Halo Physics

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Second these building size microphones were deployed in the 1930 in an attempt to listen in on radio waves. They thought that might be able to hear radio waves on all frequencies at once which would be useful. Unfortunatly they were wrong however they did discover something, STATIC. Static is residual energy from the big bang, or in other words the echoes of the big bang.

OK, lets go a step back and assume you are just the typical Halo fanboy, ignorant of any real-world physics and thinking what you see in a computer game, calculated in the spare cycles of a CPU, bought from the lowest bidder, is the reality.

Radio waves are electromagnetic waves, which you receive with antennas, inducing alternating currents in the antenna. Radio waves need no medium, they are transported by photons.

Sound waves are mechanical/pressure waves, transmitted inside a medium at the speed of sound of the medium. Sound waves propagate by mechanical collisions between molecules. You usually use a membrane for turning these pressure waves into electrical signals.

What you mean is the Holmdel Horn Antenna, a horn type antenna used as radio telescope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmdel_Horn_Antenna

Note that it wasn't installed in space and not installed in the 1930s - it was build in 1964. This is also no surprise, since the required technology for receiving such cosmic radio signals was result of the development of radar systems in the second world war. The Cosmic Microwave background radiation has a wavelength of only 1.9mm, this is ten times shorter than the wavelengths of WW2 radar.

Horn type antennas are no microphones, they don't even look like them. They amplify radio waves by acting as waveguide, a metal tube section which makes radio waves travel inside them, and which require to be at a special size fitting to the wavelength of the radio waves you want to receive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_%28telecommunications%29

Again, Halo is not the reality. It is not even close to it. It is a typical space shooter, which relies on a fictional plot and universe...and fictional physics. If this is now a unpleasant revelation to you, prepare for more in the future.

The shield technology you lecture long about, wouldn't even work if you feed enough energy into the claimed technology to make the hull of the spacecraft glow in the X-Ray spectrum (See Blackbody radiation).

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
in the case of a halo mod you delve into the halo universe... thus using the fake halo physics as a guide... is it realistic? not even close. but thats how halo is supposed to be. if orbiter must remain seperated from fake physics then lets go yell at the maker of the battlestar galactica warp drive

also. halo isnt a space shooter. theres no point ever when ur not standing on solid ground. the closest u get is hovering in a vehicle 200 feet off the ground

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
ok his microphone and dark matter bit was a bit off but from a capital ship battle POV. you must get close enough to fire off enough rounds to do critical damage while not giving the enemy time to move out of the way wich is rather fast with their advanced thrusters. that said yes you could make some accurate shots from over 1000km. if they sat on their ass ud nail them for good damage. but they wont sit on their ass and brace for impact... they will move out of the way. they also have FTL drives, they dont need to worry about getting a stable orbit or inclination. they warp in close enough to fire a few good shots and then duke it out until a ship is criticaly damaged or runs away.
Wait so...

The enemy has better guns than you, and so you're proposing that you move CLOSER to them to give them a BETTER shot on you in order for you to hit them better?

If you are close enough to the enemy ship for debris from their ship to hit you, then you are very probably going to be taking an extreme amount of damage (not just from the debris of them exploding). Moreover, if they outclass you, you're very likely going to lose.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Wait so...

The enemy has better guns than you, and so you're proposing that you move CLOSER to them to give them a BETTER shot on you in order for you to hit them better?

Works on Earth, for naval ship combat (See the fate of the Hood). But in space, there is no indirect fire, only direct fire, and no waterline.

If you are close enough to the enemy ship for debris from their ship to hit you, then you are very probably going to be taking an extreme amount of damage (not just from the debris of them exploding). Moreover, if they outclass you, you're very likely going to lose.

In space, it is all about firepower and armor...mostly firepower. Maneuverability can make it harder to hit you because of relativity, but you shouldn't overestimate it.

The main limit for the effective range of weapons will be the size of the target and the accuracy of your pointing. if you reach just about 0.1 arc second pointing accuracy (typical for good space telescopes), you can hit a 85 m large spacecraft at the distance of the moon. At one arc-second, it will still be 850m, the size of many sci-fi warships.

