Project Multistage2015 - Development Thread

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Take your time and release it with a good doc and some examples.

Thrust position simulation will bring a good dose of realism :)

Will you simulate simple static aerodynamic surfaces ?
Some simple sounding rockets use them to induce roll and thus stabilize the rocket.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Actually atmospheric flight is only modelled at a basic level. But with the spin option of the guidance program the effect can be easily recreated

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Yes, you can define a spin and emulate it.
In fact, for sounding rockets (basically not guided, only stabilized), you'd also need to define a vertical launch angle.

So two welcome functions would be to define the angle (touchdown points) and simple spin inducing airframes :)

To make it clearer:
missile.gif

See the launch angle and higher COG ?

57625main_sounding_graph-lg.jpg

Actually the rocket should spin by itself and then the cargo (or upper stage despins (killrot command)

All this would be welcome, specially for OrbiterBeta with terrain. would make retrieval of experiments quite fun :lol:
But dont get distracted by it, finish what you have now. But keep it in mind, since it opens new possibilities for Orbiter.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Today's updates:
- Battery Life added. If nothing is specified, nothing happens, but if battery life (for each stage) is defined then batteries will discharge and when charge will be 0 the stage will be dead. This can be monitored in a dedicated MFD screen

- Attitude Control can be excluded at all or partially, i.e. pitch, roll and yaw have their own individual toggle buttons in the MFD

- Structure of MFD is now:
1) MENU and General Info
2) VEHICLE Screen - containing Fuel display, Batteries Display and Thrust Display
3) GUIDANCE Screen - containing all the information relevant to guidance program and the opportunity to modify it and save it
4) PAYLOAD Screen - containing simply all the infos on payloads onboard
5) CONTROL Screen - containin the target pointer and the toggle for attitude controls
6) MONITOR Screen - with the graphs of the current vehicle performance and the possibility to load a stored one for comparison

- Complex Flight mode has been implemented, this basically adds thrust fluctuations (in the order of 1.5% maximum amplitude). At the beginning of the simulation fluctuations are randomly determined and then follow 2 sin waves. The result is quite satisfactory, and in the Thrust screen the performance parameter has been added which monitors this fluctuations and randomize the flight just the necessary bit.

- Things that are still missing in my checklist:
a. Finish graphs of Monitor display and give a better shape to the Thrust Screen
b. Ullage engines to be added (I have some doubts on how structure the burn procedure for them)
c. Vertical angle parameter in the misc section to be added - Should be an easy trigonometric play with the touchdown points
d. I was thinking to add also a "engineout" call in the guidance file to turn off the engine of a stage volountarly (i.e. to reduce acceleration).

And then it shuold be finished... maybe :rolleyes:

Cheers
Fred

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Quick q: Will LV attitude be able to be controlled through TVC? The original multistage(2).dll only supported attitude control through invisible dummy RCS thrusters but control for most stages excluding upper stages is through TVC.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Fred with your MS2015,will you be able to attach things to stages,and boosters such as parachutes?

Well, by default jettisoned stages or boosters use the stage.dll module. But, as in Vinka's, the module can be chosen via the .ini file. So addon developers can develop as much as they want for parachutes etc. This won't be part of MS2015 anyway, but free for the addon developers.

Quick q: Will LV attitude be able to be controlled through TVC? The original multistage(2).dll only supported attitude control through invisible dummy RCS thrusters but control for most stages excluding upper stages is through TVC.

I gave a thought about this at the beginning, but here's my point:
- To obtain the required torque on the launch vehicle usually only decimals of degree of engine gimbaling is needed
- such a small variation is barely noticeable while looking at it in orbiter
- if, for magnifying the effect, exhaust variation of direction should have been exagerated it would have become a mess and at that point also nozzles shall have been rotated accordingly, but for a general model as multistage it becomes really difficult
- it's not even always needed since also in reality TVC is not always used

so I decided to use invisible thrusters as well, but I think result is satisfactory anyway.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
So... I'm almost there I would say...

