Project Heavy Metal

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
When i first saw a new post on the "Heavy Metal" thread, especially one by Coolhand, i thought: "Oh great! a few more unbelievably great looking pics of an incredible spacecraft that we might never end up fly. (In Orbiter-eventhough i know that Doug is a man of his word.)
Then i run into this "quarrel" between Coolhand and T.Neo.

While reading it, T.Neo's posts made a lot of sense, if you wanted to build a massive interplanetary spaceship that would get you to Mars in a couple of weeks or so. (With close to today's technology).

Helior (of course) wrote the most logical post of all. "Don't like it, don't use it".

And it's true, This isn't a thread like Moach's Deltastar-linner or what ever it's called.(Sorry Moach, i do like your ship, i just couldn't remember what's it's name).

Coolhand never asked for anyone's help to "tune" or even "fine-tune" his model. He said "This is it! Do you like it?" And most of the community's jaws dropped in awe. (And now that i think about it, he never said that this is going to be an Orbiter add-on... :blink:)

The XR2 fans know why they like the XR2. Let's face it, the Vanguard and the XR1 share 95% (or more) of the code, but only ONE of the XR series is the favourite! Why? (you know the answer!)

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Will a dry lakebed suffice for a large runway?

I would venture my opinion and say not really. The issue in my opinion is the extremely high energy exhaust would cause the ground to glassily which would ruin traction over time.

On top of that such a monster craft will go supersonic quickly after takeoff. While you could go west into a retrograde orbit it would make for a hellish experience dodging debris with a craft so large.

I would say a custom spaceport along the east cost in my opinion (Inclination matters not when you got extreme ISP)

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
OK well I really appreciate those comments and its clear that most people 'get it'
I mean basically all the criticisms are valid, but are just engineering problems anyway so i dont really see what the problem is.. this is a future design. Also I dont go around imposing my ideas on others, well not any more anyway but i've been posting work on the internet for a real long time and i interact a lot with people and i've learned to mostly just follow my own instincts and it seems to work out ok.

but look i dont want Tneo to feel alienated i think he's a nice guy really, Neo i hope you cool off a little and give the concept a chance. i'm not harming anyone by exploring an idea for a virtual spacecraft, even if i do it through orbiter its only a game, something we do for fun so lets keep it that way eh?:)

Gumdrop, yes possibly and i had a specific "area" in mind for the future spaceport..

Zachstar, just putting a heavy aircraft down would probably mash up the surface a lot. but if you were using an entire dry lake it would be an unpowered landing so no glassification.. and if it was being used regularly like a spaceport you'd build a proper, massive runway.

Last edited:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
was my hint too obvious? damn. yeah i think marvin's going home...

---------- Post added at 06:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:27 AM ----------

I would say a custom spaceport along the east cost in my opinion (Inclination matters not when you got extreme ISP)

well i dont want to promise too much, but even if i didn't do this, someone should.. you can set geometry with coding wizardry to be landable - like artlavs shukra station. I had discussed with doug something like that for a lunar base structure with landing pads and its dooable.

how about sections of runway that you can place anywhere (well anywhere sorta flat) and join them up to make really long runways and then add the other structures and things you need.. so a bit like todays runways in orbiter you could copy and paste them to new areas. they could have a certain amount of thickness so they can sit over slightly uneven terrain and work with orulex and things like that. just an idea anyway, sounds like the kind of awesome thing artlav might crank out in an afternoon. ;)

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Sections sounds like a logistical nightmare in my opinion. My "idea" of a future material would be a concrete like thickness anyway so "pasting" a runway would be similar no?

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Well, this ship is clearly supposed to be built in a time when technology has come to a point when sacrificing some performance for the sake of convenience is acceptable. From an engineering perspective the deployable centrifuge module would be a nightmare to design and it would introduce a weak spot, in the structure, add unnecessary mass and is not really required for a trip 1 - 2 weeks long. Humans can easily spend 2 weeks in zero G without serious health problems. But the centrifuge is still there because it is more convenient to have gravity for whole duration of the trip. Most passengers also would prefer ship which is more convenient even if it means few days longer trip.

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
but look i dont want Tneo to feel alienated i think he's a nice guy really, Neo i hope you cool off a little and give the concept a chance. i'm not harming anyone by exploring an idea for a virtual spacecraft, even if i do it through orbiter its only a game, something we do for fun so lets keep it that way eh?:)

Conversely Coolhand, don't think I don't like you or your work. I'm sure you'd have a laugh at many of my projects...

Inclination doesn't really matter for inteplanetary flight either, AFAIK, regardless of the Dv of the vessel.

The US East Coast would be good in terms of infrastructure, but it leaves something to be desired for people in other parts of the world...

