Updates NASA Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap)

Wood

Reaction score
NASA released the CCiCap solicitation today, so I suppose this deserves its own thread. Proposals are due by the 23rd of March with the winners to be announced in August. The goal is for orbital crewed demonstration flights from multiple providers by the middle of the decade.

Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap)

In 2009, NASA began commercial crew initiatives to stimulate the private sector to develop and demonstrate human spaceflight capabilities that could ultimately lead to the availability of commercial human spaceflight services for both commercial and Government customers. Those initiatives focused on maturing designs of elements of a crew transportation system (CTS).

NASA intends to begin a new initiative, the Commercial Crew integrated Capability (CCiCap), to facilitate industry’s development of an integrated CTS. This activity is expected to result in significant maturation of commercial CTS. Facilitating development of this U.S. capability is expected to provide national economic benefit and support safe, reliable, and cost effective transportation to Low-Earth Orbit (LEO).

NASA intends to solicit proposals from U.S. space industry participants to mature the design and development of an integrated CTS which includes spacecraft, launch vehicle, ground and mission systems. Selected CCiCap participants will receive funded Space Act Agreements (SAAs) under NASA’s Other Transactions Authority within the National Aeronautics and Space Act, 51 U.S.C. 20113.
Links to synopsis and solicitation.

Commercial Crew Program website.
Alternative Commercial Crew Program website.

CCDev-2 thread.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASA:
RELEASE : 12-045
NASA Calls for New Commercial Crew Proposals

Feb. 7, 2012

WASHINGTON -- As part of NASA's ongoing efforts to foster development of a U.S. commercial crew space transportation capability to and from low Earth orbit and the International Space Station, NASA has issued a call for industry to submit proposals for the Commercial Crew Integrated Capability Initiative.

It's expected that proposals will lead to Space Act Agreements that will help NASA and the U.S. achieve safe, reliable, and cost effective human access to space. NASA expects to make multiple awards this summer, with values ranging from $300 - $500 million.

To provide industry a better understanding of this initiative so that they may provide more comprehensive proposals, NASA plans a pre-proposal conference on Feb. 14, at the Courtyard Marriott in Cocoa Beach, Fla. Proposals are due March 23.

"President Obama is working hard to create an American economy built to last," NASA Administrator Charles Bolden said. "NASA's support of commercial innovation to reach low Earth orbit is helping to support these efforts by spurring new technological development and creating jobs and economic benefits for years to come."

NASA's announcement asks industry to propose a base period of approximately 21 months, running from award through May 2014. The goals of the base period include completing the design of a fully integrated commercial crew transportation system, which consists of the spacecraft, launch vehicle, ground operations, and mission control. In addition, NASA is asking for the proposals to contain optional milestones beyond the base period leading to and culminating in a crewed orbital demonstration flight.

{...}

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice to see some progress being made, at least on the managerial side of things.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASA:
Commercial Crew Program Introduces CCiCap Initiative

Feb. 14, 2012

Aerospace companies bidding for NASA's Commercial Crew Program (CCP) development dollars will be expected to present the agency with a viable spacecraft and rocket combination along with blueprints for a mission control center and ground operations.

"We don't want a sales pitch, we don't want an advertisement," said Ed Mango, CCP program manager, during a preproposal conference on Feb. 14. "We want to know how they are technically going to make this happen."

Mango and his team are anticipating a bright next phase of development as the agency prepares to award funding for fully integrated crew transportation systems in the summer of 2012. The awards are expected to lead to activities engineers dream about, such as drop tests, engine test fires, pad abort tests and demonstration flights.

"For the first time, we are asking for the full-up, end-to-end integrated system," said Phil McAlister, NASA's director of Commercial Spaceflight Development.

{colsp=2}
Click on images to enlarge​
| Commercial Crew Program Manager Ed Mango talks to industry partners and stakeholders during a Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap) preproposal conference on Feb. 14.
Image credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett​
| NASA's Director of Commercial Spaceflight Development Phil McAlister talks to industry partners and stakeholders during a Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap) preproposal conference on Feb. 14.
Image credit: NASA/Kim Shiflett​

The conference was a follow-on to an agency Announcement for Proposals (AFP) issued Feb. 7 that requested aerospace companies submit their plans for the Commercial Crew Integrated Capability (CCiCap) initiative by March 23. The conference was held to explain details of the AFP and answer questions from industry. More than 50 industry partners and stakeholders from 25 companies attended to ask NASA what it would be looking for in terms of milestones, funding, schedules, strategies, safety cultures, business modules and eventual flight certification standards.

