Hubble's last photo, what will it be?

Keatah

Reaction score
There will a come a time when HST takes its last photo. Are scientists and the telescope's handlers making any plans as to what the subject mightl be?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Linguofreak

Reaction score
A series of photos: namely, a series of successively brighter dots on the same bearing, followed by loss of signal. :p

If the timing is just right, the last photo might even be distinguishable as a rock, rather than a dot.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nope, exposure time plus MEO makes it way to quick to actually focus on something without motion blur, so all you'll get would be likely to be all blue.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Isn't Hubble pointed at the Earth all the time, for calibration?
They take a perfectly blurred picture of Earth to get an image that is supposed to be all one colour, thus zeroing out pixel offsets, or something to that effect.

Unstung

Reaction score
Which imager with?

Hubble used Earth to calibrate the Wide Field and Planetary Camera 2. By pointing at Earth over time, a flat field image is generated which should have the same brightness across the frame. Using data from this frame, the sensitivity of Hubble images can be corrected. I assume Hubble does this now with Wide Field Camera 3, launched on the last servicing mission, but the source is from 2000. Also, there's a relevant "what-if".

As for the time Hubble takes its last image, it may be well before the spacecraft reenters the atmosphere. When Hubble falls deeper into the thermosphere, the thicker atmosphere prevents the spacecraft from accurately pointing its telescope. So, well before Hubble is a fireball, it won't be able to take normal observations, if any. The final image may just be a regular observation, as the spacecraft becomes too difficult to adequately control. A source for this information is difficult to find.

If scientists can figure out when Hubble cannot produce any more worthwhile data, they may prepare a stunning photo for its demise like for each of Hubble's anniversaries. This photo can be taken months or years in advance, so knowing exactly when Hubble cannot function properly is not vital.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't know. I really hope it would be something rather simple, something that every astronomer (amatuer and pro) would appreciate and enjoy. Like when they did the horsehead nebula on the 10th anniversary.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If they do the deorbit right, it will be a fish. If they do it wrong, it will be the roof of your house.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
IIRC they had to replace a few gyros in the last hubble servicing mission. As these gyros can fail at any time, I expect that at some point in the future, sufficient of them will fail again that NASA can no longer point Hubble in the direction that they want. This will probably happen suddenly as the last gyro* fails. As such, I expect Hubble's last photo to be unremarkable and to be of whatever it was studying before the gyro failure.

*Hubble needs 3 gyros to be able to be controlled in the three axes. IIRC it has 6 (for redundancy). So I expect that when it gets down to 2 working gyros, they can't control it enough anymore (this is what I mean by the 'last gyro' failure, not getting down to zero working gyros)

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If Hubble loses attitude control then whatever vehicle is sent to deorbit it won't be able to dock with it. Right?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If Hubble loses attitude control then whatever vehicle is sent to deorbit it won't be able to dock with it. Right?
I would expect they would have one attached by the time they get down to 3 gyro's for this event. That said, they could get by with just 2 gryo's but things get harder in that event.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hubble has gyros for precision pointing but it also has magnetic torquers for gyro desaturation if I remember correctly, so you could always point Hubble to -somewhere- ... Kind of an empty gaze, space telescope version...