Question Music Terminology question

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I have a problem finding an English word for a German music term.

What I mean is the concept of a "Locke", a small piece of music that is used for coordinating Corps of Drums and Military Brass band. It is played in advance of a march while the bands are already marching.

For example in this video:

The first 30 seconds are the parade march of the drum corps, a pure drum corps march, often played at the beginning of a parade (military and civilian - the drum corps of towns and clubs also play it). This is followed by 8 seconds of the "Locke", that I mean, which is pretty much for counting in the brass band. The final three beats on the snare drum in the final measure are the sign of transition there, the final beat of the measure is used in pretty much all German marches for the anacrusis for the march itself.

I suppose, it might be pretty special, since it applies to German march music, which is pretty different to other flavors of march music, already by the fact that other countries don't use drum corps and brass band at the same time.

But then, is there really not a similar concept in English or US march music?

Disclaimer: For making this safe for the Brighton Lounge, I decided to use a march that does not celebrate the victory over another country or which is linked to some kind of monarch. It is a popular German march, written by a famous Swiss composer in the 1920s and not part of German military music before the end of WW2.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I would have gone with cadence. Kwan's more specific answer sounds good. (though I didn't listen yet either)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I can't hear the clip you posted, but it sounds like you are describing a "roll-off". I will try to confirm when I get where I can hear it.

http://www.onlinedrummajor.com/dictionary.html

Yes, the function is similar, but a different kind of thing it seems, not a whole piece of music to signal the beginning of the march, but rather just a simple drum roll with the bass drum to time the next piece.

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
OK, I've listened to it now. You have a drum cadence for the first 30 seconds, and then a roll-off, but all of it with a piccolo or fife playing on top of it. Your roll-off is a bit longer than I have seen in use.

The 20th century fox fanfare starts with a roll-off, from 0:02 to 0:06. Most school marching bands in the States use something similar to this.

Another one at 0:30 (I have to post this one because I was a member of this band). This one marks a tempo change from our normal march pace to playing the fight song.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQB7Tg-lpHY"]University of Colorado marching band - state fair parade - YouTube[/ame]

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
I'm not sure, but maybe 'intro', 'fanfare', 'bridge' or 'break-strain'?

As far as I know 'Cadence' is drums only (the beat-keeping part you sometimes hear the drummer play as the band marches out of the arena, or when played in the beginning to start of the music)

Maybe this wiki is of some use:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_march_music#March_music_form

I guess this piece would be: Cadence, intro (or 'locke') and then the first strain:

The word 'locke' itself means 'curl', so it suggests that it should be a small twist to the music I suppose :)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The word 'locke' itself means 'curl', so it suggests that it should be a small twist to the music I suppose :)

Wrong root of the word :lol: "Locke" comes from "locken"/lure, entice, attract

It could be some kind of cadence, at least there are non-drum cadences that serve a similar purpose. But non really fitting, since the non-drum cadences describe chord pattern.

Roll-Off does not fit, it is drums only and much simpler.

A "Locke" or "Lockmarsch" in general is in the German description a music signal by drums and whistle to announce an event. There is also a pretty complex "Locke" during the climax of the German Grand Tattoo ceremony.