"Guidance has Converged"

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
New version 0.10 of [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4681"]SideMountHLV[/ame] in the usual place.

The documentation on the SDHLV says that it targets a 120x30 nautical mile (220x60km) insertion orbit. This is suspiciously similar to the space shuttle direct ascent orbit, which burns out at 109km altitude. This orbit has its perigee in the atmosphere, so that the tank deorbits and falls in the ocean. The shuttle, or in this case the barge, needs a small OMS-2 maneuver to stay in orbit, executed at first apogee. So now OMS-2 is required. The barge has 1.6 metric tons of fuel, a 20kN engine and a set of RCS thrusters to do OMS-2. With an 80 ton load, this is about 62m/s, just barely enough to circularize, but not enough to finish a rendezvous with the station. It will still have to be towed the rest of the way. Installing 4 or 5 tons of fuel will probably be enough to get it there.

It sure seems wasteful to dump 60 tons of aluminum and three perfectly good engines in the ocean, so I suggest orbiting the whole thing direct to 185x185km and towing the whole thing to ISS or something. With some good tools and welding torches, they could actually build something in space, rather than just assemble like legos.

Now I need a panel. But how do you install a panel for an unmanned rocket? First off, the viewpoint should be on the rocketcam, default looking backwards, with another position looking forward.

Now for the panel. I have a widescreen 1920x1200 monitor (do you covet it yet?) and I want slots for two MFDs, probably both on the left, and buttons and switches and a dedicated display for the autopilot on the right. The autopilot display will be closely following the existing PEG MFD display, with the launch trajectory and perhaps some numbers on it, but the controls will be azimuth, apogee and perigee altitude, and burnout altitude. There will be a display for targeted inclination and burnout true anomaly, but these are not controls, only calculated displays.

Is there anything else you would like to see on the panel or otherwise? Have you encountered any bugs? Please let me know.