There is no reason to assume that space combat will not happen at the top end of the range scale, like most naval battles in history BTW. If you have a range advantage, you will try to exploit it.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
a few good direct hits with a large railgun would disable a covenant ship. the shields arnt that strong. covenant ships dont have superior weapons. even from 300km they are vastly inacurate. as for debris, u might get hit but the armor is thick enough as not not take any serious damage. any damage you did take would be easily repaired after the battle. covenant weapons are slow moving, large spread, rapid fire projectiles. railguns fire much more damaging rounds at much higher velocities. they just cant get as many shots off as fast

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
ok his microphone and dark matter bit was a bit off but from a capital ship battle POV. you must get close enough to fire off enough rounds to do critical damage while not giving the enemy time to move out of the way wich is rather fast with their advanced thrusters. that said yes you could make some accurate shots from over 1000km. if they sat on their ass ud nail them for good damage. but they wont sit on their ass and brace for impact... they will move out of the way. they also have FTL drives, they dont need to worry about getting a stable orbit or inclination. they warp in close enough to fire a few good shots and then duke it out until a ship is criticaly damaged or runs away.
Thanks for the support but there is one problem. The FTL drives has cool down times. Also you can't warp to your hearts content. The field has to regenate. Also if object are caught as big as another ship are caught in your warp drive. It will cause a sub space rupture. Also Mac Cannons are one of the few UNSC the can penetrate sheilds but they need to be pretty close.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So technologically, the ships are inferior to what we have today???

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
There is no reason to assume that space combat will not happen at the top end of the range scale, like most naval battles in history BTW. If you have a range advantage, you will try to exploit it.

the railgun has a serious range advantage. but the covenant could close the distance rather quickly before the range could be completely exploited. the accuracy of weapons themselves isnt near-perfect either. the smallest magnetic distortion has a large effect over long range with a railgun and the covenant plasma weapons are inherantly inaccurate anyway

you also have to take into account that you probably wont know exactly where the enemy ship is or if its even still there. info from the otherside of a system could take a few minutes to reach you (if the signal is sent through a FTL network [again pulling this from mass effect]) or a few hours if you were in a seperate system. your intel wont be exact so you must guess where the enemy will be and hope your within range and far enough away when you come out of FTL

lets also assume that the race the got into space first and have populated/conquered most of the galexy have invented some sort of effective shield against kinetic weapons

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
a few good direct hits with a large railgun would disable a covenant ship. the shields arnt that strong. covenant ships dont have superior weapons. even from 300km they are vastly inacurate. as for debris, u might get hit but the armor is thick enough as not not take any serious damage. any damage you did take would be easily repaired after the battle. covenant weapons are slow moving, large spread, rapid fire projectiles. railguns fire much more damaging rounds at much higher velocities. they just cant get as many shots off as fast
Ok how can I put that into perspective...

oh yeah

LIES LIES LIES ok...
Covenant shields are that strong look it up! Also you have forgoten about the most important event in Halo...
REACH
REACH WAS OUR SHIPYARD we can not repair our ships like that anymore. Also if the ships outer skin is badley damaged enough than wap energy will leak into the ship. and cause unknown variables during warp causing the warp to be ... ugh
Do you know the size of these ships they can not be repaired that easily sure more can warp but there is a faliure point on UNSC Frigates. There is one weak point
The most commen "damage" is a missing of the front or back end of the frigate yeah the covenant can break these things in half from long range. But there clensing beams they use to that can not be used in that close range hense why battle occur so close to each other.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
the railgun has a serious range advantage. but the covenant could close the distance rather quickly before the range could be completely exploited. the accuracy of weapons themselves isnt near-perfect either. the smallest magnetic distortion has a large effect over long range with a railgun and the covenant plasma weapons are inherantly inaccurate anyway

lets also assume that the race the got into space first and have populated/conquered most of the galexy have invented some sort of effective shield against kinetic weapons
Wait, so...the UNSC weapons are slow to reload and more effective at long range than the Covenant weapons, so you want to move in close where the inaccuracy of their weapons won't matter as much and they'll be able to get off more shots?

And you justify moving close to the opponent by saying that they'd be moving close to you anyway?

When you play chess, do you move your king to the opponent's side first thing, because their pieces would be moving toward you anyway?

