Project Lunar Module "Spider" (Updated 11/01/2012)

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Wow. Have you ever released any vessel addons before? The detail is amazing!

I've released afew minor projects but nothing this complex. See my earlier comments about being prone to vapor-ware.

In other news...

I've been redoing the descent stage mesh and have to ask what do you guys consider a "reasonable" vertex count.

I got a little carried away with subsurf and other modifiers and the mesh is now close to 15,000 verts (comparable to the stock Atlantis). It could easily end up at twice that if I start applying the same amount of detail to the body as I have to the landing gear.

By comparison the Ascent Stage is a modest 8900 verts.

picture.php

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Still working on the descent stage. I've got a first draft of the textures and working on getting the vert-count down.

picture.php

and yes...

the Delta Glider is named Gumdrop.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
This project is very much alive, I just I have very little to show for the hours put in.

The VC's code was a complete mess and as such I've spent the last week tearing it down and rebuilding.

My laptop is my test machine and while it maintains 30 fps in exterior or glass cockpit views this drops into single digits in the VC. Are there any rules of thumb for optimising VCs that someone cares to share because I'm learning as I go here.

picture.php

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This project is very much alive, I just I have very little to show for the hours put in.

The VC's code was a complete mess and as such I've spent the last week tearing it down and rebuilding.

My laptop is my test machine and while it maintains 30 fps in exterior or glass cockpit views this drops into single digits in the VC. Are there any rules of thumb for optimising VCs that someone cares to share because I'm learning as I go here.

picture.php

Well, I dont know a ton about modelling, but I think youd need to bypass faces hidden to the VC viewpoint, getting rid of some unneeded vertices. When you are finished, can you make sure to release the source? I would really like to see how you did some of the VC displays. looking goood :thumbup:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Well, I dont know a ton about modelling, but I think youd need to bypass faces hidden to the VC viewpoint, getting rid of some unneeded vertices. When you are finished, can you make sure to release the source? I would really like to see how you did some of the VC displays. looking goood :thumbup:

Already done, but I don't think the mesh is the problem.

It's the VC's displays (redraw events) that seem to be devouring the majority of my memory/runtime.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

You might find the following threads helpful

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28072
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28572

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Already done, but I don't think the mesh is the problem.

It's the VC's displays (redraw events) that seem to be devouring the majority of my memory/runtime.

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:51 PM ----------

You might find the following threads helpful

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28072
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=28572

Thats odd. You might want to get a more experienced sexond opinion on whether that is the problem. My only suggestions wpuld be to consider the font youre using, and/or the refresh/Accuracy of the displays

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Progress Update:

So I've torn apart and rebult the cockpit 3 times now and I'm finally feeling like I have something that'll work.

Apologies to 4throck but the Textures in conjunction with Dynamic Redraw events were killing my system memory. So I ended up generating my own optimized panel texture.

I appreciate your efforts and a low res version is still being used for the Exterior meshes interior. If you still want to contribute, I still need textures for the cabin floor, walls, ceiling, etc...

Likwise the exterior also needs to be "painted".

---------- Post added 08-07-12 at 05:48 PM ---------- Previous post was 08-06-12 at 09:33 PM ----------

It's tuesday and I had hoped to release at least a Beta today but re-building the VC killed that plan. On the bright I'm back to where I was at before I tore everything apart an frame rates remain solid!

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Apologies to 4throck but the Textures in conjunction with Dynamic Redraw events were killing my system memory. So I ended up generating my own optimized panel texture.

Whatever works. Perhaps in the future you can find another way to program the cockpit that will allow for large textures. I guess (from a noob viewpoint) that if you made your vc transparent, my textures could simply be part of the mesh (static).

But I'm happy to have contributed. :cheers:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Progress Report:

The VC is coming together. There are switches to click on and a HUD to look through.

