Question Mobile phone choice.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Has anybody tried a Windows 8 phone? I was thinking about getting one. I wonder if orbiter will run on it? :p

The phones run Windows Phone 8 (not "Windows 8").
I've got myself a Nokia Lumia 620 (after a case of, ehm, "accidental unspontaneous disassembly" on the part of my previous phone).
Was a bit skeptical at first, but I like it: it's really snappy, no lag whatsoever regardless of what one is doing, and has a nice integration with Windows 8.

The operating system is quite different from Windows 8: they only share the kernel, but the phones run ARM processors, while "regular" notebooks and many tablets with Windows 8 run x86 processors.
(And Windows RT tablets run a version of Windows 8 modified to run on ARM processors: they also can't run normal x86 applications.)
So no Orbiter there. :)

Regarding lack of applications...I miss a Spiegel Online / Tagesschau app like those that are available on Android, but most of those that might be important are available.
Also there's no official Dropbox app, but plenty of good third party alternatives.

RacerX

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Well the fact that it is a ARM processor is enough to turn me away. I know orbiter wont run on it. So I guess its S3 or S4 for me
After googling they are working on x86 smartphones. I think Ill wait till then and just keep the POS i have now

Last edited:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
You have to keep in mind that 99% of all tablets and smartphones currently available run a processor with ARM architecture: all of the iThings, all Windows Phones, all devices of Samsung's Galaxy line, everything really, with the exception being the few Windows 8 (again, NOT Windows RT) tablets on the market now.

And even if they were running an x86 processor, like the next Galaxy Tab shold, if the device is running Android it won't be possible to just change OS like on a "traditional" PC.

Last edited:

vips

Reaction score
My Motorola VS3688 is getting a bit dodgy now(battery life), and things have moved on a bit since the mid 90's...

Looking at all the shiny new smartphones in the shops, and wondering if I need all those features?
Prices vary from £20 to £400 in the UK, I'll probably end up in the bottom third.

Anyone have any strong views or experiences on the current choice?

N.
Try HTC phone, they are good and may fulfill your all requirements.