Neptune and Uranus may have diamond oceans

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No, enough high velocity particles will erode the atmosphere. It happens all the time, just very slowly and with far thinner atmospheres- Mars would be a good example.

You would probably need a very powerful spacecraft with it's thrusters at full tilt for a very long time to get that atmosphere to blow away. And I would not be surprised if the amount of propellant for that thruster would be prohibitive.

Not including the troubles of keeping the spacecraft in place with this big huge thruster going, or where all that exhaust + atmosphere would go to...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
And who says we're going to do that? ;)
And even if Earth becomes a wastebin or nature reserve, there may still be billions of people living in the solar system...
Well, we can build something like that out of it, put an engine to it, and go to the nearest galaxy, running from our own one's exploding core of supernovaes.
casort.png

You would probably need a very powerful spacecraft with it's thrusters at full tilt for a very long time to get that atmosphere to blow away. And I would not be surprised if the amount of propellant for that thruster would be prohibitive.

Not including the troubles of keeping the spacecraft in place with this big huge thruster going, or where all that exhaust + atmosphere would go to...
Sounds like a waste of resources.
Why not put a few square Gm's of mirrors aiming the sunlight at the planet, getting the atmosphere so hot it will vent itself away all the way to the diamond core?

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There was a Star Trek episode in which Kirk was contamplating the effect of opening one of the ship's antimatter bottles on a planet's surface, thus allowing it to contact the matter of the bottle and explode. He said it would strip away half the planet's atmosphere...just sayin', maybe antimatter explosives are the way to go.

(PS: This doesn't explain why the destruction of the Enterprise in ST3: The Search for Spock didn't destroy the Genesis planet...)

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, we can build something like that out of it, put an engine to it, and go to the nearest galaxy, running from our own one's exploding core of supernovaes.

:rofl:

No, giant magnifying glasses. Mirrors reflect, not boost.

Yes, but if the geometry of the mirror is correct, it will be able to reflect the same amount of energy on a far smaller area- more heat. Although I can't help thinking of how large and massive such a mirror would have to be, especially at the orbit of Neptune. And thrust problems are not escaped; the mirror would be a solar sail. Granted, it could use this to it's advantage, as a sort of statite, but still...

He said it would strip away half the planet's atmosphere...just sayin', maybe antimatter explosives are the way to go.

Trek tends to overestimate the power of matter-antimatter anihillation sometimes...AFAIK a kilo of antimatter anihillated with matter would produce less energy than the most powerful nuclear device ever tested.

If you had enough antimatter though, sure. But of course if you are manufacturing (and containing !) thousands of tons of antimatter, making diamonds would be very easy.

I guess you could shoot ion particles at the atmosphere.

Sure, but where would they come from, and how would you prevent the emitter from flying off into space?

An "ion particle shooter" is also a big thruster.

Or send about 50,000,000 artificial comets at Uranus while you flee to the other side of the universe.

Crash Pluto into it?

Although "the other side of the Universe" is way out. I'd only be safe if I were in Alpha Centauri though. :shifty:

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I concur with supersonic. The whole reason of stripping the mantle is so that we can get to the core.

Again, you are going to need a lot of explosive power. Antimatter, maybe, and the problems that come with that. Which are made worse into the impossible with all the high pressure high temperature liquid hydrogen, ammonia and carbon...

And the placement at the very center of the planet is not optimal. An arrangement of several devices near the boundary of the carbon rich layer would be better for blowing the mantle away, I'd imagine. This is provided that we have unobtainium bomb shells and we are able to shunt excess heat into subspace. :rolleyes:

And even then I'm not sure it will actually do any good. Even with a method that is actually sensible, there's no saying the core will be in good shape once we can get to it.

Either way, if you want to do this... notify me five years or so in advance. I would not want to be near a Neptune in the progress of mantle-stripping...

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
(PS: This doesn't explain why the destruction of the Enterprise in ST3: The Search for Spock didn't destroy the Genesis planet...)

Looks like it was done by conventional explosives. First it blew up the bridge, then roughly half of the forward saucer section which doesn't contain any engines at all, and the secondary hull which houses the warp core stayed intact while the ship plunged into the atmosphere. Which begs the question, how the heck could that kind of explosion stop the Enterprise in orbit to make it fall down with that angle?

Ah, well...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
What about opening a wormhole between the cores of Neptune and the Sun?
The pressure from the Sun's core would rip that planet into many tiny, easily mine-able pieces. (And supernovae the Sun, so we better pick a more useless star somewhere far away)

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
What about opening a wormhole between the cores of Neptune and the Sun?
The pressure from the Sun's core would rip that planet into many tiny, easily mine-able pieces.

I this happens remind me not to fly in the outer planets... and near the Sun.:lol:

Last edited:

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
And how about you guys finally getting real? :lol:

Last edited:

supersonic

Add-on Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
fsxpilots.webs.com
I this happens remind me not to fly in the outer planets... and near the Sun.:lol:

Do not tempt us. We might decide to do a commando raid on the LHC to steal a mini-black hole and use it to stripmine a gas giant.

Forget my post, remind me not to fly in this galaxy with you guys around.:p

:rofl:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
And how about you guys finally getting real? :lol:
Who needs a diamond the size of the Moon anyway?
I would rather trade it for a spaceship engine good enough to get me to Mars and back, while being buildable in a garage.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can find better uses for wormholes. :rolleyes:

I would rather trade it for a spaceship engine good enough to get me to Mars and back, while being buildable in a garage.

No. Idiots could hurt themselves.

But... uh, could you give me the plans? I will keep it very very secret, I swear...

Were a bit off topic here. I'll create a thread about wacky ways to destroy the universe later.

uh...

Neptune into Uranus, Uranus into Saturn, Saturn into Jupiter, Jupiter into the Sun.

uhh...

Remind me to build the ultimate intergalactic spacecraft.

Not for that. But if you want, you can watch the pretty lightshow from my home in Alpha Centauri once NeptuneUranusSaturnJupiter finally crashes into Sol.

Hopefully Alpha Centauri B won't be up. The light pollution from it is really atrocious.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
4.4 light years. But that should be adequate for the sort of flare-up the collision of NeptuneUranusSaturnJupiter with Sol would cause.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Pffft, get a proper spacecraft. I'll get there in a little under two years.

Which yes, is possible without FTL due to time dilation.

Of course, y'all would see the trip taking 4.7 years. Which is why it's best if you warn me about five years in advance...