Problem I'm not able to load the baikonur tiles

boby_nadeau

Reaction score
Hi,
I download the baikonur tiles for orbiter 2010, but when I try to load orbiter with the R-7 patch , it do that :

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
It is a known bug, (with me at least). I am not sure why it does that though!

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
I've seen this before in regards to other textures.

It looks like an issue with how your video setting handle alpha-channels. (The black area is supposed to be transparent)

If you have a program capable of editing *.dds files(I use GIMP) open it up and take a look. If it looks the same as above copy a grayscale image of the tile into the alpha channel, set black=transperant, and recompress the *.DDS. (I use DX1 compression for Orbiter files)

The problem should resolve it's self.

boby_nadeau

Reaction score
sorry, I don't understand your explanations. Is it difficult ? If no... can you do that, please ? I'm not very good to edit files ...

Thank to your answer.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
which specific addon is it?

can you provide me with a link?

---------- Post added at 07:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:48 PM ----------

As for the explanation, its not particularly hard if you know how to use photoshop or some other image editing program.

Orbiter uses DDS (Direct Draw) files for all it's surface tiles and textures.

DDS files usually have 4 channels; Red, Blue, Green, and Alpha.

Red, Blue, and Green (as thier titles imply) determine the actual color and shape of the texture, and function in much the same way as any tradional "three-color" photo.

Alpha determines any special effects such as tranparency or luminosity(glowing) that should be applied to the image in game.

I'm guessing that the black area in the screenshot you postsed is supposed to be transparent, allowing you to see the surface tile under it. If you have a program that can edit *.DDS files (as I said, I use GIMP) open up the Baikonuer surface tiles and check to see if the alpha channel was set to make the black area transperant. If not, change it.

There are plenty of online tutorials explaining exactly how to go about doing this. Just run a search for "editing alpha channels" or something similar.

Last edited:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The readme says to disable shadows, which cause the problem. But as allready mentioned above, it can be fixed...