Monitor screen is completed, who wants to have a seat in the MCC? ;)

15.09.24 00-14-22 SLS.jpg

Ullage engines are now supported, I'll give details in the documentations but basically any configuration of ullage is possible with the proper combination of parameters

15.09.24 00-21-51 SLS.jpg

Vertical Angle at launch is supported:

15.09.24 00-25-58 Delta325.jpg

Engineout call has been added to the Guidance Program, it is also possible to choose which engine is wanted to shut down

15.09.24 00-30-18 SLS.jpg

There's not much left to do finally (a part from a massive code clean up :rolleyes:)

I'll prepare a brief document that will sum up all the new functionalities and how to exploit them in a schematic way and I'll publish the module and the mfd here with that doc while I'll write the full documentation (that will take a while since there's a lot of things to describe and some examples to prepare) so in the meantime I can correct bugs that will come up from the users.

:cheers:

Fred

Michael_Chr

Reaction score
wow Fred...Impressive...
I can see in the MFD screenshot that the algorithm that you employ does the pitch adjustment in a continuous way instead of stepped that we have been used to using Launch MFD. This precise pitch navigation will most likely lead to a slightly better performance on the same vehicle - right?
So...Just to make sure I understand it totally - the algorithm will take all stages (incl. boosters...perhaps even with separate performances) into account from ignition until all the desired orbit parameters(Inc PEA, APA) has been obtained - no matter how you define your performance? (I guess the planned trajectory are the dimmed lines in the MFD).
Out of curiousity...How will the code handle if you dont have the performance to reach the desired parameters? Will that case be plotted in the graphs as well.
So I guess we can also conclude that in the process you have also created the ultimate planning tool as well :) (I have tried to do it in excel but never been able to get it totally right).
Lastly - If at all possible - please include references etc. in the documentation (like the case with the algorithms - so those of us with interest in it can dig deeper into the mysteries behind it...lol.
Well again... A truly remarkable addon... WELL DONE!

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Oustanding work.
This opens a whole new life to FOI rockets.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
wow Fred...Impressive...
I can see in the MFD screenshot that the algorithm that you employ does the pitch adjustment in a continuous way instead of stepped that we have been used to using Launch MFD. This precise pitch navigation will most likely lead to a slightly better performance on the same vehicle - right?
So...Just to make sure I understand it totally - the algorithm will take all stages (incl. boosters...perhaps even with separate performances) into account from ignition until all the desired orbit parameters(Inc PEA, APA) has been obtained - no matter how you define your performance? (I guess the planned trajectory are the dimmed lines in the MFD).
Out of curiousity...How will the code handle if you dont have the performance to reach the desired parameters? Will that case be plotted in the graphs as well.
So I guess we can also conclude that in the process you have also created the ultimate planning tool as well :) (I have tried to do it in excel but never been able to get it totally right).
Lastly - If at all possible - please include references etc. in the documentation (like the case with the algorithms - so those of us with interest in it can dig deeper into the mysteries behind it...lol.
Well again... A truly remarkable addon... WELL DONE!

All right, this are very proper points, so let me answer properly :)

First: just for the sake of clarity the MFD is only a repeater, the data are all stored in the guidance computer of the multistage module. MFD can interact but anything that is substantial is made autonomously by the guidance computer of the module.

Relevant to pitch control: yes it is controlled continuosly, but not only pitch, all three axes are controlled: pitch from the algorithm, roll for the proper attitude and yaw for the proper course to get the desired inclination.
The algorithm of the "orbit" program of the guidance computer works like these:
first the roll program is performed and the roll program will leave the rocket in the proper attitude, with the proper azimuth and with the pitch angle at which the gravity turn must be started.
Then, up to 35km the open loop gravity turn is performed, as in reality
At 35km of altitude the PEG algorithm start to work. Its major cycle has by default an interval of 0.1 seconds (for apollo was 10 seconds...), but I think I will make it modifiable by the MFD if the user wants to change this.
Between one interval and the other the pitch is calculated as a linear variation of the parameters and the time, but relevant to this I will attach also the original NASA document relevant to PEG and I will give much more details in the full documentation. The estimation cycle of PEG has been a bit revisited and is based on DeltaV prediction that can be made quite exactly in orbiter. Please note that since the frequency is 10Hz, linear estimation is done only for 1 tenth of seconds, 10% of the overall time.

