right now. So, it would help a lot if an additional installations could fetch a planetary textures from the master installation.

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
That sounds like a good idea. Also, in the current implementation it would be helpful if the path to a planetary textures could be specified. Users tend to have multiple installations of Orbiter, I got three right now. So, it would help a lot if an additional installations could fetch a planetary textures from the master installation.
That's what symbolic links are perfect for!
I have 15! Different Installations, 4 of which are Orbiter BETA based. Those 4 all have symbolic links at Textures folder for the Hi-Res Textures and Elevation maps...
This is the batch, that creates the links:
Code:
@echo off
setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion

set SRC=c:\Program Files (x86)\Orbiter\_Resources\Textures
set DST=.\Textures
set JUNCTION=c:\Program Files (x86)\Orbiter\_Resources\junction.exe

for /F "tokens=*" %%d in ('dir /b /a:d "%SRC%"') do (
  set NAME=%%d
  if "!NAME:~-4!" neq ".old" (
    echo.  %%d
    if exist "%DST%/%%d" rmdir /S /Q "%DST%/%%d"
    "%JUNCTION%" "%DST%\%%d" "%SRC%\%%d" > nul
  )
)
endlocal
In my example all the "shared" resources are located at "_Resources" Folder.
junction.exe is my favorite 'link-creator' btw. and is from SYSINTERNALS.
The extra check for paths "not ending in '.old' " just skips folders I like to keep, but should not be linked.

indy91

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have a question about Orbiter 2016 and I hope this is the appropriate place to ask it.

Does Orbiter 2016 accurately model the Earth as an oblate spheroid and if yes, is the atmosphere modeled to fit the spheroid? I am asking about the shape here, not the gravitational model.

While working on the Virtual AGC for NASSP we have noticed that multiple programs have trouble with the spherical Earth in Orbiter 2010. For example, the program 22 of the AGC is used to track a landmark on Earth. As an input the program wants geocentric latitude, longitude and altitude above the Fischer ellipsoid. The AGC then calculates the position vector of the landmark from these inputs. For a landmark on the Earth, we kind of have to trick the AGC to make it work. The longitude is fine, but latitude and altitude have to be adjusted so the AGC finds the correct position of the landmark on the spherical Earth. In NASSP we have set the radius of the spherical Earth to the radius at Cape Canaveral.

Similarly the entry interface is defined as 400k ft altitude above the Earth. Again, the spherical vs. ellipsoid Earth is relevant in some calculations the AGC does. The AGC actually has a program to calculate midcourse corrections itself. For low latitudes at entry interface, where the radius difference is more pronounced, the maneuvers the AGC is calculating become increasingly inaccurate.

I have set a Delta Glider at different points on the Earth on oceans and the radius always seemed to be identical. So if despite the awesome terrain models in Orbiter 2016 the average shape of the Earth is still not an oblate spheroid, consider this a feature request. :thumbup:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I notice there are camera animations in the new welcome scenario, how was that done? I tried opening the playback editor but have been unable to find any new event type.
Also, if you stop the playback halfway through, those camera animations keep playing anyway.

T1234

Reaction score
Is it possible to have just the highest earth res texture with the low res elev,if so, what download is it and is the EarthLo level 11?

TCR_500

Developer of Solar Lander
Reaction score
Website
www.tchapman500.com
A few notes about the ShuttleA spacecraft before you take Orbiter 2016 out of Beta:

1. The window mesh in the VC doesn't line up properly with the rest of the mesh. It's on the top left and top right corners of the windows where you have this problem.
2. The top panel in the 2D cockpit cannot be accessed and is missing the pod release buttons.
3. Could the VC be made to match the 2D panel?

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, guys!

I have the orbiter beta which is released on February 16th I believe, I read the textures pack installation instructions but I don't see textures>planets in the orbiter beta directory. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Should be like...
D:\orbiter_beta\Textures\Earth
D:\orbiter_beta\Textures\Mars
...etc

vinny5000

Reaction score
Hi, Jroly!

The textures are working now! Thanks!

Cheers,
Vincent

JMW

Aspiring Addon Developer
Reaction score
Not Recognizing Pad Occupied

"SOLVED"
Well not diagnosed but....
Scenario from r.54 works in r.55, but scenario in r.55 doesn't work in r.54....
Be interested to see what result you have with scenario attached and where.
BUT DON'T WASTE ANY TIME ON IT DOC. PLEASE

Beta rev55.
Why does the "pad occupied" flag not come up?
The craft is definitely Inactive (Landed) according to Scenario Editor, but nothing shows against pad in Info tab - Object = Base......
Code that worked pre Beta to detect occupation does not function either (understandably) which is annoying.

Scenario attached is at Cape Canaveral base.
Someone please try it on their set-up to see if you get the same result.

Please Doc, if this could be solved pre release it would be great!

Last edited:

GLS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is a bug report or a "request" so I'm just going to put it here.
If a scenario starts with the distance to the vessel under whatever minimum value the new Orbiter now imposes, one cannot move the view back, i.e. the camera gets stuck at the current distance.

---------- Post added at 01:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:20 AM ----------

And another thing, looks like the MAKEGROUPARRAY points for attachments aren't being updated in the first time step. This is reproducible with Atlantis by grappling something, exiting, and on a new run the attached object will be in the position it would be if the arm was stowed (and the arm is correctly in the saved position). (Starting the sim paused shows the issue better.)

Last edited: