Project Multistage2015 - Development Thread

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
That looks very cool,will the crawler work too? or is it just scenery?:thumbup:

I'm coding it right now to make it work. It will just take the rockets and move it around and eventually drop it somewhere or let it takeoff. I'm a bit puzzled on how to make a "car" working, I have to think about it.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can help on the "car" part. Done lots of land vehicles.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I can help on the "car" part. Done lots of land vehicles.

What method do you use? regular engines or you move it by calling SetDefaultState ? I'm a bit worried to do it with the new touchdown points

Interceptor

Reaction score
Hey fred18 you might want to look on FOI,fausto says he has a crawler to fit your rockets.

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Oh for 2016? Well I am trying to figure that out also:). Basically for motion you can rcs or like the ler and others I use main thrust for forward and then rcs for turns

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Still in progress.

It's not perfect yet, I don't know if it will get better than this, but it seems not bad too me.

[ame="http://youtu.be/HNlUvhDG9l4"]http://youtu.be/HNlUvhDG9l4[/ame]

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How the animation looker great. How did you get the touchdown point to work.

I also want to know how you go the thread to rotate

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
It's a long list od animation components! Great works again!

I think it's all moving and rotate, repeated for many bars that follow one another like train wagons.. is it correct?
Do you want to apply textures to your crawler?

Last edited:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Touchdown points are a bit complicated in the new version of orbiter, but I'm not using them much here: I'm pretty much moving this thing around by saving and reloading continously it's state. It's quite messy with the official release because I have to save the state to a hidden file and restore it, while with the SVN one this is no longer needed because clbkGetStateEx and clbkSetDefStateEx works perfectly there.

anyway yes: it's (awfully huge) combination of animations for each piece.. it's 64 pieces each, doing 8 animations each times 8 girdles in the crawler. I manage to build the animations with pretty much a series of "for.." cycles, but still the groups have to be picked and noted one by one, and that's very boring to do.

The upper part of the crawler is already (lightly) textured. Maybe other textures would have been nice for the rest of the machine but i'm scared of changing the mesh because I don't want to change the group numbers, since I'm picking up 64x8=512 group numbers by hand :shifty:

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
The upper part of the crawler is already (lightly) textured. Maybe other textures would have been nice for the rest of the machine but i'm scared of changing the mesh because I don't want to change the group numbers, since I'm picking up 64x8=512 group numbers by hand :shifty:

I can understand you:tiphat:

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi fred18.

This might be of concern to Multistage2016:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=37474

See the fix by Mythos on Enjo's bug report.

I haven't experienced it yet, I think that's because MS2015 use its own autopilot, not the default ones (like PROGRADE,RETROGRADE etc).

Anyway I have to say that most of the development has been in the last weeks about the rocket on the ground... so if there is a bug of this type it's quite possible that it passed unnoticed by me.

Also, would love to beta test for you again.

Please! you are more than welcome to do it!

At the following link you can get the module. It's basically a release candidate (only dll and config by now, i'll update the docs and the rest once i'm done), since I am working on hangar and crawler in this days which are not strictly related to the rocket iself.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=541342&postcount=457

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
0016.jpg

Crawler now capable of getting below the platform (it's a remodel of the real one), grab it, raise it and get it to the hangar, where you can see the SLS (it was my old design) waiting, attached to the (completely working) bridge crane.

When the platform will be close enough, the crane will lift the rocket, take it close to the door and the crawler will get underneath it. Then the crane will place the rocket on the platform, the crawler will take everything to the launching site, will lower itself leaving the platform with the rocket there and then drive away so the rocket will be able to liftoff. I'm almost done with the coding of all this, that's what I'm working on, after that is finished I'll complete the documentation and release everything. of course the hangar can be placed anywhere in the world, the one in the picture is just a quick location.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Wait, is the crawler/hanger a separate add-on, or is this going to be part of multistage?

Or it is only for the included SLS?

If multistage is to stay general, not all scenarios are going to need it or want it.