Note the altitude of 35km can be changed via the MFD and anyway it is a value fixed for earth (it seems a very good value). With other planets the altitude steps for guidance programs are scaled on planet's mass.

a particular attention has been paid to the gravity turn: when the scenario opens up the guidance computer of the ms2015 module takes all the parameters and tries to simulate the gravity turn until he found the minimum pitch value that leads the rocket to have an altitude of at least 35 km from which the PEG algorithm will take over. It then adds a 5% just for safety (if the rocket does not reach 35 km PEG will never start and the gravity turn will lead the rocket to crash back on earth at full thrust). BUT the computational evaluation of gravity turn is good but not perfect. It cannot know if for example engines are being throttled down for maxQ reasons, and each step is so dependent on the other that even if the results are quite good they cannot be taken as gold, also because actually the best conditions at which the rocket is left at 35km depends also on the final orbit we want to achieve: for a low orbit of 160x160 km we will want to be at 35km almost horizontal for maximum tangential acceleration. For an high orbit of 300x300 km we will want to be at 35km still pointing up and gaining some more vertical speed to get to 300km. Therefore the value computational calculated is a "suggested" value, but the user, in the orbit call of the guidance program can modify this at his pleasure, in order to find the optimal value. I've made hundreds of tests about this, but since all the rockets are different and the firing sequences are different it cannot be made completely closed to the user inputs, and by specifying which is the "suggested" value the user can have an idea of which value shall be used for that particular orbit. If the user does not input anything the guidance computer will use the suggested value.

At last: planning. I'm sorry to let you down here, but actually there is not a planning tool. I've tried it but it's always too inaccurate to be used.

For this please note an important thing: guidance computer is not following a preplanned set of pitches, it calculates in realtime the optimal pitch angle for reaching the desired orbit! So the reference performance is just for user reference, to see if the calculation is leading to something strange or is in line with what it should be!

Therefore with the reference telemetry I did something waaayyy simpler than a planning tool: I just implemented save and load! you have the possibility to save the telemetry of every flight and load it back in the computer next time in order to use it as visual reference (the dimmed lines).

I know it would have been amazing to have a complete prediction tool, but it's way overcomplicated for this kind of job. And my thought was also another one: if you're developing an addon and you publish this addon you can simply add also the telemetry file, so users will have a reference for the mission, to follow and evaluate.

Also the telemetry file is a simple txt file with comma separated values, so it's easy to load into an excel spreadsheet and analyze it at your wish!

I will add to the documentation the two big math documents, one about PEG and the other about Computation Evaluation of Gravity Turn and I will explain more in details the processes as Technotes.

I hope to have been clear enough, if not please ask, it is a pleasure to answer. This is really the core of the entire job in my opinion, I had fun doing it and it will be fun to discuss it!

Cheers :cheers:

Fred

Last edited:

crisbeta

Reaction score
First of all I want to thank you for all your work on this excellent add-on. I have a small question about this add-on and some suggestions for later improvements.

Questions:
- hidden RCS used for roll, pitch and yaw consumes fuel from main tank? (Vinka's hidden rcs seems not to use any fuel or huge ISP)

Nice to have (medium):
- CrossSections are based on cylinder with Height and Diameter; but in many add-ons it's not taken in consideration the use of booster (actually I'm not sure that there is an add-on that takes this in consideration); is there any possibility that when are booster attached to add their CrossSections to main stage and at separation to use main stage default CrossSections?

Nice to have (low):
- RCS tank for RCS thrusters; no fuel remained -> no RCS available
- RCS ISP user defined (SpaceX use cold gas thrusters with only 70s specific impulse)
- ISP sea level user defined; you obtain ISP vacuum from BurnTime * Thrust / (FuelMass * 9.8066); instead of using ISP vacuum you could use an ISP based on ISP(sl) and ISP(vac)

Thank you!

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hi fred18,I have a question,will you able to assign sound files to steps of the launch using the autopilot instead of a guidance file also?

