Gaming Hielor's Minecraft Server

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'll make a note for myself to upload the old world. I wonder if Onedrive supports files that large for sharing, now that I have a terabyte there...

I assume it would be possible to start yet another world for 1.8, but I can hear my hard drive crying now. Maybe replace the resource world, then look at re-adding it when the new new new world is running low?

And as always, if the majority of people would be more interested in a server with mods, I'm open to that, although I'd prefer to have things that don't require a significant amount of administration/monitoring on my part.

fsci123

Future Dubstar and Rocketkid
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'll make a note for myself to upload the old world. I wonder if Onedrive supports files that large for sharing, now that I have a terabyte there...

You know there is a way you could download specific chunks of minecraft instead of the whole thing.

I assume it would be possible to start yet another world for 1.8, but I can hear my hard drive crying now. Maybe replace the resource world, then look at re-adding it when the new new new world is running low?

Who know maybe the new world could get used to scarcity.

Also if you do make a new world I would like to make a currency to go along with a virtual economic system.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also if you do make a new world I would like to make a currency to go along with a virtual economic system.
I believe this sort of thing is actually already supported in the set of mods on the server, but I haven't looked into it in a while since I believe this was proposed and discarded a while back. I can't find any references in a couple minutes of searching in this thread, though.

Isn't that what emeralds are supposed to be for?

I do remember that back in the day I tried to get the server onto the "redstone standard" for currency and it worked for a little while...

---------- Post added at 21:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:53 ----------

So, I think I uploaded the old world to skydrive. It's only ~300MB.

http://1drv.ms/1leMnp6

Disclaimer being that this file has been sitting on my computer completely unaltered since april of 2013, so I have no idea if current minecraft versions can even open it. I'll leave that (and the process to open it) as an exercise for the reader.

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I believe this sort of thing is actually already supported in the set of mods on the server, but I haven't looked into it in a while since I believe this was proposed and discarded a while back. I can't find any references in a couple minutes of searching in this thread, though.

Isn't that what emeralds are supposed to be for?

I do remember that back in the day I tried to get the server onto the "redstone standard" for currency and it worked for a little while...

I've been working on my wacky economic theories and I figured out that signed books (3x copy) are the best suited for currency. I even tried some dispenser designs in my colony. Signed books can be verified(name attached) and aren't prone to hoarding(deflation) or mass production(inflation).

So, I think I uploaded the old world to skydrive. It's only ~300MB.

http://1drv.ms/1leMnp6

Disclaimer being that this file has been sitting on my computer completely unaltered since april of 2013, so I have no idea if current minecraft versions can even open it. I'll leave that (and the process to open it) as an exercise for the reader.

Oh wow... The size is more manageable... Do you mind if I extract pieces and render them for art?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oh wow... The size is more manageable... Do you mind if I extract pieces and render them for art?
I didn't make most things on the server, you'd need to ask the people who made things :)

I doubt that anyone would mind, however. Would probably be nice to have a well-rendered gallery of stuff from the old world.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
If anyone wants anything really spectacular rendering give me a shout and I'll put my gaming rig to it.

fsci: With what are you planning to back this currency? A book isn't going to have a value just because you say it does. And where do you set the conversion rate? I've been thinking about it a bit also. Give me a bit to dig up my notes.

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
If anyone wants anything really spectacular rendering give me a shout and I'll put my gaming rig to it.

I was thinking about doing the rendering in 3ds max. Assuming you have it I could give you the preset I used to make this:
picture.php

---------- Post added at 11:10 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:03 PM ----------

fsci: With what are you planning to back this currency? A book isn't going to have a value just because you say it does. And where do you set the conversion rate? I've been thinking about it a bit also. Give me a bit to dig up my notes.

The book currency is fiat. It's worth is based off the market exchange rate. Though I'm pretty sure the first markets/trades will have some sort of agreed upon standard for the buying and selling rate. The only problem that I've thought of(at the moment) is that a person or organization could drasticly alter the price of things buy creating large farms or monopolizing resources...or even worse, deliberately fixing prices.