Most passengers also would prefer ship which is more convenient even if it means few days longer trip.

Conversely, microgravity might be a welcome novelty, and would be more practical. That novelty might wear off with time though...

A centrifuge does not automatically make things comfortable for the passengers- there are motion sickness symptoms, but they do diminish as spin rate decreases and radius of the centrifuge increases. There's also the issue of getting people in and out of the centrifuge safely and conveniently.

cljohnston

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
This is just awesome work you've done, Steve, as usual!

That just begs for a Ron Cobb inspired warning sign - if you watch the old movie 'alien' closely, there are symbols for most doorways, on the airlock i think is this upside down guy.

btw If anyone wants to use this symbol in their projects feel free, its a png with transparency for easy use.

Pity that Ron's own website doesn't have much on it, but here's a discussion thread about his "semiotic standard" for A L I E N...

Propsummit.com - Nostromo Signage

---------- Post added at 07:35 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:24 AM ----------

what, you're still here? Orbiter 2010 has just been released, go now... download, fly.;):probe::hello::cheers::thumbup::tiphat::probe::probe::rofl::hotcool::threadjacked::threadjacked::threadjacked::threadjacked::threadjacked:

Hey, WOW! I didn't realize!
(Y'know, cuz, I've been Mac-only for the last few years! Dang, when's somebody gonna port Orbiter for the Mac?)

HR_Oso

Reaction score
First, sorry for my poor english.

I´ve read this thread carefully, and i think this will be an amazing vessel, Coolhand. I liked the water landing idea, and i have a couple of ideas for solving the inconveniences. First, the water splashing problem is solved simply putting the exhausts far from the surface, like the Beriev Be 200 aircraft:

http://www.beriev.com/eng/Be-200_e/Be-200_e.html

and second, regarding the wing size/area issue for landing, u could use a common sci-fi topic with scientific roots today: shapeshifting materials. During reentry, wings would be short and delta-shaped, after that, the external sections of the wings could enlarge for a low-speed landing.

Last edited:

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Sections sounds like a logistical nightmare in my opinion. My "idea" of a future material would be a concrete like thickness anyway so "pasting" a runway would be similar no?

this is just a way so its conveniently easy to put together. like orbiters current runways are assembled in sections. so this is purely an excercise in games environment construction, which is typically all repeating sections and tiles put together.

Well, this ship is clearly supposed to be built in a time when technology has come to a point when sacrificing some performance for the sake of convenience is acceptable. From an engineering perspective the deployable centrifuge module would be a nightmare to design and it would introduce a weak spot, in the structure, add unnecessary mass and is not really required for a trip 1 - 2 weeks long. Humans can easily spend 2 weeks in zero G without serious health problems. But the centrifuge is still there because it is more convenient to have gravity for whole duration of the trip. Most passengers also would prefer ship which is more convenient even if it means few days longer trip.

Ah, well ya know i wasn't the one to say 'a week to mars' but perhaps thats dooable at the closest point and i came up with some rough numbers for doing that.

if thats as fast as it can get there at the closest point then its going to take 4 times that when its in opposition, probably more.. my calculation was very simple and 4 weeks simply assumes both planets are static and that you fly through the sun;)

So lets say you're going on a long off peak holiday to mars, or for some reason you just have to go at around the worst possible time. so say you have six weeks or more transit there, six weeks back and however long you're there, you're potentially spending a long time in space and in the reduce gravity of mars.

Personally i think we're going to have to come up with some more imaginative solutions than pure hardware and solving engineering problems. consider other options like drugs or even genetic engineering for future generations to make them resistant to the effects of zerog. perhaps nano machinery or bio machines could rebuild bone structure as its lost.. who knows.

Conversely Coolhand, don't think I don't like you or your work. I'm sure you'd have a laugh at many of my projects...

absolutely not, and i resent the suggestion i'm snobby about others work somehow.

Every addon developer has different ideas and i respect that even if i don't personaly agree with something i think you have a right to express that idea without being nagged about it in your own thread, or ridiculed in others.

I certainly don't see the sense in debating things endlessly which are just technical issues that haven't been proven either way when you're dealing with fictional craft... its arrogant to assume and you're just basically singing from the hymn sheet and regurgitating someone elses "facts".

You've brought up another one there about the centrifuge,as far as i know, its an entirely untested concept for real spacetravel but something ive considered anyway.

Most other posters here are as technically savvy as you, but they appreciate the concept for what it is, rather than push their own preconceived ideas of what a spacecraft should look like. I would never go into another persons thread and mock them for their concept...

There's also the issue of getting people in and out of the centrifuge safely and conveniently.

then you've missed the posts concerning the elevator car system. this has all been planned in from the start moving people around inside the structure. i feel like i've said this before in another way, recently...Think perhaps you should wait and see the final work before you pass any further judgement on the project.