Last edited:

Michael_Chr

Reaction score
Hi Fred.
Thank you for your very deep explanation of the inner workings of MS2015. As you can imagine it takes some time to grasp and comprehend so condensed information and what the implications are. So let me see if I understand it correct. The guidance computer separates the launch into three phases:
  • Rollprogram (until desired roll >yaw; pitch values are obtained) then
  • Open loop gravity turn (that ends when the trajectory intersects 35 KM alt) then
  • PEG algorithm to the desired obit parameters.
So…Roll program. I guess that’s quite “simple”. You calculate the desired track based on user requested inclination and thus obtain the heading and let the AP roll the vehicle until the actual hdg equals desired hdg . I guess you hold the picth close to vertical whilst rol program is running and keep yaw nulled at the same time.
Considering the Open loop Gravity turn:
when the scenario opens up the guidance computer of the ms2015 module takes all the parameters and tries to simulate the gravity turn
"All parameters"…Does this take into account boosters as well as early staging if that occurs prior to 35 KM alt…Or put in another way... Does the guidance computer operate a timeline of staging events during gravity turn or do you “assume” the thrust and mass (minus expended fuel off course :thumbup:) is the same during gravity turn. I guess it is important to understand this if you need to “tweak” parameters.
You also write:
For a low orbit of 160x160 km we will want to be at 35km almost horizontal for maximum tangential acceleration. For an high orbit of 300x300 km we will want to be at 35km still pointing up and gaining some more vertical speed to get to 300km
and…
Therefore the value computational calculated is a "suggested" value, but the user, in the orbit call of the guidance program can modify this at his pleasure, in order to find the optimal value
Does this mean that the gravity turn pitch attitude end state is determined only by the user inserted orbit parameters (PEA, APA) or is there an additional user parameter (s) whereby you tweak this pitch end state? I believe that the pitch state at PEG takeover is important in order to have a smooth pitch curve all the way up – else the PEG would have to pitch (violently?) up or down at take over time to meet desired orbital parameters.

Another Q and comment:
Do you somewhere in your stack have a computed value for the “time to orbit insertion” or “time to MECO” available prior to ignition can you display this in the MFD? Likewise based on this timing computation is it possible to calculate and display the propellant state of the final stage at MECO.
The Time to MECO would be very useful in relation to Launch MFD because you can use this to determine an optimal launch time to reach a desired LAN (Assuming that MS2015 does not take LAN into account – perhaps an idea for future expansion?).
For the propellant state it off course goes to either offload fuel or determine what is left of e TLI etc.

Finally…IMHO one of the problems with almost all “launch auto pilots” (LaunchMFD, Velcro and MS”classic”) is if you have a weaker upper stage. Then you need to “aim higher” to allow for significant gravity loss until orbital velocity is reached – which might occur at a lower altitude than the highest point of the entire launch trajectory. Does the PEG allow for these type of trajectory. Today I always use Launch MFD but with multistaged vehicles (Current vehicle I use has three stages and a 4+2 boosters) I always use the manual pitch program(user define by table) and then go by trial and error until a satisfactory launch trajectory is obtained and thus repeatable. It still seems that MS2015 provide more advanced tool although some trial and error loop is still required (which is OK because you learn a lot from this:lol:).

Thanks for taking the time… If you hadn’t wrote that its OK to ask I wouldn’t dare taking your time away for finishing this project :)
Best regards
Michael

Enjo

Mostly harmless
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.enderspace.de
Preferred Pronouns
Can't you smell my T levels?
Finally…IMHO one of the problems with almost all “launch auto pilots” (LaunchMFD, Velcro and MS”classic”) is if you have a weaker upper stage. Then you need to “aim higher” to allow for significant gravity loss until orbital velocity is reached (...)

Obviously, since they don't use Multistage PEG. Having Fred18 playing nicely by the GPL rules, as Face asked him, therefore releasing the current source code together with the binaries, almost guarantees you that at some point the "launch auto pilots" will be able to do the same, along with the features that they already have, for example displaying the flight director on the HUD.

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for everyone comments! Let me see if I can answer to everybody!