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
So technologically, the ships are inferior to what we have today???
No. We do have rail guns today but they are small and pretty much destroy themselves when they fire, great for battle;)

No the Covenant is way ahead of the UNSC tech wise is all I have to say. This is because the Covenant have reverse engineered forerunner technology and captured foruerunner egineers to do their bidding

---------- Post added at 07:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:59 PM ----------

Very possibly not, due to IP laws. You would need to talk to a real lawyer, or go and publish your stuff and I'm sure that if it's a violation, someone will be happy to talk to you.

Science fiction nonsense, anyway.

I'm sorry, what? There's still no audible sound 200km above the surface of the Earth, and again if you're close enough to the enemy ship for debris to hit your ship you're Doing It Wrong.

And I'm getting tired of proving you wrong...

Wait, in the 1930s they deployed microphones in space?

Disregarding that, you're thinking that "radio waves" are sound because when you tune in your radio you get sound. Not quite. Radio waves are a part of the EM spectrum (same as light) and have nothing to do with sound. A microphone does not pick up radio waves, a microphone picks up sounds. Radio waves have no sound.

No one with enough money to put a satellite in orbit would put a microphone on it, because they're smart enough to realize that there's no sound in space.

I hope you're not serious.

If you are close enough to an enemy vessel when it explodes for the air to still be able to carry sound waves when it reaches you, you are Doing It Wrong.

Yes, I've noticed. Your statements however come from a fundamental misunderstanding of what sound is, which is something you can easily correct if you care to do so.

THEY DID NOT DEPLOY THEM IN SPACE. They deployed them on the ground!!!! But they were designed that they could only hear things outside the range 200km.

Whoever said the sound was audible
I said i wasnt sure if they put microphones on satlites but they have put crazier stuff in space
EXAMPLE TRUE STORY
Shoemakers ashes were sent on probe that was going to crash into the moon and provide dust for the satelites to analize (I am not making this up) NASA did it because shoemaker always wanted to go into space. He discovered shoemaker levy 9. If you are to lazy to research this stuff and just want to be a critic
I DONT CARE I do not want to get concerned over issues I just want a HALO ADDON and if you want me to get a Bungie Employee on the phone and ask if it is okay I will. You do not think I asked one before posting anything? Are you crazy? I am not making this stuff up if you do not beleive me then you have a closed mine and do not belive in anything that you havn't already heard of all I want to do is recruit a team to build a Halo addon
WHO IS WITH ME!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Even modern artillery weapons don't such "large" variations in their fire. If artillery differs by 100m over a distance of 28 km, it is already firing at the own troops in the worst case. 100m over 28 km is just 12 minutes of arc, good artillery is accurate at one minute of arc, including effects which you don't have in space: Atmosphere&weather.

Also, if you have a range disadvantage, you still don't want to fly so close that unaimed shots (=debris of another spacecraft) hit you easily. If debris can already hit and damage you, how well will a gunner with a FCS do?

The bigger the distance to the opponent with the range advantage, the more you can exploit your mobility and the lower is the still better chance of the enemy to hit you.

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

THEY DID NOT DEPLOY THEM IN SPACE. They deployed them on the ground!!!! But they were designed that they could only hear things outside the range 200km.

Ah.

Did you read my post about the tiny tiny differences between SOUND and ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES?

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
OK, lets go a step back and assume you are just the typical Halo fanboy, ignorant of any real-world physics and thinking what you see in a computer game, calculated in the spare cycles of a CPU, bought from the lowest bidder, is the reality.

Radio waves are electromagnetic waves, which you receive with antennas, inducing alternating currents in the antenna. Radio waves need no medium, they are transported by photons.

Sound waves are mechanical/pressure waves, transmitted inside a medium at the speed of sound of the medium. Sound waves propagate by mechanical collisions between molecules. You usually use a membrane for turning these pressure waves into electrical signals.

What you mean is the Holmdel Horn Antenna, a horn type antenna used as radio telescope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holmdel_Horn_Antenna

Note that it wasn't installed in space and not installed in the 1930s - it was build in 1964. This is also no surprise, since the required technology for receiving such cosmic radio signals was result of the development of radar systems in the second world war. The Cosmic Microwave background radiation has a wavelength of only 1.9mm, this is ten times shorter than the wavelengths of WW2 radar.

Horn type antennas are no microphones, they don't even look like them. They amplify radio waves by acting as waveguide, a metal tube section which makes radio waves travel inside them, and which require to be at a special size fitting to the wavelength of the radio waves you want to receive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horn_(telecommunications)

Again, Halo is not the reality. It is not even close to it. It is a typical space shooter, which relies on a fictional plot and universe...and fictional physics. If this is now a unpleasant revelation to you, prepare for more in the future.

The shield technology you lecture long about, wouldn't even work if you feed enough energy into the claimed technology to make the hull of the spacecraft glow in the X-Ray spectrum (See Blackbody radiation).
FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT :cheers:

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
maybe u didnt read my edit. look back up. u wouldnt ALWAYS get in close but sometimes it is unavoidable. covenant ships are fast

most modern artillary weapons dont fire projectiles multiple times larger than themselves. they also dont use magnetic rails to launch said projectile
(by larger then themselves i mean the railgun round compared to the modern artillary)

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Can you please stop using capitals, it is quite rude to type in capitals.

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
Even modern artillery weapons don't such "large" variations in their fire. If artillery differs by 100m over a distance of 28 km, it is already firing at the own troops in the worst case. 100m over 28 km is just 12 minutes of arc, good artillery is accurate at one minute of arc, including effects which you don't have in space: Atmosphere&weather.

Also, if you have a range disadvantage, you still don't want to fly so close that unaimed shots (=debris of another spacecraft) hit you easily. If debris can already hit and damage you, how well will a gunner with a FCS do?

The bigger the distance to the opponent with the range advantage, the more you can exploit your mobility and the lower is the still better chance of the enemy to hit you.

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:05 AM ----------

Ah.

Did you read my post about the tiny tiny differences between SOUND and ELECTROMAGNETIC WAVES?

Yes I do understand it but light can be transfered to waves. Light is an electromagnetic disruption, all electrions are one but it is everywhere at once, and antimatter is matter that goes back in time ALL UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE:speakcool:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Whoever said the sound was audible
I said i wasnt sure if they put microphones on satlites but they have put crazier stuff in space
EXAMPLE TRUE STORY
Shoemakers ashes were sent on probe that was going to crash into the moon and provide dust for the satelites to analize (I am not making this up) NASA did it because shoemaker always wanted to go into space. He discovered shoemaker levy 9. If you are to lazy to research this stuff and just want to be a critic
I DONT CARE I do not want to get concerned over issues I just want a HALO ADDON and if you want me to get a Bungie Employee on the phone and ask if it is okay I will. You do not think I asked one before posting anything? Are you crazy? I am not making this stuff up if you do not beleive me then you have a closed mine and do not belive in anything that you havn't already heard of all I want to do is recruit a team to build a Halo addon
WHO IS WITH ME!
You have already had the mechanics of sound explained to you multiple times, and yet you're failing to understand.

Plus, sending someone's ashes into space is a sentimental thing to do. Sending a microphone into space would ostensibly be a scientific thing, but people who send things into space have enough scientific knowledge to know that a microphone in space would hear exactly nothing.

FINALLY SOMEONE WHO KNOWS WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT :cheers:
He's not agreeing with you.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Yes I do understand it but light can be transfered to waves. Light is an electromagnetic disruption, all electrions are one but it is everywhere at once, and antimatter is matter that goes back in time ALL UNBELIEVABLE BUT TRUE:speakcool:

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score

um... stick to halo physics....

goop

ShipMaster
Reaction score
You have already had the mechanics of sound explained to you multiple times, and yet you're failing to understand.

Plus, sending someone's ashes into space is a sentimental thing to do. Sending a microphone into space would ostensibly be a scientific thing, but people who send things into space have enough scientific knowledge to know that a microphone in space would hear exactly nothing.

He's not agreeing with you.

---------- Post added at 04:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:12 PM ----------

Ok you are not satisifed here is another example, they sent a dinosaur bone on the space shuttle. They have deployed a giant radiation meter (i forget what they are called) and accidently discovered gamma ray burst. And once again I am not intrested in STS missions so who knows what else they have sent up there. All you want to do is prove your point and make people sound crazy so people will listen to you. You may not know it but that is what you are thinking subconiously,
I am sorry I got opitcal and auditory physics confused again so you can not hear explosions but you can hear stuff hiting yours shuttle.

---------- Post added at 07:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:18 PM ----------

um... stick to halo physics....
I really find quantum physics fasinitng. Like warp physics is fun.
If you warp past warp 9 which is the c to the 128 power, c standing for the speed of light, it is considered teleporting.