Last edited:

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Does anyone know the version that the map is from? The map was made before the biome map was stored in the map files, and I want to try and restore the biomes to their original state.

fsci: I'm planning on using Chunky or for advanced scenes Blender.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does anyone know the version that the map is from? The map was made before the biome map was stored in the map files, and I want to try and restore the biomes to their original state.
Based on release dates and discussions at the time, it looks like the server was on 1.5.1 at the time the old world was removed.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
I was more interested in when the map was made, as (no offence intended to anyone else) that was when the commune and surrounding area was generated, and that's really the only bit I care about. I've found from a screenshot on page 3 of the thread it was Beta 1.8.1. Thank you Izack for posting a picture of the Lyndon B. Johnson Memorial Melon and not turning your HUD off.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was more interested in when the map was made, as (no offence intended to anyone else) that was when the commune and surrounding area was generated, and that's really the only bit I care about. I've found from a screenshot on page 3 of the thread it was Beta 1.8.1. Thank you Izack for posting a picture of the Lyndon B. Johnson Memorial Melon and not turning your HUD off.
On an entirely related note, holy crap, the server has been running almost continuously with very little downtime for nearly three years.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Oh wow, I didn't know we were talking about the beta world... So long ago!

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Ok, the seed in the map file is wrong. There's no way to recover the biome data other than to rebuild it manually from the terrain, which isn't something I have time for right now.

---------- Post added 02-08-14 at 00:56 ---------- Previous post was 01-08-14 at 23:16 ----------

In the mean time, here is a panoramic shot of the Commune area from atop the watch tower, the render is estimated to be approx 10% complete: http://i.imgur.com/7Y6wcPi.jpg
(That's the funny thing with raytraced renders, they're never "Done.", they just keep getting better and better until you decide its good enough.)

ADDENDUM: ETA, if anyone is interested, is somewhere between 2 and 2 1/2 days, depending on how much CPU I can dedicate to this. (100% = 48 hours, 50% = 58 Hours)
Also for those interested, that image is at 1,009 SPP and current render target is 10,000 SPP. My machine does 430,000 SPS at 100% and 350,000 SPS at 50% The renderer currently does not have GPU support. If it did this would probably be half way done already.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Ok, the seed in the map file is wrong. There's no way to recover the biome data other than to rebuild it manually from the terrain, which isn't something I have time for right now.
For the beta world, the seed might have been something stupid like "orbiter" or "orbiterforum." :lol: I honestly don't remember. It has been 3 years...

Is there someplace else that the seed might have been stored? I can comb through old backups to see if I have it somewhere else.

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
Find the oldest backup of the map you can, load it and do "/seed". If we're lucky it will be different to -1267589708872349717

jangofett287

Heat shield 'tester'
Reaction score
There's probably a program that can pull the seed straight from the level.dat somewhere on the web.

---------- Post added at 02:10 ---------- Previous post was at 02:06 ----------

Also the current seed is definitely wrong regardless of any factors if the seed came from a text string, as its outside the range that the .hash() function can produce. (.hash() produces a 32 bit signed int, the seed in the map file is in the 64 bit signed int range)

Gerdih

Reaction score
We have been trying to keep our current world for long ago until now. If people wanna reset, and start another world. I agree with it. I must say I miss those good days when I spent lots of hours with you guys on this game.

P.S. maybe we should arrive at a certain concensus about adding mods, and what mods for the new world. I have always thought the possibility to construct vehicles like ships or planes could be so cool.

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Oldest backup I have is showing the seed as -3136405640673471879.

fsci123

Addon Developer
Reaction score
We have been trying to keep our current world for long ago until now. If people wanna reset, and start another world. I agree with it. I must say I miss those good days when I spent lots of hours with you guys on this game.

P.S. maybe we should arrive at a certain concensus about adding mods, and what mods for the new world. I have always thought the possibility to construct vehicles like ships or planes could be so cool.

I don't think we should add mods...yet. Most mods may not be compatible with 1.8 when it first comes out.

Plus mods make everything easier. The harder the game the more creative we get.