"We're looking for questions that probe the technical part of this announcement and probe what we can and cannot do within this announcement," Mango said.

During CCiCap, the program plans to award multiple Space Act Agreements, valued from $300 million to $500 million each. Pointing out the successes of the first two development rounds for CCP, Mango said NASA intends to continue to foster competition by investing in more than one company.

"We want to advance multiple integrated crew transportation systems with the path of getting to an orbital demo flight by the middle of the decade," Mango said.

The announcement asked for proposals to include a base period of about 21 months, running from award through May 2014. Optional milestones beyond the base period also should be outlined leading to and culminating in a crewed orbital demonstration flight.

The goal of CCiCap is to develop an indigenous U.S. transportation system that can safely, affordably and routinely fly to low Earth orbit destinations. For NASA, that destination is the International Space Station. The space agency also will look for the companies chosen during CCiCap to throw in their own investments in order reduce the gap in which America is without its own transportation system.

"It's very different than the customer-supplier relationship, it's very much a partnership," McAlister said. "Since there are some other markets, besides just NASA, that industry could sell these services to, we think a partnership makes sense."

Those other low Earth orbit markets include research in the health and medical field, satellite servicing, space tourism and the transportation of astronauts from countries that don’t have human spaceflight programs.

While partnership remains the common theme of NASA's commercial crew development phases, the agency will continue to maintain more of an insight role than a traditional government oversight role during CCiCap.

"At the end of the day, you all (industry) are the ones who will make this work," said Brent Jett, CCP's deputy program manager. "We'll invest and we'll help, but you are the ones who will do the heavy lifting."

{...}

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
All in all I like what I'm reading. I do wonder who's astronauts will "be the first"? Meaning will SpaceX/SpaceDev/Blue Origin/Boeing crew their own craft? AFAIR, all the companies have former NASA astronauts working for them now.

I would hazard a guess that any current member of the astronaut corp would jump to be the first to fly a new craft (one proven with unmanned flight).

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I would hazard a guess that any current member of the astronaut corp would jump to be the first to fly a new craft (one proven with unmanned flight).

"I would hazard a guess that any current member of the astronaut corp would jump to be the first to fly a [snap] craft (one proven with unmanned flight)." :p

For me, the question is still : when ? I like this part however :

"We don't want a sales pitch, we don't want an advertisement," said Ed Mango, CCP program manager, during a preproposal conference on Feb. 14. "We want to know how they are technically going to make this happen."

Wait & see...

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
if they are asking for cradle to grave, how will space communications systems grow with the initiave, that's alot of infrastructure, and a land grabbing effort will be made by all involved. I'm glad I have an NCM degree and I'm working on my ITM masters. However I think portable sea worthy communications may be the ticket, there are lots of mothballed Navy ships dying for a new life, and this would be a cheap venture for a small communications company with a grasp of it's value.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Parabolic Arc: Wolf Relents on Single Commercial Crew Downselect Demand:
Rep. Frank Wolf (R-VA) released a statement today saying he had reached an agreement with NASA that will allow the space agency to select at least two commercial crew providers this summer for the next round of the program.

Key details include:
  • NASA will issue not more than 2.5 (two full and one partial) CCiCAP awards
  • Commercial crew fiscal year 2013 funding level will be at or near the Senate Appropriations Committee approved amount of $525 million (less than $830 million requested by Obama Administration)
  • future program funding after the CCiCAP phase will require FAR-based certification and service contracts
  • NASA will produce a new, “substantially complete” procurement strategy for FAR-based contracts prior to the awarding CCiCAP contracts
  • The space agency will vet commercial crew participants’ financial health and viability before providing CCiCAP funds
  • NASA will ensure “the government’s ‘first right of refusal’ to acquire property developed under or acquired as part of the commercial crew program at a price that reflects the taxpayers’ existing investment in its development.”
The agreement was reached through an exchange of letters between Wolf and NASA Administrator Charles Bolden. Wolf’s full statement with links to the letters is reproduced after the break.

