Updates NASA Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap)

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It's unproven because no spacecraft has done a pinpoint landing from Earth's orbit before.

NextBigLeap

Reaction score
Tune in to NASA TV in 10 minutes! But I think the space plane era should be over for now, i want the Dragon V2 to return manned launches to the USA's soil.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
What's unproven? The actual landing technique, or the systems needed for landing? I don't see how the SuperDrago's an issue. To my knowledge, SpaceX's not going full powered flight for the initial NASA missions (if it gets them), if at all.

SpaceX Dragon CCiCAP landings: 'chutes & rockets - YouTube

10 minutes to go!

I think he means the V2 version of the Dragon. The normal Dragon as we know now is is more a version as it looks like now to proof new technologies and deviling/sending back cargo.

The V2 is very unproven, SpaceX wants to use the V2 as the manned dragon version, but however, is that not a waste of millions of (taxpaying) dollars for using first the Dragon as we know it now, and then suddenly switching towards an other version and need to do again a whole ride of R&D and testing?

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
It's unproven because no spacecraft has done a pinpoint landing from Earth's orbit before.

I wouldn't think "pinpoint landing" would make the system unproven. SpaceX doesn't need to do a pinpoint landing if they are landing with parachutes + SuperDrago, which they should be doing for the NASA flights.

Of course, that can't be said true for the full rocket landing version. But that shouldn't be a problem with NASA choosing the system, since it wouldn't fly in this mode on NASA anyhow.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Sounds like dream chaser is off the table.

ETA: Talking only about Boeing and SpaceX

Last edited:

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
I think he means the V2 version of the Dragon.

I know that. I didn't think there aren't a lot of differences between the two (besides the outer mold line and powered landing implements).

---------- Post added at 08:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Oh. :(

They crushed a Dream!!!

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
CST-100 and Dragon V2 .. so finally, the CST-100 will be VHS and Dragon V2 will be betamaxx.

RonDVouz

Reaction score

ETA: Talking only about Boeing and SpaceX

Like I said, DARPA wants a spaceplane. I don't think it's dead but what it does won't be public record.

Alfastar

да
Reaction score

No, no no, there not even call yet about SNC or even the Dream chaser :(

Looks like you can win more with being a large company or make a very simple boilerplate and make a party about it.

Serious, why dismissing the Dream chaser?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
We all know betamaxx was better.

ISProgram

SketchUp Orbinaut
Reaction score
No, no no, there not even call yet about SNC or even the Dream chaser :(

Looks like you can win more with being a large company or make a very simple boilerplate and make a party about it.

Serious, why dismissing the Dream chaser?

If I understand correctly, it's a maximum of $6.8 billion over the initial contract term. Boeing gets $4.2 billion and SpaceX gets $2.6 billion.

So it does seem Dream Chaser lost...:(

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I guess they mostly want the safe and conservative option.

Or it could mean SpaceX can do it for less.

Last edited:

Alfastar

да
Reaction score
If I understand correctly, it's a maximum of $6.8 billion over the initial contract term. Boeing gets $4.2 billion and SpaceX gets $2.6 billion.

So it does seem Dream Chaser lost...:(

To be honest in my own opinion, SNC was the most active busy with the Dream chaser then Boeing was with the CST-100 and SpaceX with using the Dragon V2.

I don't know with what for argument NASA did choice the CST-100 and the Dragon V2 instead of the DC

RonDVouz

Reaction score
To be honest in my own opinion, SNC was the most active busy with the Dream chaser then Boeing was with the CST-100 and SpaceX with using the Dragon V2.

I don't know with what for argument NASA did choice the CST-100 and the Dragon V2 instead of the DC

Because there is a more lucrative future in store for dreamchaser with the military than with NASA. I think they knew that too.

MattBaker

Reaction score
I hope the JAXA-Dream Chaser partnership moves on.

I'm not sure, what happens if you have to abort during the launch from Japan? From the US it's at least possible to go to Europe. From Japan you go...where?

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Boeing's CST-100 and SpaceX's Dragon will be the next American crew space transportation systems! Boeing and SpaceX are expected to have their spacecraft proven and flying from U.S. soil in 2017, including completing a test flight with a NASA astronaut to the International Space Station. These companies won't have to complete the development work by itself – NASA's spaceflight experts in engineering and technology will work closely with the teams to make sure everything is as safe and reliable as it can be.

Read more from NASA Administrator Bolden: http://go.nasa.gov/1mbOZd9

Watch the announcement now: http://www.nasa.gov/nasatv

Summary.

NextBigLeap

Reaction score
What's with the difference in money between the two contracts? A lot of reasons come to mind but $4.2 billion to $2.6 billion seems a little off to me.