Heavy ships to the moon

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I went to the Moon with Shuttle-A. I did it from the ISS, but how to do it if I want to start from Earth? Reaching LEO I'm without fuel.
I thought to launch the Shuttle-A with Velcro Rockets. But is this realistic?
Do Velcro rockets consider the Shuttle-A weight or do drop tanks consider their additional weight?
Or there is other ways to do this?
What you suggest, what is the best realistic way to bring heavy ships like Shuttle-A to the Moon or to orbit and back?

And if we suppose that Brighton Beach doesn't exist in Orbiter and I want to go to the Moon and back, building a Moon base? I'll need more fuel again.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
attach some fuel tanks to it or use a launcher

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry, but do you think you have answered my questions?

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
to launch it just use Velcro rockets the still simulate the weight of the shuttle a

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I thought to launch the Shuttle-A with Velcro Rockets. But is this realistic?

Taking a shuttle-A to the moon from earth surface isn't realistic any way you turn it. It has the aerodynamics of a brick, and noone would want to shoot something like that from the earth directly to the moon in real life.

Both Velcro and drop-tanks consider the additional weight as far as I am informed, but not the aerodynamics. Meaning, you can plaster your shuttle with tanks, as long as its engines are strong enough to support the additional weight, but they won't produce any drag.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Ok, thanks to both.

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Fill the cargo bay with fuel tanks (it has the mass capacity for it) for your trans-lunar and return trip burns.

Can't really do much besides sight see. I don't think it has the capacity to actually land on the moon. Its RCS system isn't up to snuff for doing an "airplane" style landing. I guess you could modify the rear to be able to land on its tail with its OMS engines. But then what?

JamesG

Orbinaut
Reaction score
yes reality.

Orbiter's ground craft interface is... rather forgiving. I have dragged out of control craft across the surface of moons at several meters per second without ill effect before. I don't think that would have the same outcome in real-life.