Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Server had an unexpected CAT error resulting in an unplanned machine shutdown.

Should be back up now. Let me know if you see any issues. J_Lounge in particular (who appears to have been online at the time) may be having issues. Let me know.

On a related note, apparently minecraft is now splitting up its log files. Yay! Except, it's storing them in an unusable ".gz" format. Not-so-yay.

Last edited:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Except, it's storing them in an unusable ".gz" format. Not-so-yay.
That's just a compression. (Some file viewers have automatic filter that decompresses them on-the-fly even if they don't have .gz extension but just "1F 8B" header, but I'm not sure they've been ported to Windows.)

JSwift

Reaction score
Server had an unexpected CAT error...

Should be back up now. Let me know if you see any issues. J_Lounge in particular (who appears to have been online at the time) may be having issues. Let me know.

No issues but I was on when it happened (my MC name is J_Lounge). I was out on the eastern edge of the super-survival world caving down near bedrock, digging around a lava pool. The game froze for a few seconds then I was disconnected. I tried it out today and re-spawned a couple of minutes "back in time" with no problems. Items, inventory and environment all seem ok (I was using unmodded 1.7.4).

On a related note, I've been exploring/caving/wandering around the super-survival world towards the east and literally ran headlong into the eastern "edge of the world". :) What are the overall dimensions of the super-survival world?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No issues but I was on when it happened (my MC name is J_Lounge). I was out on the eastern edge of the super-survival world caving down near bedrock, digging around a lava pool. The game froze for a few seconds then I was disconnected. I tried it out today and re-spawned a couple of minutes "back in time" with no problems. Items, inventory and environment all seem ok (I was using unmodded 1.7.4).

On a related note, I've been exploring/caving/wandering around the super-survival world towards the east and literally ran headlong into the eastern "edge of the world". :) What are the overall dimensions of the super-survival world?

Uh...2k x 2k? I think? Maybe 3k x 3k...

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Just a quick question, has anyone built a squid farm yet? Just thought I'd ask before I go though another couple of picks finishing this sodding great hole in the middle of nowhere.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hey, a minecraft server!

That's cool, maybe I'll join and check it out.

Wait, what's this? I'm the admin and people expect *me* to administrate and update the sever? That's weird... huh. I suppose I'll do that.

Server was down for about an hour today while I did some long-overdue hardware and software maintenance (it's good to know that I can basically ignore the thing for six months and it doesn't destroy itself!). It should be back up and running now, with the latest versions of everything.

As always, let me know if you run into any problems. Only issue I saw is that I was no longer listed as an op, so I fixed that.

Does anyone still play this game?

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I would play but my computer speed has passed the point of no return...

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I play with ALL the mods now. So no more vanilla really.
Currently doing Yogscast Complete Pack.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hey, a minecraft server!

That's cool, maybe I'll join and check it out.

Wait, what's this? I'm the admin and people expect *me* to administrate and update the sever? That's weird... huh. I suppose I'll do that.

Server was down for about an hour today while I did some long-overdue hardware and software maintenance (it's good to know that I can basically ignore the thing for six months and it doesn't destroy itself!). It should be back up and running now, with the latest versions of everything.

As always, let me know if you run into any problems. Only issue I saw is that I was no longer listed as an op, so I fixed that.

I suspect there will be a spike when 1.8 comes out.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I was for 5 minutes last week, but only to check what I was doing the last time (a few months earlier) and where. The place where I left the game looked exactly the same as before. :p

But it reminded me that I need to bring some more quartz and sand home from the resource world, so I'll probably log in for a little longer (more than 5 minutes) near this weekend.

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is it possible we can open this up to another science forum? Maybe like francophone or kerbal or Microsoft Flight or some other place where people are relatively respectful of virtual property...

Our whole economy is dependent on constant growth... We need more people.

In other news I checked out the new updates for minecraft and realized how turnt up 1.8 will be. Also I may use one of my old computers to host a multi-forum server that could theoretically be connected by wormhole to this one.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Orbiter francophone would be fine, but they can all easily come here.

Kerbal is a *massive* community, and I don't think my poor little server could handle it...

I think there's a happy medium between too few and too many. In the server's heyday, I think we were pretty much there, possibly very slightly on the "too few" side. Now, we're definitely on the far end of "too few."

I would also prefer to lean toward "too few" instead of "too many." I don't have the time or interest to be constantly administrating/moderating the server, and with too many people that becomes something you have to do.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
There seems to be a lull in interest to Minecraft lately.
Maybe the game just gets old and boring, all the years later?

JSwift

Reaction score
I log in from time to time. I've been in the super survival world exploring and doing mini builds but nothing serious. I'd agree that leaning towards "too few" on the whitelist is preferable in light of minimizing griefing and keeping trolls away.

I was wondering what might happen when 1.8 arrives. There are some significant additions (as seen in the snapshots) that may spark some interest. Perhaps a server reset is in order?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I doubt that most people would want a server reset, although if that's what people want I'm totally okay with it.

On that note, I never did upload the old world somewhere for people to download it, did I...

JSwift

Reaction score
It's all good with me and it would be nice to be in 1.8 when it comes out. I only brought it up because I remembered reading something about world incompatibility when moving to 1.8 - not sure about that though.

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Heilor, if you don't mind me asking, what is the specs of the minecraft server.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Heilor, if you don't mind me asking, what is the specs of the minecraft server.

Nothing fancy. In fact, it's a bit on the overkill side (except for RAM, I guess) at this point since I'm no longer running FSX on it.

Code:
------------------
System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 7/29/2014, 22:11:54
       Machine name: HSERVER00
   Operating System: Windows Home Server 2011 64-bit (6.1, Build 7601) Service Pack 1 (7601.win7sp1_gdr.140303-2144)
           Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: MSI
       System Model: MS-7623
               BIOS: Default System BIOS
          Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 640 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.0GHz
             Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8192MB RAM
          Page File: 6175MB used, 10204MB available
        Windows Dir: C:\Windows
    DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.01.7601.17514 32bit Unicode
 ------------
DxDiag Notes
------------
      Display Tab 1: No problems found.
        Sound Tab 1: This computer cannot play audio because the Windows Audio service is not enabled.  Use the Sounds and Devices Properties control panel to enable audio. No sound card was found.  If one is expected, you should install a sound driver provided by the hardware manufacturer.
          Input Tab: No problems found.
 --------------------
DirectX Debug Levels
--------------------
Direct3D:    0/4 (retail)
DirectDraw:  0/4 (retail)
DirectInput: 0/5 (retail)
DirectMusic: 0/5 (retail)
DirectPlay:  0/9 (retail)
DirectSound: 0/5 (retail)
DirectShow:  0/6 (retail)
 ---------------
Display Devices
---------------
          Card name: ATI Radeon HD 5450
       Manufacturer: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
          Chip type: ATI display adapter (0x68F9)
           DAC type: Internal DAC(400MHz)
         Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_1002&DEV_68F9&SUBSYS_23401462&REV_00
     Display Memory: 4095 MB
   Dedicated Memory: 1010 MB
      Shared Memory: 3085 MB
       Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: Generic PnP Monitor
      Monitor Model: HP 2311
         Monitor Id: HWP293B
        Native Mode: 1920 x 1080(p) (60.000Hz)
        Output Type: HD15
        Driver Name: aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx64.dll,aticfx32,aticfx32,aticfx32,atiumd64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atidxx64.dll,atiumdag,atidxx32,atidxx32,atiumdva,atiumd6a.cap,atitmm64.dll
Driver File Version: 8.17.0010.1091 (English)
     Driver Version: 8.881.0.0
        DDI Version: 11
       Driver Model: WDDM 1.1

*snip*

Richy

VTOL craft Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.richmans-maps.ch.vu
On that note, I never did upload the old world somewhere for people to download it, did I...
No, you haven't. But it would be nice to have an offline copy to preserve the incredible artwork on that world.

Would it be a possibility to somehow start a new world with 1.8, but leave the old world accessible by a portal like it is with the ressource world?

Eccentrus

Geekernaut
Reaction score
well I've been playing on a much more political-oriented server as well as TFC, and yes as Nick said, I think the heyday of vanilla is far gone now, with the whole fun shifting towards the Forge API and its childmods.