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

nothing actually happens when you click on 'em but there they are. :p

The ADI works after fashion but is stuck showing global orientation and thus kind of useless. I want to at least get it showing orbital vector before I unleash this thing on unwitting Orbinauts. The problem is the same issue that I had with the autopilots. My axis of thrust (and as such my frame of reference for orbital manuevers) is oriented along the Y axis and not the Z and decomposing and then recomposing multiple rotation matrices is a real PITA.

All the gauges work but you can't tell because aside from "Throttle Setting" all the values are set to 0.

If anybody has any information (preferably in the form of equations) on how to calculate things like engine temprature, fuel pressure, Oxygen consumption, CO2 levels, etc... please share.

Finally I've also hit a bit of feature shock. a lot of the major work is done and now it's time to start hashing out details.

I envission the final level of detail somewhere around the level of the Stock atlantis and and the XR-1 but what do you guys, the end users want to see?

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The VC is coming together. There are switches to click on and a HUD to look through.

picture.php

View image in gallery

picture.php

View image in gallery

nothing actually happens when you click on 'em but there they are. :p

The ADI works after fashion but is stuck showing global orientation and thus kind of useless. I want to at least get it showing orbital vector before I unleash this thing on unwitting Orbinauts. The problem is the same issue that I had with the autopilots. My axis of thrust (and as such my frame of reference for orbital manuevers) is oriented along the Y axis and not the Z and decomposing and then recomposing multiple rotation matrices is a real PITA.

All the gauges work but you can't tell because aside from "Throttle Setting" all the values are set to 0.

If anybody has any information (preferably in the form of equations) on how to calculate things like engine temprature, fuel pressure, Oxygen consumption, CO2 levels, etc... please share.

Finally I've also hit a bit of feature shock. a lot of the major work is done and now it's time to start hashing out details.

I envission the final level of detail somewhere around the level of the Stock atlantis and and the XR-1 but what do you guys, the end users want to see?

Is UCGO support planned? I wouldnt mind a simple fuel cell implementation like the DGIV

Oh, and by the way, I read a great deal about the Apollo program, and I know a detail that might make a lot of sense to add. There was a contact light inside the original LEM that lit up when the probes on the ends of the legs hit lunar dirt. When the LEM pilot saw that light up, he hit the engine shutdown light, and let the machine fall the rest of the way to the surface, so as to avoid the lunar dust kicked back by the descent engine from raising the pressure inside it & causing an explosion. Even If you dont want to include destruction sequences, you could at least include a light that activates below a particular altitude, and when landed

---------- Post added at 03:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 AM ----------

I know this isnt really the place, but I was wondering if you could help me track down a 2dpanel glitch. Im trying to implement 2d panels from the tutorial that Jedida reccomended to you in your cockpit redraw events post, but the compiler is giving me headaches

DLLCLBK void InitModule (HINSTANCE hModule)
{
g_hDLL = hModule;
hFont = CreateFont (-20, 3, 0, 0, 150, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, 0, "Haettenschweiler");
hPen = CreatePen (PS_SOLID, 3, RGB (120,220,120));
hBrush = CreateSolidBrush (RGB(0,128,0));
ShuttleD::panel2dtex = oapiLoadTexture (“ShuttleD\\MainPanel.dds”);

For some reason, the compiler is saying that ShuttleD (as in the file directory, where the texture is located) is undefined. That doesnt make sense does it?

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Is UCGO support planned? I wouldnt mind a simple fuel cell implementation like the DGIV

Oh, and by the way, I read a great deal about the Apollo program, and I know a detail that might make a lot of sense to add. There was a contact light inside the original LEM that lit up when the probes on the ends of the legs hit lunar dirt. When the LEM pilot saw that light up, he hit the engine shutdown light, and let the machine fall the rest of the way to the surface, so as to avoid the lunar dust kicked back by the descent engine from raising the pressure inside it & causing an explosion. Even If you dont want to include destruction sequences, you could at least include a light that activates below a particular altitude, and when landed

UMMU is already supported UCGO not at the moment simply because there's nowhere to safely stash a 1.3 meter cube on the LEM unless I tie it to the roof.

However if you look at one the links in the first post of this thread you'll see a bunch of "lunar module derivatives". Once the basic lunar lander is done I plan to go back and model these as well. The lunar cargo lander (AKA LM Truck) would definitely have UCGO slots to spare. ;)

As for the contact light, it's already there. It is the blue circle in the upper right corner of panel 3.

Last edited:

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
How's progress so far?

See above.

The exterior is done and just waiting on coat of paint (textures). The interior is a work in progress.

As it stands all major "Orbiter" systems are installed. Thrusters, propellant tanks, MFD, docking port, etc all work.

Descent Stage seperation sequence is complete.

UMMU support is in but needs to be debugged.

FADI works but only in OFF and OGO (Orbiter global orientation) modes.

LCD Numerical displays all work

Tape gauges all work but have nothing to display because things like engine temp, cabin pressure, and O2 quantity haven't been modeled yet.

Other than that it's a mess.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
See above.

The exterior is done and just waiting on coat of paint (textures). The interior is a work in progress.

As it stands all major "Orbiter" systems are installed. Thrusters, propellant tanks, MFD, docking port, etc all work.

Descent Stage seperation sequence is complete.

UMMU support is in but needs to be debugged.

FADI works but only in OFF and OGO (Orbiter global orientation) modes.

LCD Numerical displays all work

Tape gauges all work but have nothing to display because things like engine temp, cabin pressure, and O2 quantity haven't been modeled yet.

Other than that it's a mess.

Is the UMMU support anything I can help with? I do have it up and running on my vessel. Any idea what I can do for my 2d panel issue above?

Hlynkacg

Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Dunno.

I had it working but one of my recent changes screwed it up, I need to go back and check for conflicts.

As for the 2d Panel, there's not a whole lot I can say. I'm doing mine in 3d specifically becasue I'm more comfortable messing around in blender and autocad than I am in Visual studio.

that said this...
Code:
ShuttleD::panel2dtex = oapiLoadTexture (“ShuttleD\\MainPanel.dds”);"

...looks off

shouldn't there only be one "\"?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
It would be interesting to have a limit on how long the LM can operate, like running out of consumables(oxygen for the crew, water to cool systems, battery power to run things). You could make use of UCGO for oxygen and water, but you may have to find some other way to deal with power.

I've been watching Spider grow since I spotted a an odd little craft in the screenshot thread. Keep going Hlynkacg! Spider's fore bearers caused their builders many headaches, but they eventually got sorted out into hardworking and reliable machines. Spider will get to the point too.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
My axis of thrust (and as such my frame of reference for orbital manuevers) is oriented along the Y axis and not the Z and decomposing and then recomposing multiple rotation matrices is a real PITA.

Wouldn't it have been simpler to just keep the thrust through the z-axis and instead rotate the viewport, or might that have given other problems?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dunno.

I had it working but one of my recent changes screwed it up, I need to go back and check for conflicts.

As for the 2d Panel, there's not a whole lot I can say. I'm doing mine in 3d specifically becasue I'm more comfortable messing around in blender and autocad than I am in Visual studio.

that said this...
Code:
ShuttleD::panel2dtex = oapiLoadTexture (“ShuttleD\\MainPanel.dds”);"

...looks off

shouldn't there only be one "\"?

It does, but thats how Martins tutorial for panels had it. Ill give a try with only one & see how it goes.

Nope, it likes that even less. Its unfortunate, but I think my vessel addon may have to be primarily keyboard interface based :(. I havent had any luck with VC or panel work so far

Do you think the compiler is looking for an actual file that the filepath is defining? There is one there, but I wonder if it wants the texture in the project directory

Last edited:

marooder86

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Do you think the compiler is looking for an actual file that the filepath is defining? There is one there, but I wonder if it wants the texture in the project directory
I don't think the problem here is with file path cause compiler don't care about what you put inside quotation marks(as long as it can be written in memory as ascii characters). If the massage was that ShuttleD was undeclared then compiler tells you it can't find the declaration of class ShuttleD, so maybe you just forgot to include your class header file.