Questions:
- hidden RCS used for roll, pitch and yaw consumes fuel from main tank? (Vinka's hidden rcs seems not to use any fuel or huge ISP)

they are connected to the main tank but with huge Isp in order not to consume fuel, my guess is that also vinka did the same but I never checked.

Nice to have (medium):
- CrossSections are based on cylinder with Height and Diameter; but in many add-ons it's not taken in consideration the use of booster (actually I'm not sure that there is an add-on that takes this in consideration); is there any possibility that when are booster attached to add their CrossSections to main stage and at separation to use main stage default CrossSections?
It is already like that :thumbup:
I have to say that, compared to vinka, atmospheric flight is a bit different and I get a bit less drag. For this release I implemented the basic anyway which is consistent with Vinka's one (tested with two rockets side by side) and I'm leaving further improvements for future releases. Anyway side boosters are already added to the cross section!

Nice to have (low):
- RCS tank for RCS thrusters; no fuel remained -> no RCS available
- RCS ISP user defined (SpaceX use cold gas thrusters with only 70s specific impulse)
- ISP sea level user defined; you obtain ISP vacuum from BurnTime * Thrust / (FuelMass * 9.8066); instead of using ISP vacuum you could use an ISP based on ISP(sl) and ISP(vac)

I see this a bit differently: the fact that if fuel finishes no attitude control is possible seems to me consistent with the reality: for example for rockets with Thrust Vectoring if fuel is zero then attitude control is zero. And even for the others, since there is no translational RCS what would be the use of the RCS if the fuel of a stage is over?
At last: since user will define burn time and thrust, ISP will be a result of an exact calculation. If the user inputs ISP then burntime will be a result. The combination should be taken into account by the user in the definition of the burn time, so instead of defining and ISP based on ISP sl and ISP vac the burntime could take the difference in account. Anyway the input of ISP instead of burntime it's a proper point, but if I make a change of this kind retrocompatibility with old multistage2 configs will not be mantained. To be studied.

Hi fred18,I have a question,will you able to assign sound files to steps of the launch using the autopilot instead of a guidance file also?

For the time being no: only guidance steps with numerical parameters are accepted, no "disable(jettison)" or "playsound" can be added via the MFD at the moment. I'll see if it's easy to add them but I think it's not that easy.

Hi Fred.
Thank you for your very deep explanation of the inner workings of MS2015. As you can imagine it takes some time to grasp and comprehend so condensed information and what the implications are. So let me see if I understand it correct. The guidance computer separates the launch into three phases:
  • Rollprogram (until desired roll >yaw; pitch values are obtained) then
  • Open loop gravity turn (that ends when the trajectory intersects 35 KM alt) then
  • PEG algorithm to the desired obit parameters.
So…Roll program. I guess that’s quite “simple”. You calculate the desired track based on user requested inclination and thus obtain the heading and let the AP roll the vehicle until the actual hdg equals desired hdg . I guess you hold the picth close to vertical whilst rol program is running and keep yaw nulled at the same time.

the list is correct, the roll program not exactly: the guidance program always points a vector in space and keeps the roll nulled at the desired value. For MS2015 roll program the vehicle points the direction of launch azimuth and the pitch of the initial gravity turn using pitch and yaw and in the meantime rolls the vehicle upright or upside down depending on the mode desired.

Note: the desired attitude (upright or upside down) is obtained with the formula:
Code:
roll=0.5*(1-VinkaMode)*PI
which leads to 0 if VinkaMode is 1 and to PI if VinkaMode is -1. But it also leave the way open to particular interpretation, for example if you input mode -2 roll will be 3/2*PI and you'll fly the full flight banked 90* on a side!

Considering the Open loop Gravity turn:
"All parameters"…Does this take into account boosters as well as early staging if that occurs prior to 35 KM alt…Or put in another way... Does the guidance computer operate a timeline of staging events during gravity turn or do you “assume” the thrust and mass (minus expended fuel off course :thumbup:) is the same during gravity turn. I guess it is important to understand this if you need to “tweak” parameters.
You also write: and…
Does this mean that the gravity turn pitch attitude end state is determined only by the user inserted orbit parameters (PEA, APA) or is there an additional user parameter (s) whereby you tweak this pitch end state? I believe that the pitch state at PEG takeover is important in order to have a smooth pitch curve all the way up – else the PEG would have to pitch (violently?) up or down at take over time to meet desired orbital parameters.