{...}

Aviation Week: House Chairman Eases Commercial Crew Restriction

Space News: Wolf Gives Ground on Commercial Crew

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sticking with burdensome government regulation and reducing competition, just not two things I would think a republican would stand for.

Is it just me or does this definitly rule out Blue Origins?

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
So much for government keeping out of the way of free enterprise.

This means that the majority working on these should not even bother with the paperwork after their current contracts are done.

It will be SpaceX, Boeing, and MAYBE SpaceDev for the .5 option. Because that will be the only "safe" route with such horridly limited funding. And that most likely end up as SpaceX and Boeing as the ones even remotely able to get the real contracts.

FADEC

Reaction score
I do wonder who's astronauts will "be the first"? Meaning will SpaceX/SpaceDev/Blue Origin/Boeing crew their own craft? AFAIR, all the companies have former NASA astronauts working for them now.

I would say that SpaceX quite definitely will be the first one. As far as I know nobody else is that close to send a manned capsule/spacecraft to low earth orbit. Not even NASA is currently. Only seats, controls and a launch abort system is required and SpaceX can go to space manned.

10 years ago I never expected that a relatively small and young company would outstrip the worlds biggest and best space agency when it comes to sending a capsule to space, to the ISS, and return it home with a solid capability for manned flights.

In the end the USA still rules. Although not NASA this time. But it hugely supported SpaceX, which I think should be one of the tasks of such a big space agency. So the Commercial Crew course is one of the best things I have seen coming from NASA for almost decades.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Honestly, and this is not being a bias SpaceX fanboy for a sec, I think SpaceX is the only one that can do it with the money congress is likely to give them. If SpaceX wins a primary contract for the next round they will pretty much have a complete system. They only have to finish dev on the escape system and do some flights with that. But maybe NASA won't let them test the propulsive landing on a CRS mission because they don't want the down mass to be compromised.

Still, I have to assume that what SpaceX has left to develop is so much less than what Boeing and Sierra have to develop that it's a no- brainer.

Of course that still doesn't preclude congress from screwing it up by forcing NASA to include Boeing becase of some strategic industral capabillity type argument.

My guess is going to be:

Spacex and Boeing for primes and Sierra for secondary.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Right with the very limited money congress is giving them. Which is vastly limiting the oppertunities for the others to compete. ALL milestones are being completed on schedule yet by the end of the year we will likely be down to just three working on it.

And SpaceDev(Sierra) will likely just barely hang on. Slowly making stuff in case SpaceX needs to be replaced yet never actually flying it.

A nice duopoly which is free to increase prices once the initial contracts are up. Brought to you by a congress which loves to tout free enterprise.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'd really like to see SpaceDev succeed. That little spaceplace has seen it's development ups and downs over the past several decades.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
I personally see it as a better option than Boeing yet more expensive than SpaceX. It has it's place yet the chances of it actually flying in space are low because Boeing will win #2 based on financial viability based on reduced budget.

Atleast it will be congress that screws them over. And not NASA directly.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
In the end the USA still rules. Although not NASA this time. But it hugely supported SpaceX, which I think should be one of the tasks of such a big space agency. So the Commercial Crew course is one of the best things I have seen coming from NASA for almost decades.

But there is also this German, private suborbital venture, Project Enterprise:

http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=362222&postcount=968

As I discuss there, just as Sierra Nevada can produce in the Dream Chaser a suborbital craft and an orbital spacecraft in parallel for development costs in the few hundred million dollar range, so also can the ESA member countries.
Perhaps you can read the Project Enterprise German language web site, Fadec. I can't tell if they are using kerosene of hydrogen fuel.
There has also been a proposal to produce a suborbital vehicle from SpaceShipTwo alone, without WhiteKnightTwo, by using the higher performance hydrogen fueled engine, the Vinci:

SpaceShipTwo could be single stage to suborbit says ESA firm.
By Rob Coppinger on April 29, 2010 4:24 PM
http://www.flightglobal.com/blogs/hyperbola/2010/04/spaceshiptwo-could-be-single-s.html

Note that the Vinci as is the Vulcain will be produced by the Ottobrunn, Germany division of EADS Astrium.

Likewise this suborbital craft could be developed in parallel with an orbital version.

Bob Clark

Last edited: