Laser beams on a ship (please help!)

Talon1

Semi-Intermediate Add-on Dev.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hello, I was wondering how I can put working (by working I mean just the visble part, not the destructive part) laser beams on a ship in orbiter. I'm going to make a satellite that fires a large laser beam on the surface of the earth:)

Also, I've got 20 more posts to go till 100!!!!

Last edited:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
You want to see laser beams like this?
hene_slm.jpg

It requires dust or some other medium to reflect off in order to see. Something that there is a notable lack of in space. :dry:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I thought space was pretty full of dust and other forms of microparticles @w@
Unfortunately I don't understand what " @w@ " means so I can't tell if you are joking or not. Yes, there are plenty of particles in space but the density is not high enough to allow you to see a laser beam reflected off them.

I ment laser beams in orbiter, not real ones!
I understood that. My point is, if you want realistic laser beams in Orbiter, you will not see them, so why bother? On the other hand, if you want "Star Wars" laser beams, I'm pretty sure gattispilot's Laser Tank series has them:
http://www.orbithangar.com/searchauth.php?search=gattispilot

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
On the laser tanks. The laser part is a emissive rod that extends/retracts into the barrel. I thought maybe one could do a small rod and scale it for a beam.

tonykattvc

Just call me Tekwerk.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about using the retro thrusters as laser beams, give them no thrust, a custom exaust texture, with a beam-like exaust, and their own tank (ammunition).

AstroCam

Point loud end thataway
Donator
Reaction score
Look up 'Orbital Cannon' on orbit hanger. Someones already done this, but it bleeping hard to see the beam on the recieving end - if you're gonna make it, make the beam visible on the other end :)

Talon1

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Look up 'Orbital Cannon' on orbit hanger. Someones already done this, but it bleeping hard to see the beam on the recieving end - if you're gonna make it, make the beam visible on the other end :)
I get how it works, it uses the main engine as the beam, took of all the thurst, and super sized it.

I can try this for my 1st orbital cannon, thanks for the idea:speakcool::lol:

On the laser tanks. The laser part is a emissive rod that extends/retracts into the barrel. I thought maybe one could do a small rod and scale it for a beam.
Thanks, I think i'll do this on my 2nd orbital cannon, the Neo Genesis from Gundam Seed:speakcool::lol:

Last edited:

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey...someone had to mention the sharks with frickin' lasers before long...why not me?
:lol:

I wondered how longthat would take. Earlier I was looking for a smiley that made quotes in the air with its fingers so that I could use it to post about a "laser" (imagine me making quotes in the air with my fingers).

Hey Tex, maybe we need an "airquote smiley"

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
what film is that from ?? I know i have watched it I just cannot remember the name

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The quotes are by "Dr. Evil" of the Austin Powers movie trilogy. As I recall, the "sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!" and "death star" quotes are from the first movie, "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery." Cracks me up! :lol:

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
The quotes are by "Dr. Evil" of the Austin Powers movie trilogy. As I recall, the "sharks with frickin' laser beams attached to their heads!" and "death star" quotes are from the first movie, "Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery." Cracks me up! :lol:

I'm pretty sure the "death star" quote is from the second movie*. It was the "Alan Parson's Project" "laser" that Dr. Evil used to turn the moon into a "death star"

(all quotes above should be envisioned with me making quotes in the air with my fingers)

*Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

Talon1

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok now I want to know how to make a destructive laser in orbiter, any sugestions to how I can do this? I want to find out if its possible or not as well.:)

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Ok now I want to know how to make a destructive laser in orbiter, any sugestions to how I can do this? I want to find out if its possible or not as well.:)
It could be done with a DLL.

Simple method:
1. Determine if the target vessel's position intersects your laser beam.
2. Delete the target vessel.

Complex method:
As above but add some textures and/or particle streams for effect.