Computational Evaluation of Gravity Turn takes into account the complete process of the rocket: booster jettison, fuel consumed etc. and it's built to determine the smallest pitch angle (plus 5% safety) that will lead the rocket to at least 35km.

I take the chance to anticipate the explanation of the "orbit" call parameters of the guidance program, so you will have a more clear vision. This is the structure of the call:
Time=orbit(PeA, ApA,target Inclination, Mode, Gravity Turn Initial Pitch, Target Abside)

example:

-10=orbit(180,220,-45,1,76,0)

the time is negative because calling this in a negative time can be used to set the initial countdown.

PeA=perigee altitude in km
ApA=apogee altitude in km
target inc=target inclination in degrees: - for launching southward, + for launching northward
Vinka Mode=1 for upright flight, -1 for upside down flight
Gravity turn initial pitch= the initial pitch with will give the start to the gravity turn
Target Abside= the target altitude at which we want to have the cutoff (useful for shuttle like vehicles, will explain why)

The only two absolutely mandatory parameters are target PeA and target ApA, for the rest if not specified a default will be assumed, let's see what:

-10=orbit(180,220)

will produce a launch with azimuth 90* and inclination obviously equal to launch latitude
VinkaMode will be 1 by default
Gravity turn initial pitch: the value calculated by the computational calculation will be used
target abside: if perigee is outside the atmosphere it will be used, otherwise the apogee will be used.

Please note that the calculated gravity turn initial pitch will be displayed as reference in both MFD and in orbiter.log file, so user will have a reference if the default value does not satisfy him.

Example: you want to launch to a low altitude orbit but the default Gravity Turn initial Pitch leads you to still have a high pitch at 35 km when the peg takes over and an abnormal pitch manouver takes place? then lower the value a bit for the next round until you see a smooth transition

Another Q and comment:
Do you somewhere in your stack have a computed value for the “time to orbit insertion” or “time to MECO” available prior to ignition can you display this in the MFD? Likewise based on this timing computation is it possible to calculate and display the propellant state of the final stage at MECO.
The Time to MECO would be very useful in relation to Launch MFD because you can use this to determine an optimal launch time to reach a desired LAN (Assuming that MS2015 does not take LAN into account – perhaps an idea for future expansion?).
For the propellant state it off course goes to either offload fuel or determine what is left of e TLI etc.
Predicted MECO is shown from the instant that PEG takes over in the MFD and in the HUD. I can add also a simple calculation to show it when still on ground.

Finally…IMHO one of the problems with almost all “launch auto pilots” (LaunchMFD, Velcro and MS”classic”) is if you have a weaker upper stage. Then you need to “aim higher” to allow for significant gravity loss until orbital velocity is reached – which might occur at a lower altitude than the highest point of the entire launch trajectory. Does the PEG allow for these type of trajectory. Today I always use Launch MFD but with multistaged vehicles (Current vehicle I use has three stages and a 4+2 boosters) I always use the manual pitch program(user define by table) and then go by trial and error until a satisfactory launch trajectory is obtained and thus repeatable. It still seems that MS2015 provide more advanced tool although some trial and error loop is still required (which is OK because you learn a lot from this:lol:).

Multistage PEG works and consider the real and current characteristics of the vehicle, therefore it aims higher from the beginning of the flight if the last stage is over. Since the alghorithm works for multistages vechicle there is basically no transition during staging, the guidance computer uses the best values taking already in consideration all the following stages parameters. It is done exactly to avoid hours of trials and error on pitch tables. The only trial and error can be the gravity turn initial pitch if the automatically computed value seems not satisfactory.

I hope to have given you a more clear vision of the points!
let me know if you need anything else
Cheers! :cheers:
Fred

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Fred will the autopilot make a very precise plane alignment with the targeted object?

It makes a very precise alignment with the targeted inclination. It does not aim for a specific object, it aims for an inclination (as happens in reality) and it gets to that inclination very precisely thanks to the continuos yaw control