Missles over newfoundland?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It doesn't look like a meteor on the first glance, it has actually all features what you would expect from a liquid propellant rocket. But there is also the problem, there are not so many liquid propellant rockets... aside of the Russian SS-N-23 "Skiff" missiles.

Which also seem to have some similarities to the photograph:

I can't access a free NAVTEX decoder currently, does somebody else have more luck for finding any indications of an official rocket launch there?

EDIT: It also wasn't launched from Wallops Island: http://sched.wff.nasa.gov/wffsched/

Last edited:

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
They're telling us about every launch, and there was nothing yesterday. But there was a launch of french M51 missile.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Its target was '2000 km off South Carolina' according to Wiki. Is there possible trajectory between northwest France and eastern part of USA that is visible from Newfoundland?

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Looking odd, a rocket's exhaust is supposed to be brighter at the tip and dimmer at the tail end. And this is just reverse.

---------- Post added at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was at 00:53 ----------

Its target was '2000 km off South Carolina' according to Wiki. Is there possible trajectory between northwest France and eastern part of USA that is visible from Newfoundland?

Not at the boost phase of flight.

I'm afarid it might be a NATO secret test, in which case no one will reveal the truth.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Oh, haven't thinked about that...

I know nothing about ballistic missiles. Does they have some visible effects during reentry? (They have to go through reentry, right?)

Yes, reentry heating, they have low drag aerodynamics and thus glow white and bright. This one is different.

SiberianTiger: The darker half seems to be the missile body. The lighter flames look pretty right to me, you even see hints on Mach diamonds inside it.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I've changed my mind. It now looks very much like a daytime bolide (a slow chondrite) or a reentering space debris to me:

sikhotefall.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Like this?
srvr

Comparing both photographs, the Canada object doesn't really look like a bolide, The smoke trail is missing, and if it would be caused by fragmentation, the different flame contrails would not converge.

Last edited:

lennartsmit

Reaction score
Does somebody know if there is a NORAD tracking or report of this? Or is Newfoundland out of range?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, okay. You can expect Russian submarines to appear in the most unexpected places, like in Venice; Next up, a surprise SLBM firing from the middle of the Potomac river! :rofl:

well, I don't say that it is extremely realistic - but is it impossible? It doesn't look like a bolide, since many typical elements of it are missing. If it isn't fired from a Russian submarine - what else could have launched it as rocket? If it is a Bolide, where did it impact?

Also, there is a second aspect which makes a bolide unlikely - it would have to be photographed right after a fragmentation for having the parts so close, but at the same time, such fragmentations come with a increase in brightness and often tiny detonations.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Why did it have to be a ballistic missile? Could it be a cruise missile instead?

With such large exhaust flames??? The flames are about as long as the missile body.

PeterRoss

Warranty man
Reaction score
Website
vk.com
Yes, reentry heating, they have low drag aerodynamics and thus glow white and bright. This one is different.

One more silly question from me. Article says that 'Darlene Stewart said she was outside taking pictures of the sunset...'
Can't the 'flame' be just a reflection of sunset light from white and bright smoke trail?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Can't the 'flame' be just a reflection of sunset light from white and bright smoke trail?

No smoke trail. The object it self glows. The heat shield on a modern ICBM is capacitive, not ablative. It makes no sense to waste a tiny bit of extra energy. ;)

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Was there no warning to civilian airlines about a missile test? AFAIK, Newfoundland has quite a busy airspace, with many aircraft between Europe and the US east coast passing over it.

BTW, France does have a small piece of territory near the Canadian coast.

fresh squid

Reaction score
Was there no warning to civilian airlines about a missile test? AFAIK, Newfoundland has quite a busy airspace, with many aircraft between Europe and the US east coast passing over it.

BTW, France does have a small piece of territory near the Canadian coast.

It think thats our best answer right now. I think they have launched missiles from there before.