Project N1-L3 Soviet Lunar Program Development

Columbia42

Reaction score
I am currently (and have been since July 2010) working on an addon of the N1-L3 Soviet manned lunar landing program.

Some background info:
This program was originally initiated in the early 60s by Sergei Korolev as a counterpart to NASA's Apollo program. One among several other manned lunar plans competing for limited funding, Korolev's N1-L3 faced obstacles at every turn. In its final rendition N1-L3 was only a fraction of Chief Designer Korolev’s original dreams of exploring the Moon. Korolev died before any flight testing could be done of the N1-L3 spacecraft and rockets and his successor, Vassily Mishin was left to carry on the program. Four flight tests of the N1 rocket were launched from 1969 to 1972. All of them failed due to inadequate ground testing of the first stage of the rocket, a result of the program’s lack of funding. Two unmanned, Earth-orbit test flights of the LK lander were flown and both were extremely successful. One unmanned flight of the L1S lunar orbiter (a hybrid vehicle combining elements of both the L1 circumlunar spacecraft and the LOK orbiter) was also very successful. After the failures of the N1 rockets Vassily Mishin was fired and replaced with Valentin Glushko, one of Korolev’s rivals who was working on his own lunar mission plans. Eager to pursue his own plans, Glushko suspended the N1-L3 program in 1974 and cancelled it officially in 1976. All of the hardware including operational spacecraft and rockets was scrapped so that there would be no evidence that the Soviet Union ever had a manned lunar program.

Although far from completion my addon intends to simulate the N1-L3 mission profile as accurately as possible. Almost all of the models are by Jean-Marie Le Cosperec (http://celestiasws.free.fr/) from his Celestia addon of N1-L3. I will post some screenshots later.

boby_nadeau

Reaction score
Thus, there will be a 3d panel (according to the screenshot by Jean-Marie Le Cosperec ...) ? I sugest you (if possible) to make "random accidents", like pad explosion, engine fire...

I'm very exited about your addon .. ! Good luck !

diogom

Reaction score
Man, this looks awesome! Can't wait to fly it. :thumbup:

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
Wow that is awesome:thumbup:.Is there a projected release date?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score

Capt_hensley

Captain, USS Pabilli
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.h-10-k.com
Wow, Nice job!

^ re: random accidents. I think it would be refreshing just to launch the beast. The N-1s record is 0 for 4.

Sunhillow

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Very beautiful, Columbia!

btw, over at nasaspaceflight forum there has recently (until beginning of may) been a discussion about the N1 with valuable information, photos and renders.

Columbia42

Reaction score
Thanks for the support everyone! I've actually encountered a rather unusual problem that I could use some help with. All of the models were originally in 3ds format so I used the 3ds2msh converter to convert them. One model, however, (the LK lander) is too large for the converter to handle, meaning I had to import it to AC3D and export it as a msh file. This, unfortunately, does not preserve the textures. I would texture it myself except that the model is so hires that with my computer specs I can't really work with it in any of my 3D editing programs. If someone with a better computer (my specs are Pentium D @ 2.8 Ghz, ATI Radeon HD 5570, 2GB RAM) would like to help I would greatly appreciate it. Looking at photos of the LK it seems that only small adjustments would be needed such as a shiny gold and silver exterior and some tan, Vostok-cabin-like stuff for the interior. Editing the materials should do the trick but I also have plenty of textures to use if need be.

Here is the LK msh file if anyone's interested: View attachment LK1.zip

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
RE failures
Failures are good, but not ones before youve launched, you should only program in-flight failures, the ones that we actually have to handle as the pilot (?)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Looks very good!

A VC for the LOK is doable... I have a "spare" Soyuz 7K VC that perhaps can be modified to show a LOK panel...
Also, perhaps some of the configs from the 7K addon (things like RCS) can be useful here!

Columbia42

Reaction score
That would be great! Thanks 4throck! There are plenty of photos of the LOK interior and it looks pretty similar to the Soyuz except with only two seats and a different placement of windows.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
But isn't the interior already part of the meshes?

Like this:

LK-inter.jpg

and

lok-descent.jpg

From the image gallery I can't see if the LOK orbital module has interior. In this case it is important, because there was an observation cupula used for docking. I don't know how this would work (was the LOK manouvered from the orbital module ?).

How are you setting this up in Orbiter ? Custom .dll ?

Columbia42

Reaction score
The interior of the LK is part of the models but needs texturing. The LOK model does not have an interior even in the Celestia addon (I don't know why that picture of the LOK interior is there.) Right now I'm working on the LK's attitude control system and after that I'm planning to work on the LOK's reentry sequence.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That looks nice. Can't wait to fly it.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Ok, it makes sense. The LK looks real and matches the photos I've seen. That LOK has too many CRT screens for that time period and doesn't look right, so my guess is that it was left out of the Celestia addon.
Urwumpe, thanks for the link, I had those PDFs somewhere (I think you send those links when discussing the 7K instrumentation) but It's nice so have a direct link ;)

---------- Post added 07-10-11 at 03:11 PM ---------- Previous post was 07-09-11 at 11:31 PM ----------

The only panel that I could find is the L1:

zond_painel.jpg

There's are images of this on the PDF Urwumpe sent. The LOK panel images look like the LK lander. I might be confusing the cirilik letters but from the images that's what it looks like. Could someone post a image of a LOK reentry module panel ?

The only one I have is this one:

loksmint.jpg

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
This image shows Zond, not the LOK. There are some differences between the panels.

The important acronyms in the image description are ЛОК and ЛК.

Some panels are really common for both vehicles, others are unique.