This is just awesome work you've done, Steve, as usual!

Pity that Ron's own website doesn't have much on it, but here's a discussion thread about his "semiotic standard" for A L I E N...

Propsummit.com - Nostromo Signage

thanks, id have had to look for those...:) they will give me some more inspiration for one or two more signs to use inside.

First, sorry for my poor english.

I´ve read this thread carefully, and i think this will be an amazing vessel, Coolhand. I liked the water landing idea, and i have a couple of ideas for solving the inconveniences. First, the water splashing problem is solved simply putting the exhausts far from the surface, like the Beriev Be 200 aircraft:

http://www.beriev.com/eng/Be-200_e/Be-200_e.html

and second, regarding the wing size/area issue for landing, u could use a common sci-fi topic with scientific roots today: shapeshifting materials. During reentry, wings would be short and delta-shaped, after that, the external sections of the wings could enlarge for a low-speed landing.

i'm really not building it for a splashdown despite some of the discussion. but those are interesting, creative suggestions and thankyou. Placing engines up higher causes issues in space because you're moving the centre of thrust higher up and i try and position things around the centre of mass to simplify things. but yeah once again this is just an engineering issue, you could raise and lower the engines as needed, or just have the ship shaped in such a way that it copes with the offset thrust in air and space by changing its attitude in spaceflight... so it might fly 'nose up' in space and angle the thrust up slightly.

Assuming you deal with all the challenges in building something like that, i see no reason why a sufficiently advanced spacecraft couldn't operate even fully underwater. and i'm sure one day we'll have an underwater world to explore in orbiter.

I particularly like the idea of shape-shifting materials but thats maybe more than i want to get into with this project. not to mention a technical challenge, as though its possible to do, i'm not sure how we would handle mesh morphing and deformations in real time in the orbiter engine.

I think if i were to do that i'd give it swing wings as then you're just moving objects around.

and for what its worth, that was a very well written post and i understood it fully.:thumbup:

eveningsky339

Resident Orbiter Slave
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A water landing would be the most "plausible" idea, but it would... I don't know... kind of ruin the fun in some ways. I mean, it's really hard to screw up when you're aiming for the Atlantic Ocean as opposed to a runway. No need to make an extremely precise re-entry, no need to align with the runway, etc.

So while water landing is a good idea in many ways, runway landings are more fun and challenging. What about a "hybrid" design that can land on both water and a runway? Not sure how that would work out code-wise, considering Orbiter considers water and land one in the same.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
again i think thats absolutely dooable at some point, seaplanes that can take to space could be very useful. I'm not all that interested in the idea because the water in orbiter isn't all that interesting at the moment... all you're doing at the moment is hitting blue coloured ground with no landing gear. if you wanna say that it can land on water and try that out, sure do that.. there's nothing to stop you - it certainly wont sink;)

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
A water landing would be the most "plausible" idea, but it would... I don't know... kind of ruin the fun in some ways. I mean, it's really hard to screw up when you're aiming for the Atlantic Ocean as opposed to a runway. No need to make an extremely precise re-entry, no need to align with the runway, etc.

So while water landing is a good idea in many ways, runway landings are more fun and challenging. What about a "hybrid" design that can land on both water and a runway? Not sure how that would work out code-wise, considering Orbiter considers water and land one in the same.
Well, technically you'd need at least most of the precision in reentry. Sure you're heading for the Atlantic, but if you're taking people to Spain and you land 300km out to sea, you have quite a long boat ride ahead of you, and time is money.

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
Did we guess how long of a runway it would need, or is it too early to estimate that with any amount of accuracy?

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Based on what I've seen, these ships will fit right in with the ships of the RTF Fleet .... definately giving a more pre Cylon Caprica feel to things. I look foreward to playing around with them.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
With a dry ship, you'll be able to put down on dreamlands long runway and stop. KSC's shuttle runway with hover-assistance and almost anywhere else if you cheat a bit. I'll have some basic scifi runway building blocks ready soon, at least modelling wise anyway.. maybe even a big curved skijump type runway if anyone wants to try that, even if hovers are more useful on mars, perhaps someone could try jumping a car over valles marineris;)

Attachments

• heavy_10.jpg
    heavy_10.jpg
    141.6 KB · Views: 214

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
Ah, see. There's the solution to all this discussion; just make your runway look as futuristic as your craft. A bit of hand-waving and the problem is solved. Good stuff.

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
In post #75: Duck Dodgers? EPIC.

I have to say, it's always depressing yet educational to see your work, Coolhand. So epic, and I know that I'm never going to be quite as good unless I devote a significant amount of time to it. I'm looking forward to seeing this as an XR12, if that's what it's gonna be. :cheers: