• The Iron Hill Project 56244.7411.scn
    21.5 KB · Views: 6

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Engines only?
Ninja'd by Sorindafabico:lol:

Correct:yes:

The UCGO racks were meant to be disposable. We jettison them before reentry. Just delete the old ones and put a single new one aboard Chronus;)

I had posted a state above, with a flatbed and an Azure outside the crew hut at Wideawake. I thought Felipi would use it:shrug: (No worries, Felipi--I'm not fussing at you;))

I hadn't thought about the SAS:facepalm: If we add about 6 more cargos, that should simulate the mass, and we can add it on this mission:)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Yep:yes:
For how long, I'm not sure. And we'll also have to put some guys aboard Discovery so they can connect the fuel lines, update the software in the ship's computers, test the new equipment...I'm starting to think a lunar mission would make more sense...

What if we postpone the launch until Tuesday, and set out for Brighton on Wednesday? SolarLiner and Sam Edwards could space walk aboard, and be back in LEO by December 1...

sorindafabico

Reaction score
The simpliest way would be a "soviet lunar mission"-like EVA to transfer crew from Chronus to Discovery and do everything in LEO.

But Chronus and Discovery on Brighton Beach would be more exciting. :D

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Lunar mission it is:)

The SAS installation decided it. There's no telling how long we would (realistically) have to have maintained station keeping--possibly for days. I'm not sure updating the clock after a day or two would work very well for that:shifty:

We'll spacewalk Rtyh-12 and SolarLiner aboard Discovery, and she'll proceed to the moon by herself. Chronus will remain in LEO until Discovery returns about a week later. Then we'll initiate rendezvous procedures, recover the crew, and return to WIA. That should save us some dV.

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure the O2 count aboard the XR-5 updates itself correctly when you update the clock. Same with the Arrow.

In any case, the XR-5 carries several months of oxygen with a crew of two, and the Arrow carries several years worth with a crew of five;)

New schedule (all times UTC):
Nov 20 16:30: Chat meeting begins. Chronus rollout
Nov 20 17:18: Chronus main engine ignition
Nov 21 01:30: Rendezvous with Discovery and crew delivery by spacewalk
Nov 21 13:30: Discovery departs for Luna
Nov 25: Discovery arrives at Luna, begins maintenace work
Nov 27: Discovery departs for Earth
Dec 1: Discovery arrives at Earth. Chronus begins rendezvous/docking procedures to recover the crew.
Dec 2: Chronus begins reentry procedures and returns to WIA.

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 AM ----------

Something just occurred to me:
I won't be able to make it to the chat meetings on the days I just outlined, because I'll be at work:(

So, it will be up to you guys. You know the schedule and what the job is. Bruce and Sam will man mission control. Sorindafabico and Mattyv are flying, with SolarLiner and Rtyh-12 as passengers bound for Discovery and the moon.

Good luck to all involved:thumbup:

Last edited:

Tacolev

Reaction score
Hi All, sorry to be a flake-i-form person.

As you might have guessed, I can't grok the new schedule owing prior travel commitments which will keep me out of the loop all next week. December missions are still looking fine.

sorindafabico

Reaction score
An idea: how about take the empty space in Chronus bay to launch a scientific sattelite? We could release it after Discovery's TLI and grapple it back before deorbit.

We could use Carina or another mesh already done.

---------- Post added at 05:03 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 PM ----------

I haven't tested it, but I'm pretty sure the O2 count aboard the XR-5 updates itself correctly when you update the clock. Same with the Arrow.

In any case, the XR-5 carries several months of oxygen with a crew of two, and the Arrow carries several years worth with a crew of five;)

New schedule (all times UTC):
Nov 20 16:45: Chat meeting begins. Chronus rollout
Nov 20 17:30: Chronus main engine ignition
Nov 21 01:30: Rendezvous with Discovery and crew delivery by spacewalk
Nov 21 13:30: Discovery departs for Luna
Nov 25: Discovery arrives at Luna, begins maintenace work
Nov 27: Discovery departs for Earth
Dec 1: Discovery arrives at Earth. Chronus begins rendezvous/docking procedures to recover the crew.
Dec 2: Chronus begins reentry procedures and returns to WIA.

The optimal launch time is 17:18. :thumbup:

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Okay:yes:
We'll open com channels at 16:30:thumbup: (11:30 AM EST)

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

An idea: how about take the empty space in Chronus bay to launch a scientific sattelite?
Sounds doable. But why?

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

Hi All, sorry to be a flake-i-form person.

As you might have guessed, I can't grok the new schedule owing prior travel commitments which will keep me out of the loop all next week. December missions are still looking fine.
No prob. It only takes one to man mission control. Bruce, you ready?

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Okay:yes:
We'll open com channels at 16:30:thumbup: (11:30 AM EST)

---------- Post added at 01:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 PM ----------

Sounds doable. But why?

---------- Post added at 01:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:19 PM ----------

No prob. It only takes one to man mission control. Bruce, you ready?

Ah, I cant believe Im doing this, but for the next week at least I wont be available. I really need to keep up with school, and I have to make sure the Dlls get finished. We can work without flight control for the time being cant we? Not dropping out on the project, just need to prioritize, but I will be ready for launch :thumbup:.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll fight with my real planning, but if I "wake up" only for the payloads, so I think it may be okay.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks for the patience guys. I got started on "Crockett" module this morning, got to about 80-90 % finished, & the other 3 modules should be even easier to do as clones of the first modules source. On a small detail, for the two consumable rigs docked to the node, would it not make more sense to have both containing food/supplies/water instead of fuel, as any propellant will be used by the SFT docked at the other end? The only reason that I can think of for the habitats to need fuel would be a fuel cell providing power, but we have solar panels already anyways?

sorindafabico

Reaction score
Okay, see if you can add a Carina to the cargo bay, and then post the new state:)

New state with Carina uploaded!

NOTICE:

The following lines MUST be present in Carina.cfg. Erase the original "attachment specs" and paste this after the line "CrossSections...":

;----------------------------------------------------
; XR Payload custom parameters
;----------------------------------------------------

XRPayloadEnabled = true
Description = ESA's Carina
Dimensions = 3.5 3.5 1.5

; === Attachment specs ===
BEGIN_ATTACHMENT
P 0 0 0 0 -1 0 0 0 1 XS
P 0 0.9 0.1 0 1 0 0 0 1 GS
P 0 2.0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 XRCARGO
END_ATTACHMENT

Or download the Carina.zip and paste the Carina.cfg in Config/Vessels:

Attachments

• Carina.zip
    566 bytes · Views: 5
  • The Iron Hill Project 56250.1519.scn
    21.7 KB · Views: 4

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Will download tonight after I get home from work:)
I would like to wish everyone good luck and Godspeed on the mission tomorrow. You all know your jobs. I probably won't be in chat, but I'll be monitoring things from the O-F:thumbup: